General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Sep-17 16:05:06
Print Post

Re: Broadband speed painfully slow

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

The home plug using the mains to get Ethernet between rooms is getting pretty cheap now http://amzn.to/2wG26N7 £24.99

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Sep-17 16:06:07
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

I see 45dB downstream attenuation, the upstream is looking odd as usually less than the downstream, but it may be old firmware that has reporting bugs.

The key is that the sync speed has gone up once internal wiring removed.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 06-Sep-17 16:18:22
Print Post

[re: shalebing] [link to this post]

Following on from MrS's comments and suggestions, how easy would it be to run a new cable from where the master is, up to where your PC is located?

If it is a simple task, then you could look at an Ethernet cable between the two locations.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Sep-17 16:27:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The key is that the sync speed has gone up once internal wiring removed.

Sure, the connection should now be stable and download throughput improved with a target downstream SNRM of 12dB or 15dB smile
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Sep-17 16:43:55
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Following on from MrS's comments and suggestions, how easy would it be to run a new cable from where the master is, up to where your PC is located?

If it is a simple task, then you could look at an Ethernet cable between the two locations.

Yes, I've even used very long ethernet patch cables between routers and computers and got well in excess of 800Mbps transfer speeds. Don't like homeplugs though!
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Sep-17 16:45:10
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

And following on from that another question to the OP...

As there are a number of sockets is there anything plugged in to those sockets? Do all the sockets have filters on them? Is there a sky box connected to the phone line?

If anything is connected and not filtered then it will be causing issues. Sky boxes are notorious for causing problems and these days shouldn't need to be connected to the phone line at all.
Standard User shalebing
(newbie) Wed 06-Sep-17 18:59:40
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
And following on from that another question to the OP...

As there are a number of sockets is there anything plugged in to those sockets? Do all the sockets have filters on them? Is there a sky box connected to the phone line?

If anything is connected and not filtered then it will be causing issues. Sky boxes are notorious for causing problems and these days shouldn't need to be connected to the phone line at all.

Only sockets in use are the master one in living room where telephone plugged in and the one in spare bedroom which I used for the router. Both have filters fitted. I don't have a sky box.

Edited by shalebing (Wed 06-Sep-17 19:00:54)

Standard User shalebing
(newbie) Wed 06-Sep-17 19:06:07
Print Post

Many thanks for all the helpful advice and patience with a layman where broadband issues are concerned. My plan of attack is to have the router plugged into the master socket and connected to the PC using home plugs. The latter may not be everyone's ideal solution but for my situation it is preferable to trying to link a permanent ethernet cable between the two. If the plugs don't work then I shall have to have a re-think.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Sep-17 19:19:22
Print Post

Instead of messing about with wifi home plugs It might be cheaper and far more convenient to just install a half decent PCI wifi card in your desktop such as this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WN881ND-Wireless...

Or if you prefer a USB wifi adaptor for simplicity

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WN823N-Mbps-Wire...

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10 running Voxel

Edited by baby_frogmella (Wed 06-Sep-17 19:20:02)

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Sep-17 19:26:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by shalebing:
I have two sockets in living room (one being the master) and one in each of two bedrooms. One of the bedrooms is where my PC resides so I need that one certainly as I don't want the PC in the living room. I don't really fancy doing away with extension sockets or mucking around with rewiring faceplates...

If you retain the 3 unfiltered extensions (possibly with the bell wires still connected?) you might be back to square one, regarding downstream sync speed, even with the use of homeplugs linking router to computer.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to