General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User shalebing
(newbie) Wed 06-Sep-17 13:14:54
Print Post

Re: Broadband speed painfully slow

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks MHC.

This the link to the speed test - https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15046998283...

These are the stats from the Linksys router - hope these are what you mean.

Software Version: 1.09
ADSL Version: 6.0.2.0
Boot Code Version: 0.01
MAC Address: 00-16-B6-FB-23-F5
DSL Status

DSL Status: UP
DSL Modulation Mode: Auto
DSL Path Mode: INTERLEAVED
Downstream Rate: 160 Kbps
Upstream Rate: 448 Kbps
Downstream Margin: 15 db
Upstream Margin: 20 db
Downstream Line Attenuation: 45
Upstream Line Attenuation: 56
Downstream Transmit Power: 12
Upstream Transmit Power: 12
LOS Errors: 0
Internet Connection

PPP Login: Up
Internet IP Address: [removed]
Internet Netmask: 255.0.0.0
Internet Gateway: [removed]

Edited by MrSaffron (Wed 06-Sep-17 13:40:42)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 06-Sep-17 13:38:09
Print Post

[re: shalebing] [link to this post]

Yes, those are enough to start with.

Based on a 45dB attenuation you should, depending on ADSL mode - ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+ be seeing speeds in the 5 to possibly 8 Mbps.

Try MsS's calculator http://coolwebhome.co.uk/calc/ and see what it suggests. Even your 1-1.2 Mbps is abysmal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Sep-17 13:39:58
Print Post

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/calc/index.php?param=RG...

Bad across the board...

The 160 Kbps is lowest sync speed possible, and at 45dB attenuation would expect a lot more, more in the 4 to 6 Mbps region as others have suggested.

If these connection speeds are when you are using the test socket (and at that time no other sockets in the home should have dial tone) then a respectable provider would recognise those stats as indicating a fault exists somewhere in the copper local loop and needs resolution.

NOTE: The 15dB downstream margin is this was reset, which can be done as part of a fault investigation, reset down to the standard 6dB your speeds would improve and maybe towards your usual 1 to 1.5 Mbps but even then it looks like there is an underlying fault.

Daft question....the telephone line does work?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User shalebing
(newbie) Wed 06-Sep-17 13:45:42
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

MHC - According to any broadband site I have tried, my postcode/landline number always comes up as a maximum of 2Mb for this area - postcode is EH55 8XE. To be honest, the way it is at the moment I'd be happy just to get my old 1Mb back!

Mr Saffron - yes the phone works fine with no noise or crackle.

Edited by shalebing (Wed 06-Sep-17 13:49:13)

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Sep-17 13:47:24
Print Post

Eeek,

A 45dB attenuation does indeed equate to 3.3km, or 2 miles. But it ought to get a sync speed closer to 6Mbps, and a throughput speed closer to 5Mbps.

Your actual sync speed is 160kbps, or 0.16Mbps.

There is no point running more speedtests - not until you get a higher sync speed. The higher sync speed is all you need to concentrate on for now.

So ... what to concentrate on? You'd have to say there was a line fault with this kind of speed, so the first steps are in checking your internal wiring, and the second steps will be on working to get an Openreach engineer to attend.

When it comes to the second step, the route will depend whether there are any obvious voice problems on the line (so you'd deal with BT), or if it is only a problem with broadband (in which case, deal with Fleur).

Step 1 ... the internal wiring.
The general recommendation is to try connecting the modem to the test socket inside the NTE, and make sure that all extensions have been disconnected from the line (so you can't get dial tone when plugging a phone into them).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Sep-17 13:52:15
Print Post

A few things

The exchange only offers ADSL, so I'd revise my estimate for that attenuation to 3 to 5 Mbps and attenuation matches the 3.5km from postcode to exchange, so looks good

Someone on a BT connection very near is getting 1.6 Mbps from speed tests, so a connection speed in the 2 Mbps region.

If you have not yet, then do a modem off, count to 10 and modem on and see if any of the figures in the stats have changed, namely the downstream connection speed (160 Kbps) and downstream noise margin 15dB.

Checking with the neighbours and getting them to run speed tests will help build a picture of what is really possible in the area.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User shalebing
(newbie) Wed 06-Sep-17 13:56:05
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
Eeek,

A 45dB attenuation does indeed equate to 3.3km, or 2 miles. But it ought to get a sync speed closer to 6Mbps, and a throughput speed closer to 5Mbps.

Your actual sync speed is 160kbps, or 0.16Mbps.

There is no point running more speedtests - not until you get a higher sync speed. The higher sync speed is all you need to concentrate on for now.

So ... what to concentrate on? You'd have to say there was a line fault with this kind of speed, so the first steps are in checking your internal wiring, and the second steps will be on working to get an Openreach engineer to attend.

When it comes to the second step, the route will depend whether there are any obvious voice problems on the line (so you'd deal with BT), or if it is only a problem with broadband (in which case, deal with Fleur).

Step 1 ... the internal wiring.
The general recommendation is to try connecting the modem to the test socket inside the NTE, and make sure that all extensions have been disconnected from the line (so you can't get dial tone when plugging a phone into them).

Thanks WWWombat - now bear in mind I am not as technically gifted as you guys so I'm assuming the 'test socket' is the master socket? This was certainly my next step to try. Sorry, I have no idea what NTE is. smile

With regard to voice performance that is fine and when I spoke to the BT call centre yesterday he did a check on the line (allegedly) and found no problem.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Sep-17 13:56:39
Print Post

Future

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

As others said testing at the test socket is important now.

On future FTTC/VDSL2 looks like it may becoming to your cabinet 1 area by the end of December 2017 but don't hold your breath these things sometimes do change.

Standard User shalebing
(newbie) Wed 06-Sep-17 14:07:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
A few things

The exchange only offers ADSL, so I'd revise my estimate for that attenuation to 3 to 5 Mbps and attenuation matches the 3.5km from postcode to exchange, so looks good

Someone on a BT connection very near is getting 1.6 Mbps from speed tests, so a connection speed in the 2 Mbps region.

If you have not yet, then do a modem off, count to 10 and modem on and see if any of the figures in the stats have changed, namely the downstream connection speed (160 Kbps) and downstream noise margin 15dB.

Checking with the neighbours and getting them to run speed tests will help build a picture of what is really possible in the area.

These are the stats after a modem off for 10 secs.

Software Version: 1.09
ADSL Version: 6.0.2.0
Boot Code Version: 0.01
MAC Address: 00-16-B6-FB-23-F5
DSL Status

DSL Status: UP
DSL Modulation Mode: Auto
DSL Path Mode: INTERLEAVED
Downstream Rate: 160 Kbps
Upstream Rate: 448 Kbps
Downstream Margin: 15 db
Upstream Margin: 20 db
Downstream Line Attenuation: 45
Upstream Line Attenuation: 57
Downstream Transmit Power: 12
Upstream Transmit Power: 12
LOS Errors: 0
Internet Connection

PPP Login: Up
Internet IP Address: premoved]
Internet Netmask: 255.0.0.0
Internet Gateway: [removed]

Edited by MrSaffron (Wed 06-Sep-17 14:13:22)

Standard User shalebing
(newbie) Wed 06-Sep-17 14:10:03
Print Post

Re: Future

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
As others said testing at the test socket is important now.

On future FTTC/VDSL2 looks like it may becoming to your cabinet 1 area by the end of December 2017 but don't hold your breath these things sometimes do change.

Yes, our local community council have been in discussions about upgraded broadband for the past couple of years and the goalposts seem to move every other month. Last we heard there was a possibility we might be among the 5% of the country that won't get fibre!
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to