General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User BrianC1
(newbie) Fri 18-Aug-17 14:53:25
Print Post

IPv6 from BT

[link to this post]

BT have magically and seamlessly put me on IPv6. They didn't even send me a self-congratulatory email. I only discovered by accident and I guess it's a good thing. But nothing seems to have changed either for better or for worse. I was sort of hoping for at least something to change! Is that the general experience?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Aug-17 15:00:11
Print Post

Re: IPv6 from BT

[re: BrianC1] [link to this post]

They've been rolling out IPv6 for some time. For the most part unless you actively try to go to an IPv6 site then you won't see any difference. Thinkbroadband run IPv6 versions of the speedtester and I think possibly the site as well so you can tinker with that.

Ultimately this is a step along the path to a move to IPv6 in general. Until there gets to be a wave of ISPs and web hosts moving to IPv6 then it will never happen - BT are doing their bit in not being a blocker to the new protocol coming in to wider use.

However, without concerted international effort little will really change as we keep finding new ways to live with the limitations of IPv4.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 18-Aug-17 15:50:36
Print Post

Re: IPv6 from BT

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

The speed test at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest should detect if you are dual stack and it will default to IPv6 and other a test via IPv4 button.

In most scenarios the results should be the same, but routing could have IPv6 going on way and IPv4 another hence why some want option to choose.

In day to day use IPv6 should be invisible to people.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to