General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User chr15athome
(newbie) Mon 04-Sep-17 13:13:44
Print Post

Moving BT Master Socket

[link to this post]

Hope I am posting this in the correct place, i tried to post on my phone but could not see it on here so appologies if this has been posted twice.

I have tried my current provider NOWTV and openreach and BT and all have fobbed me off with moving this for me, happy to pay.

So having looked at the cabling and some research online I don't think it would be a major job to do myself (BT have said I can move it as it is no longer theirs). Having checked the junction box on the window cill there are 2 black wires coming in from the main line and this then branches off into the more modern coloured wires.

I am thinking that I can just trace the 2 black cables back out of the wall and bring them back (2ft difference) into the dining room where the router is.

Then I would buy a new NTE5 master socket (screw terminal type) with 1 phone and 1 adsl filter.
Assuming the 2 black cables screw onto the A and B terminals and the faceplates I would just pair off with the new colours, assuming orange and blue but there is plenty of online info for the new colours.

Does that sound about right?

Thanks

Chris
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 04-Sep-17 13:28:48
Print Post

Re: Moving BT Master Socket

[re: chr15athome] [link to this post]

Photos would help. You could upload photos to http://imgbb.com/ and post a link here - no need to create an account there
(newbie) Mon 04-Sep-17 13:36:25
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply.
Ok I will do when I get home.

Thanks

Chris

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Sep-17 14:22:33
Print Post

You are not clear on what you are trying to achieve, if a socket move NOWTV (assuming you have line rental with them) can arrange this for around £130. This is very clearly BT property if it is prior to your master socket and hence any damage you do will be chargeable repair.

Just to be clear what is the end goal?
(newbie) Mon 04-Sep-17 14:36:04
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Currently the cables come in through the front porch and run all over the hallway across skirtings and round most of the the doors with a large bell for the phone and extensions running all over the house. The current position of the master socket is also not well placed in the dining room as the nearest socket is on the opposite wall and means cables trailing all over. Not very baby friendly.

I am removing all of the old skirtings and floors so these cables need removing or making redundant first.

In regards to BT:
I have called NOWTV who just direct me to openreach(OR), OR say they can't work directly with me and that NOWTV need to arrange it, have chatted online with NOWTV about 10 times, they will not organise it and told me to seek my own sparky. I called BT to complain and they said that I can arrange someone else to do the work as they can't do it and that the line is no longer owned by them and is owned by whoever took over the line (assuming NOWTV/OR).

Cost of the move is not an issue, am happy to pay it but even finding a sparky that will do the work has proved impossible.

Thanks

Chris
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 04-Sep-17 14:37:34
Print Post

Responsibility to take the money and arrange the shift of the NTE is with NOW TV, Openreach will carry it out but only on the orders of NOWTV (or Sky who actually run NOWTV)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Mon 04-Sep-17 14:41:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I know but all they will do is give me the openreach number to call and tell me that I have to arrange it myself. Called the number 3 times got through once after an hour on hold to be told that I can't call them directly as you are stating.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Sep-17 15:03:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by chr15athome:
I know but all they will do is give me the openreach number to call and tell me that I have to arrange it myself. Called the number 3 times got through once after an hour on hold to be told that I can't call them directly as you are stating.
Plenty of users on the Sky Forums also state never being able to get Sky to agree to a socket move. The actual work required is quite basic, but as always, a small risk attached. A pretty sure-fire way to get it resolved is to cut all of the cabling out, then call and state the builder cut everything out as part of the refurbs. You will be charged and a couple of days downtime. EDIT: This is how others on the sky forum have got it "done." Not ideal...

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 04-Sep-17 15:03:42)

(newbie) Mon 04-Sep-17 15:31:38
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

haha not sure I want to go to that length.

This is the message from NOWTV:

arron: So I have found some info on relocating the master socket
arron: this is the info I have found
"looking for an extra socket to be installed or the relocation of an existing socket, we're unable to provide this service and an independent company should be contacted"
(newbie) Mon 04-Sep-17 15:32:59
Print Post

But them when I mentioned cancelling they suddenly decided they could organise an openreach engineer. Then the 2 hour chat just dropped.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to