General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User shalebing
(newbie) Wed 06-Sep-17 10:06:43
Print Post

Broadband speed painfully slow

[link to this post]

Apologies if this is in the wrong area of the forum - admin please move if necessary.

For over a week now my broadband speed has been extremely poor. I live in a rural location so speeds are generally not great anyway as the local exchange is about 2 miles away and all cabling is still copper wire. Usually I get around 1-1.2Mbps which is at least usable, however I am now stuck on a paltry 0.10-0.15Mbps which is pathetic and I keep being timed out of some websites. I have contacted my ISP - Fleur Telecom - who have been running some diagnostics and they can't find what is wrong as all their ping tests and trace tests don't show anything amiss. Speaking to them today the operator noticed that I pay my line rental to BT and not to Fleur Telecom (I only have a calls and broadband package with Fleur) and he advised me to contact BT and get them to do line checks - I think he just wanted rid of me! So I contacted BT, explained the problem and, you've guessed it, they said they could not help as I don't have their broadband package, although the guy did run a line test which he said was fine.

I'm now stuck in no man's land and am unsure what to do next as surely someone somewhere must know why my speed has suddenly plummeted. I'm wary about simply moving to another ISP in case the problem is still evident.

I have been using the speed test at speedtest.btwholesale.com which is the one Fleur Telecom advised to use.

Things I did myself before reporting the problem to Fleur Telecom:

- I have a Dell desktop PC hard wired to a Linksys router. All LEDs on the router are green. The router is never used in wireless mode.

- Although the router is not connected to the primary BT socket, it never has been and performance has never been this bad previously.

- The PC and router have been rebooted a number of times.

- I have tried two different browsers, Chrome and Firefox, and performance is equally as bad on both.

- I have cleared out the temp internet files folder on both browsers and run a detailed virus scan and malware scan.

- I have carried out a hard reset on the router and re-entered all the settings data which I had stored in a PDF file.

- I have changed the ADSL filter twice.

- As yet I havn't moved the PC and router to the master socket as they have always been plugged into the one I'm using and have been no problem up until now.

What really baffles me is why the ping and tracert tests show no apparent problems - using google.com as a test times are around 46-50ms - but when I use my browser to access the same websites they take ages and I am often timed out.
Standard User kebabselector
(member) Wed 06-Sep-17 10:25:49
Print Post

Re: Broadband speed painfully slow

[re: shalebing] [link to this post]

As yet I havn't moved the PC and router to the master socket as they have always been plugged into the one I'm using and have been no problem up until now.

Test it in the master socket - if Openreach visit and it's determined your internal cabling is at fault you will be charged for the visit.

ISP's:
Zen: Around 6mb down - .8mb up
JohnLewis BB: Around 6mb down - .6mb up
Stechford (CMSTE) Cab 50 - Currently one step closer to the dream....
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 06-Sep-17 10:58:03
Print Post

Even when runnning properly, I would have expected better than 1-1.2 Mbps at 2 miles. I am that distance from my exchange and from memory, when on ADSL I was seeing well over 6Mbps. I have access to one line of around 5-6miles which was getting 1.5 to 2 Mbps.

Can you test at teh incoming master with NOTHING else connected except the modem or hub and are you able to access your line stats showing attenuation, SNR and speeds both up and down?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Sep-17 11:26:31
Print Post

Run a speed test at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest and post the results link so people can take a look.

Also do you know how the access the ADSL stats i.e. connection speed, attenuation and noise margin from the Linksys router, posting those will help people judge whats going on.

Ping and tracert use very little data and on a well running slow line will still look good, but websites have a lot more data so can be slow to low. Issues such as very bad DNS lookups can also have an impact and can sometimes be seen as a big gap at the start of our speedtest.

If the phone line is working and is crystal clear as normal and its just broadband with an issue then its down to Fleur telecom to liase with their providers to get any potential fault investigated.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User shalebing
(newbie) Wed 06-Sep-17 12:37:24
Print Post

Re: Broadband speed painfully slow *DELETED*

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Post deleted by shalebing
Standard User shalebing
(newbie) Wed 06-Sep-17 12:38:30
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Even when runnning properly, I would have expected better than 1-1.2 Mbps at 2 miles. I am that distance from my exchange and from memory, when on ADSL I was seeing well over 6Mbps. I have access to one line of around 5-6miles which was getting 1.5 to 2 Mbps.

Can you test at teh incoming master with NOTHING else connected except the modem or hub and are you able to access your line stats showing attenuation, SNR and speeds both up and down?

My exchange is still all copper though - is any part of your connection fibre?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Sep-17 12:43:37
Print Post

The ADSL speed referred to would have been all copper, and same with the one at 5 to 6 miles.

2 miles is around 3.5km and plenty of people have seen speeds in the 5 to 6 Mbps region from copper ADSL/ADSL2+ hence raising the question.

Attenuation figures from the modem would help settle any line length questions

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User shalebing
(newbie) Wed 06-Sep-17 12:44:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Run a speed test at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest and post the results link so people can take a look.

Also do you know how the access the ADSL stats i.e. connection speed, attenuation and noise margin from the Linksys router, posting those will help people judge whats going on.

Ping and tracert use very little data and on a well running slow line will still look good, but websites have a lot more data so can be slow to low. Issues such as very bad DNS lookups can also have an impact and can sometimes be seen as a big gap at the start of our speedtest.

If the phone line is working and is crystal clear as normal and its just broadband with an issue then its down to Fleur telecom to liase with their providers to get any potential fault investigated.

I have ran the test as you suggested but can't see an option to post an image to this forum. The only thing I know about accessing the Linksys router is by using the 192.168.1.1 address to check settings etc.

I think I need to use the master socket as my next test and if there is still a problem I'll put the ball back in Fleur Telecom's court.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 06-Sep-17 12:57:34
Print Post

MrS have covered this in his reply.

M H C

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 06-Sep-17 13:03:33
Print Post

When you run the test there there is a button to go to the Results Page. Click that and you will see a similar graph with a URL below.

Copy and paste the URL

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15046991651... is one I have just run - there are too many things going on fo r mine to be meaningful but it demonstrates how you can make your test available,

Don't know LinkSys router but when you access it for setting there may be a Diagnostics or Stats tab ...

M H C

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to