General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User miamirick
(newbie) Wed 23-Aug-17 13:11:53
Print Post

Home Hub 5 and HG612

[link to this post]

Hello everyone, first time posting here so forgive me if this is in the wrong place.

We're going to be moving house soon, and we've planned out a much better network than we have right now, which consists of a BT Hub 5 that does everything. In anticiapation of this, I've purchased an EchoLife HG612 3B modem from eBay, but I want to test it works whilst I still have the option to send it back if it's faulty.
(Oh, and I believe the modem is unlocked as there is a webUI on 192.168.1.1)

I've tried taking the grey DSL cord from the hub 5 and plugging it into the modem, along with 2 Ethernet cables, LAN1 to the red WAN socket, and LAN2 to the third LAN port on the hub.

On powering it up I can access the modem's webui fine, and it says that it's connected with ADSL2+, however the hub alternates between solid and flashing orange and I can't get it to connect to the Internet. It just hangs at "PPP connecting..." then just returns saying it's disconnected.

I've tried plugging the modem straight into my PC on LAN1, however attempting to connect with PPPoE just results in Windows crashing with a Stop error...

On plugging the DSL back into the Hub (and a few reboots), it works fine again. Have I configured something wrong here? I've factory reset both the Hub and the modem (10 second press on the reset button on the back), and nothing works. I know the DSL line is working fine as it works with the Hub.

Any ideas? If it's faulty I can send it back, or does anybody have any suggestions of a good third-party VDSL2 modem? (We're just moving onto a different street, but I believe that the cabinet there is enabled for fibre, I checked on the website)
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 23-Aug-17 14:49:48
Print Post

Re: Home Hub 5 and HG612

[re: miamirick] [link to this post]

Which isp?

Which website did you check on?

Is the hg612 configured as an ADSL bridge?

Edited by BatBoy (Wed 23-Aug-17 14:54:33)

Standard User bill888
(committed) Wed 23-Aug-17 15:28:06
Print Post

Re: Home Hub 5 and HG612 *DELETED*

Post deleted by bill888

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User miamirick
(newbie) Wed 23-Aug-17 15:37:57
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

The HG612 is default settings, haven't changed anything.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 23-Aug-17 15:46:41
Print Post

The default is a vdsl bridge, not configured for adsl
Standard User Realalemadrid
(member) Wed 23-Aug-17 15:47:47
Print Post

In that case it is still configured for VDSL which is the default, it needs to be changed to ATM mode to work on an ADSL line. Have a look at this thread which is quite long!
hg612_adsl
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 23-Aug-17 15:53:40
Print Post

The Hub 5 will connect on its own without the HG612? Can I confirm why this is being used?
Standard User miamirick
(newbie) Wed 23-Aug-17 16:02:25
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Because we're moving to a house where we want to have a seperate modem > router > switch configuration, with a different provider, I just want to confirm that the modem works.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 23-Aug-17 16:07:33
Print Post

I think you'll be better risking it will work rather than reconfiguring the modem for adsl
Standard User Realalemadrid
(member) Wed 23-Aug-17 16:17:09
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

That would spoil all the fun of messing around with the configuration! A full reset will put it back to VDSL when required.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to