General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User shalebing
(newbie) Wed 06-Sep-17 10:06:43
Print Post

Broadband speed painfully slow

[link to this post]

Apologies if this is in the wrong area of the forum - admin please move if necessary.

For over a week now my broadband speed has been extremely poor. I live in a rural location so speeds are generally not great anyway as the local exchange is about 2 miles away and all cabling is still copper wire. Usually I get around 1-1.2Mbps which is at least usable, however I am now stuck on a paltry 0.10-0.15Mbps which is pathetic and I keep being timed out of some websites. I have contacted my ISP - Fleur Telecom - who have been running some diagnostics and they can't find what is wrong as all their ping tests and trace tests don't show anything amiss. Speaking to them today the operator noticed that I pay my line rental to BT and not to Fleur Telecom (I only have a calls and broadband package with Fleur) and he advised me to contact BT and get them to do line checks - I think he just wanted rid of me! So I contacted BT, explained the problem and, you've guessed it, they said they could not help as I don't have their broadband package, although the guy did run a line test which he said was fine.

I'm now stuck in no man's land and am unsure what to do next as surely someone somewhere must know why my speed has suddenly plummeted. I'm wary about simply moving to another ISP in case the problem is still evident.

I have been using the speed test at speedtest.btwholesale.com which is the one Fleur Telecom advised to use.

Things I did myself before reporting the problem to Fleur Telecom:

- I have a Dell desktop PC hard wired to a Linksys router. All LEDs on the router are green. The router is never used in wireless mode.

- Although the router is not connected to the primary BT socket, it never has been and performance has never been this bad previously.

- The PC and router have been rebooted a number of times.

- I have tried two different browsers, Chrome and Firefox, and performance is equally as bad on both.

- I have cleared out the temp internet files folder on both browsers and run a detailed virus scan and malware scan.

- I have carried out a hard reset on the router and re-entered all the settings data which I had stored in a PDF file.

- I have changed the ADSL filter twice.

- As yet I havn't moved the PC and router to the master socket as they have always been plugged into the one I'm using and have been no problem up until now.

What really baffles me is why the ping and tracert tests show no apparent problems - using google.com as a test times are around 46-50ms - but when I use my browser to access the same websites they take ages and I am often timed out.
Standard User kebabselector
(member) Wed 06-Sep-17 10:25:49
Print Post

Re: Broadband speed painfully slow

[re: shalebing] [link to this post]

As yet I havn't moved the PC and router to the master socket as they have always been plugged into the one I'm using and have been no problem up until now.

Test it in the master socket - if Openreach visit and it's determined your internal cabling is at fault you will be charged for the visit.

ISP's:
Zen: Around 6mb down - .8mb up
JohnLewis BB: Around 6mb down - .6mb up
Stechford (CMSTE) Cab 50 - Currently one step closer to the dream....
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 06-Sep-17 10:58:03
Print Post

Even when runnning properly, I would have expected better than 1-1.2 Mbps at 2 miles. I am that distance from my exchange and from memory, when on ADSL I was seeing well over 6Mbps. I have access to one line of around 5-6miles which was getting 1.5 to 2 Mbps.

Can you test at teh incoming master with NOTHING else connected except the modem or hub and are you able to access your line stats showing attenuation, SNR and speeds both up and down?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Sep-17 11:26:31
Print Post

Run a speed test at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest and post the results link so people can take a look.

Also do you know how the access the ADSL stats i.e. connection speed, attenuation and noise margin from the Linksys router, posting those will help people judge whats going on.

Ping and tracert use very little data and on a well running slow line will still look good, but websites have a lot more data so can be slow to low. Issues such as very bad DNS lookups can also have an impact and can sometimes be seen as a big gap at the start of our speedtest.

If the phone line is working and is crystal clear as normal and its just broadband with an issue then its down to Fleur telecom to liase with their providers to get any potential fault investigated.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User shalebing
(newbie) Wed 06-Sep-17 12:37:24
Print Post

Re: Broadband speed painfully slow *DELETED*

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Post deleted by shalebing
Standard User shalebing
(newbie) Wed 06-Sep-17 12:38:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:
Even when runnning properly, I would have expected better than 1-1.2 Mbps at 2 miles. I am that distance from my exchange and from memory, when on ADSL I was seeing well over 6Mbps. I have access to one line of around 5-6miles which was getting 1.5 to 2 Mbps.

Can you test at teh incoming master with NOTHING else connected except the modem or hub and are you able to access your line stats showing attenuation, SNR and speeds both up and down?

My exchange is still all copper though - is any part of your connection fibre?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Sep-17 12:43:37
Print Post

The ADSL speed referred to would have been all copper, and same with the one at 5 to 6 miles.

2 miles is around 3.5km and plenty of people have seen speeds in the 5 to 6 Mbps region from copper ADSL/ADSL2+ hence raising the question.

Attenuation figures from the modem would help settle any line length questions

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User shalebing
(newbie) Wed 06-Sep-17 12:44:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Run a speed test at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest and post the results link so people can take a look.

Also do you know how the access the ADSL stats i.e. connection speed, attenuation and noise margin from the Linksys router, posting those will help people judge whats going on.

Ping and tracert use very little data and on a well running slow line will still look good, but websites have a lot more data so can be slow to low. Issues such as very bad DNS lookups can also have an impact and can sometimes be seen as a big gap at the start of our speedtest.

If the phone line is working and is crystal clear as normal and its just broadband with an issue then its down to Fleur telecom to liase with their providers to get any potential fault investigated.

I have ran the test as you suggested but can't see an option to post an image to this forum. The only thing I know about accessing the Linksys router is by using the 192.168.1.1 address to check settings etc.

I think I need to use the master socket as my next test and if there is still a problem I'll put the ball back in Fleur Telecom's court.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 06-Sep-17 12:57:34
Print Post

MrS have covered this in his reply.

M H C

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 06-Sep-17 13:03:33
Print Post

When you run the test there there is a button to go to the Results Page. Click that and you will see a similar graph with a URL below.

Copy and paste the URL

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15046991651... is one I have just run - there are too many things going on fo r mine to be meaningful but it demonstrates how you can make your test available,

Don't know LinkSys router but when you access it for setting there may be a Diagnostics or Stats tab ...

M H C

Standard User shalebing
(newbie) Wed 06-Sep-17 13:14:54
Print Post

Thanks MHC.

This the link to the speed test - https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15046998283...

These are the stats from the Linksys router - hope these are what you mean.

Software Version: 1.09
ADSL Version: 6.0.2.0
Boot Code Version: 0.01
MAC Address: 00-16-B6-FB-23-F5
DSL Status

DSL Status: UP
DSL Modulation Mode: Auto
DSL Path Mode: INTERLEAVED
Downstream Rate: 160 Kbps
Upstream Rate: 448 Kbps
Downstream Margin: 15 db
Upstream Margin: 20 db
Downstream Line Attenuation: 45
Upstream Line Attenuation: 56
Downstream Transmit Power: 12
Upstream Transmit Power: 12
LOS Errors: 0
Internet Connection

PPP Login: Up
Internet IP Address: [removed]
Internet Netmask: 255.0.0.0
Internet Gateway: [removed]

Edited by MrSaffron (Wed 06-Sep-17 13:40:42)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 06-Sep-17 13:38:09
Print Post

Yes, those are enough to start with.

Based on a 45dB attenuation you should, depending on ADSL mode - ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+ be seeing speeds in the 5 to possibly 8 Mbps.

Try MsS's calculator http://coolwebhome.co.uk/calc/ and see what it suggests. Even your 1-1.2 Mbps is abysmal.

M H C

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Sep-17 13:39:58
Print Post

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/calc/index.php?param=RG...

Bad across the board...

The 160 Kbps is lowest sync speed possible, and at 45dB attenuation would expect a lot more, more in the 4 to 6 Mbps region as others have suggested.

If these connection speeds are when you are using the test socket (and at that time no other sockets in the home should have dial tone) then a respectable provider would recognise those stats as indicating a fault exists somewhere in the copper local loop and needs resolution.

NOTE: The 15dB downstream margin is this was reset, which can be done as part of a fault investigation, reset down to the standard 6dB your speeds would improve and maybe towards your usual 1 to 1.5 Mbps but even then it looks like there is an underlying fault.

Daft question....the telephone line does work?

Standard User shalebing
(newbie) Wed 06-Sep-17 13:45:42
Print Post

MHC - According to any broadband site I have tried, my postcode/landline number always comes up as a maximum of 2Mb for this area - postcode is EH55 8XE. To be honest, the way it is at the moment I'd be happy just to get my old 1Mb back!

Mr Saffron - yes the phone works fine with no noise or crackle.

Edited by shalebing (Wed 06-Sep-17 13:49:13)

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Sep-17 13:47:24
Print Post

Eeek,

A 45dB attenuation does indeed equate to 3.3km, or 2 miles. But it ought to get a sync speed closer to 6Mbps, and a throughput speed closer to 5Mbps.

Your actual sync speed is 160kbps, or 0.16Mbps.

There is no point running more speedtests - not until you get a higher sync speed. The higher sync speed is all you need to concentrate on for now.

So ... what to concentrate on? You'd have to say there was a line fault with this kind of speed, so the first steps are in checking your internal wiring, and the second steps will be on working to get an Openreach engineer to attend.

When it comes to the second step, the route will depend whether there are any obvious voice problems on the line (so you'd deal with BT), or if it is only a problem with broadband (in which case, deal with Fleur).

Step 1 ... the internal wiring.
The general recommendation is to try connecting the modem to the test socket inside the NTE, and make sure that all extensions have been disconnected from the line (so you can't get dial tone when plugging a phone into them).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Sep-17 13:52:15
Print Post

A few things

The exchange only offers ADSL, so I'd revise my estimate for that attenuation to 3 to 5 Mbps and attenuation matches the 3.5km from postcode to exchange, so looks good

Someone on a BT connection very near is getting 1.6 Mbps from speed tests, so a connection speed in the 2 Mbps region.

If you have not yet, then do a modem off, count to 10 and modem on and see if any of the figures in the stats have changed, namely the downstream connection speed (160 Kbps) and downstream noise margin 15dB.

Checking with the neighbours and getting them to run speed tests will help build a picture of what is really possible in the area.

Standard User shalebing
(newbie) Wed 06-Sep-17 13:56:05
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
Eeek,

A 45dB attenuation does indeed equate to 3.3km, or 2 miles. But it ought to get a sync speed closer to 6Mbps, and a throughput speed closer to 5Mbps.

Your actual sync speed is 160kbps, or 0.16Mbps.

There is no point running more speedtests - not until you get a higher sync speed. The higher sync speed is all you need to concentrate on for now.

So ... what to concentrate on? You'd have to say there was a line fault with this kind of speed, so the first steps are in checking your internal wiring, and the second steps will be on working to get an Openreach engineer to attend.

When it comes to the second step, the route will depend whether there are any obvious voice problems on the line (so you'd deal with BT), or if it is only a problem with broadband (in which case, deal with Fleur).

Step 1 ... the internal wiring.
The general recommendation is to try connecting the modem to the test socket inside the NTE, and make sure that all extensions have been disconnected from the line (so you can't get dial tone when plugging a phone into them).

Thanks WWWombat - now bear in mind I am not as technically gifted as you guys so I'm assuming the 'test socket' is the master socket? This was certainly my next step to try. Sorry, I have no idea what NTE is. smile

With regard to voice performance that is fine and when I spoke to the BT call centre yesterday he did a check on the line (allegedly) and found no problem.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Sep-17 13:56:39
Print Post

Future

As others said testing at the test socket is important now.

On future FTTC/VDSL2 looks like it may becoming to your cabinet 1 area by the end of December 2017 but don't hold your breath these things sometimes do change.

Standard User shalebing
(newbie) Wed 06-Sep-17 14:07:57
Print Post

A few things

The exchange only offers ADSL, so I'd revise my estimate for that attenuation to 3 to 5 Mbps and attenuation matches the 3.5km from postcode to exchange, so looks good

Someone on a BT connection very near is getting 1.6 Mbps from speed tests, so a connection speed in the 2 Mbps region.

If you have not yet, then do a modem off, count to 10 and modem on and see if any of the figures in the stats have changed, namely the downstream connection speed (160 Kbps) and downstream noise margin 15dB.

Checking with the neighbours and getting them to run speed tests will help build a picture of what is really possible in the area.

These are the stats after a modem off for 10 secs.

DSL Status

Downstream Rate: 160 Kbps
Downstream Margin: 15 db
Downstream Line Attenuation: 45
Upstream Line Attenuation: 57
Downstream Transmit Power: 12
Internet Connection

Internet IP Address: premoved]
Internet Gateway: [removed]

Edited by MrSaffron (Wed 06-Sep-17 14:13:22)

Standard User shalebing
(newbie) Wed 06-Sep-17 14:10:03
Print Post

Re: Future

As others said testing at the test socket is important now.

On future FTTC/VDSL2 looks like it may becoming to your cabinet 1 area by the end of December 2017 but don't hold your breath these things sometimes do change.

Yes, our local community council have been in discussions about upgraded broadband for the past couple of years and the goalposts seem to move every other month. Last we heard there was a possibility we might be among the 5% of the country that won't get fibre!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Sep-17 14:13:41
Print Post

Unfortunately no change

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Sep-17 14:16:40
Print Post

if you have a phone directory it has a page showing how to get to the test socket, it is part of the master socket

Picture of a modern master socket (Network Termination Equipment - NTE) with the lower part of the faceplate removed to show the test socket

A good provider will talk you through this step too.

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Sep-17 14:20:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by shalebing:
Thanks WWWombat - now bear in mind I am not as technically gifted as you guys so I'm assuming the 'test socket' is the master socket? This was certainly my next step to try. Sorry, I have no idea what NTE is. smile

The NTE is a fancy TLA (three letter abbreviation) for the master socket...

If you have a relatively modern NTE, then it incorporates both a master socket (at the front) and a test socket (hidden in the back), and comes with a faceplate that is split across the middle.

The wiring theory is that all the extensions are wired from the front faceplate, so removing that faceplate (to reveal the test socket) will also disconnect all the extensions in the home.

Running the modem from the test socket is thus BT's way of finding out whether you have a problem with the extension wiring in the home.

A Plusnet video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMP0BOwSHKI
Standard User shalebing
(newbie) Wed 06-Sep-17 15:25:34
Print Post

if you have a phone directory it has a page showing how to get to the test socket, it is part of the master socket

Picture of a modern master socket (Network Termination Equipment - NTE) with the lower part of the faceplate removed to show the test socket

A good provider will talk you through this step too.

OK - have tried using the test socket (I hope) and things are no better so presumably I need to get Fleur to escalate this with BT? I did not have a phone plugged in anywhere, just the router. I have included a link below to a new speed test from the test socket along with stats from the router. I've also included a link to a photo I took of what I reckon was the test socket - can you confirm if I have done this correctly please?

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15047055691...

DSL Status

Downstream Rate: 2688 Kbps
Downstream Margin: 14 db
Downstream Line Attenuation: 48
Upstream Line Attenuation: 56
Downstream Transmit Power: 18
Internet Connection

Internet IP Address: 92.26.111.242
Internet Gateway: 92.26.96.1

Photo of socket - https://c.gmx.co.uk/frank.love@gmx.co.uk/oS-T80K1QYG...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Sep-17 15:34:46
Print Post

THINGS ARE MASSIVELY BETTER

If you look at the connection speed you have a 2.7 Mbps connection speed, and as you are on ADSL Max if you left the modem in the test socket for the next 5 days the systems would learn and actually let you use that speed, i.e. speed tests in the 2 Mbps region (Its waiting for a setting called the IP profile to improve)

This improvement suggests you have telephone extensions and option is

1) Remove those so you only have one phone socket in home
OR
2) Fit a filtered faceplate e.g. http://amzn.to/2xP1nru which replaces the small front part and you wire the extensions to the filtered connections the tool to use is http://amzn.to/2w6VhAs (Krone Tool)
OR
3) Remove the ring wire from pin on the faceplate, this usually improves things but not as much as (1) or (2) some images of this at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/ordering-and-inst...

If your provider was to do a reset of the target noise margin, its possible that speeds of even higher than 2.7Mbps for the connection are possible, i.e. the 4 to 6 Mbps range

Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Sep-17 15:44:21
Print Post

With a downstream margin of 14dB there's scope for a few more meg of sync speed.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Sep-17 15:52:49
Print Post

Looks like the OP's downstream attenuation and upstream attenuation figures might be wrongly reported by the router: a 56dB downstream attenuation with a 15dB SNRM would perhaps give a sync speed in the region of ~2500Kbps?
Standard User shalebing
(newbie) Wed 06-Sep-17 15:55:33
Print Post

THINGS ARE MASSIVELY BETTER

If you look at the connection speed you have a 2.7 Mbps connection speed, and as you are on ADSL Max if you left the modem in the test socket for the next 5 days the systems would learn and actually let you use that speed, i.e. speed tests in the 2 Mbps region (Its waiting for a setting called the IP profile to improve)

This improvement suggests you have telephone extensions and option is

1) Remove those so you only have one phone socket in home
OR
2) Fit a filtered faceplate e.g. http://amzn.to/2xP1nru which replaces the small front part and you wire the extensions to the filtered connections the tool to use is http://amzn.to/2w6VhAs (Krone Tool)
OR
3) Remove the ring wire from pin on the faceplate, this usually improves things but not as much as (1) or (2) some images of this at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/ordering-and-inst...

If your provider was to do a reset of the target noise margin, its possible that speeds of even higher than 2.7Mbps for the connection are possible, i.e. the 4 to 6 Mbps range

Thanks Mr Saffron. Now I see good and not so good in your reply though - I have two sockets in living room (one being the master) and one in each of two bedrooms. One of the bedrooms is where my PC resides so I need that one certainly as I don't want the PC in the living room. I don't really fancy doing away with extension sockets or mucking around with rewiring faceplates but the option to leave the router plugged into the test socket for a few days sounds fine - does that really work? If I got anywhere near 2Mb I'd be really happy. Do I just leave the router plugged in on its own - i.e. not connected to PC?
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Sep-17 16:00:55
Print Post

Connect the PC wirelessly?

Or use powerlines/homeplugs.

Something in the internal wiring/setup is having a drastic impact on your connection.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Sep-17 16:03:25
Print Post

The third option i.e. remove the wire on pin 3 will usually help a lot and let you keep the PC in the other room.

Remember its just the modem you'd have to move even if going for 1 and 2 and on 2 you can install a dedicated data extension usually. So if you have modem by the master socket (best location too) you can run an Ethernet cable through to the other room.

Leaving router plugged into test socket will see the speed tests eventually improve and you can use the connection during that time, just the issue of getting Ethernet from router to the PC.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Sep-17 16:05:06
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

The home plug using the mains to get Ethernet between rooms is getting pretty cheap now http://amzn.to/2wG26N7 £24.99

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Sep-17 16:06:07
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

I see 45dB downstream attenuation, the upstream is looking odd as usually less than the downstream, but it may be old firmware that has reporting bugs.

The key is that the sync speed has gone up once internal wiring removed.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 06-Sep-17 16:18:22
Print Post

Following on from MrS's comments and suggestions, how easy would it be to run a new cable from where the master is, up to where your PC is located?

If it is a simple task, then you could look at an Ethernet cable between the two locations.

M H C

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Sep-17 16:27:04
Print Post

The key is that the sync speed has gone up once internal wiring removed.

Sure, the connection should now be stable and download throughput improved with a target downstream SNRM of 12dB or 15dB smile
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Sep-17 16:43:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:
Following on from MrS's comments and suggestions, how easy would it be to run a new cable from where the master is, up to where your PC is located?

If it is a simple task, then you could look at an Ethernet cable between the two locations.

Yes, I've even used very long ethernet patch cables between routers and computers and got well in excess of 800Mbps transfer speeds. Don't like homeplugs though!
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Sep-17 16:45:10
Print Post

And following on from that another question to the OP...

As there are a number of sockets is there anything plugged in to those sockets? Do all the sockets have filters on them? Is there a sky box connected to the phone line?

If anything is connected and not filtered then it will be causing issues. Sky boxes are notorious for causing problems and these days shouldn't need to be connected to the phone line at all.
Standard User shalebing
(newbie) Wed 06-Sep-17 18:59:40
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
And following on from that another question to the OP...

As there are a number of sockets is there anything plugged in to those sockets? Do all the sockets have filters on them? Is there a sky box connected to the phone line?

If anything is connected and not filtered then it will be causing issues. Sky boxes are notorious for causing problems and these days shouldn't need to be connected to the phone line at all.

Only sockets in use are the master one in living room where telephone plugged in and the one in spare bedroom which I used for the router. Both have filters fitted. I don't have a sky box.

Edited by shalebing (Wed 06-Sep-17 19:00:54)

Standard User shalebing
(newbie) Wed 06-Sep-17 19:06:07
Print Post

Many thanks for all the helpful advice and patience with a layman where broadband issues are concerned. My plan of attack is to have the router plugged into the master socket and connected to the PC using home plugs. The latter may not be everyone's ideal solution but for my situation it is preferable to trying to link a permanent ethernet cable between the two. If the plugs don't work then I shall have to have a re-think.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Sep-17 19:19:22
Print Post

Instead of messing about with wifi home plugs It might be cheaper and far more convenient to just install a half decent PCI wifi card in your desktop such as this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WN881ND-Wireless...

Or if you prefer a USB wifi adaptor for simplicity

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WN823N-Mbps-Wire...

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10 running Voxel

Edited by baby_frogmella (Wed 06-Sep-17 19:20:02)

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Sep-17 19:26:36
Print Post

I have two sockets in living room (one being the master) and one in each of two bedrooms. One of the bedrooms is where my PC resides so I need that one certainly as I don't want the PC in the living room. I don't really fancy doing away with extension sockets or mucking around with rewiring faceplates...

If you retain the 3 unfiltered extensions (possibly with the bell wires still connected?) you might be back to square one, regarding downstream sync speed, even with the use of homeplugs linking router to computer.
Standard User shalebing
(newbie) Wed 06-Sep-17 19:34:53
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 4M2:
I have two sockets in living room (one being the master) and one in each of two bedrooms. One of the bedrooms is where my PC resides so I need that one certainly as I don't want the PC in the living room. I don't really fancy doing away with extension sockets or mucking around with rewiring faceplates...

If you retain the 3 unfiltered extensions (possibly with the bell wires still connected?) you might be back to square one, regarding downstream sync speed, even with the use of homeplugs linking router to computer.

Damn - this is getting complicated! <lol>
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Sep-17 19:50:39
Print Post

If you go with homeplugs the short answer is: fit a filtered faceplate on the master (Mk3 faceplate if's a NTE5A master) and just connect your router's adsl lead to the faceplate's RJ45 socket. No need to touch the extension wiring connections on the outer plate, although personally I would also disconnect the bell wires from the extensions if they are not needed.

Edit: sorry forgot to look at your picture, it does look like a NTE5A master and perhaps rather close to a mains 13amp socket. The proximity of the mains 13 amp socket shouldn't be a potential problem if you get the voice extensions filtered.

Edited by 4M2 (Wed 06-Sep-17 20:03:32)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 07-Sep-17 08:11:37
Print Post

If the other extensions aren't in use then you could consider just disconnecting them at the master.
Standard User philippercival
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Sep-17 00:16:09
Print Post

Only sockets in use are the master one in living room where telephone plugged in and the one in spare bedroom which I used for the router. Both have filters fitted. I don't have a sky box.

Fax machine?
Burglar Alarm?
Any other medical Automated calling device.?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to