General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User scr0t
(member) Fri 25-Aug-17 10:26:17
Print Post

Additional line - socket location

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'm getting an additional line put in, at the moment the line enters via dropwire to the front of the house - I'd like the additional line to have the socket at the rear where my office is.

How much leeway is there to have the socket where I want? From what I've seen the dropwire is 2 pair (Orange/White/Green/Black), so I assume the engineer would want to use the spare pair for this?

If this is the case, I would assume the engineer would need to put a junction box where the dropwire currently hits the property and run 2 lead ins from there. Is that correct?
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Aug-17 13:27:33
Print Post

Re: Additional line - socket location

[re: scr0t] [link to this post]

We had a second line added in 2005.

At the time, the existing underground feed had 2 pairs, and one went through into the front of the house just above the point the ducting emerged from the ground. The other was left unused behind the cover.

The engineer took the second pair, and jointed new external cable to run it around the outside of the house, to the back, and then up to the upstairs level, to a bedroom we used as an office. The master socket for that line went there.

The joint stayed under the original cover, and didn't get a new junction box. It might be different for an overhead drop wire.
  Print Thread

Jump to