General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User TreeHugger
(regular) Sun 17-Sep-17 00:12:40
Print Post

Any recommendations for new hardware?

[link to this post]

I use BT business broadband and have a setup that was stable for quite some 10 years but now looks like it is about to fall apart since I'm now having problems that I can't solve the same way I've always solved them.

I have an old Netgear ADSL modem and a D-Link modem, which I swap around at times. I have a gateway server acting as a router and firewall.

I'd like to replace the gateway server with a router to simplify the setup. Probably separate wifi too.

I think it would be better to get a separate modem and router in case I decide to upgrade the broadband to fibre and need a different modem.

My main goals are robustness and ease of use. I currently have to administer the iptables firewall but I'd like to ditch that in favour of a subscription-based firewall that regularly updates its blacklist of bad sites - although only if I can get something that doesn't cost more than £100 a year.

Is there a good combination of router, modem, access points, built-in firewall? Or if not, separately?

thanks
Adam
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 17-Sep-17 07:51:42
Print Post

Re: Any recommendations for new hardware?

[re: TreeHugger] [link to this post]

BT business now supply a 'Smart Hub' but running their own firmware, they seem easy enough to use. Ring and ask if they'll supply one for you ?

Standard User ian007jen
(experienced) Sun 17-Sep-17 08:32:16
Print Post

Is there a good combination of router, modem, access points, built-in firewall? Or if not, separately?

I currently have to administer the iptables firewall

I think you are an advanced user....separate modem (using broadcom chip for monitoring)...ubnt wifi access points and a pfsense, untangle, smoothwall or even a ubnt firewall/UTM.

Ian

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TreeHugger
(regular) Sun 17-Sep-17 10:40:17
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

OK thanks, lots to look into there.

What broadcom chipset modem are you using, or would you rate?

Annoyingly, because my original intent was to reduce the time I have to spend as sysop, by googling pfsense and untangle, I somehow quickly got hooked by this guy's article:

https://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2016/04/how-to-mak...

Correct me if I'm wrong though, I should have less work to do if I get a super-router with pfsense on it, or even a ubnt router as you suggest (which one would you look at?)

re: BT business smart hub - although I almost definitely want a separate modem and router, I could go down this low cost route (just £8 for postage) but what sort of firewall options does it offer? I hurt my brain trying to negotiate the BT website.
Standard User ian007jen
(experienced) Sun 17-Sep-17 18:24:30
Print Post

What broadcom chipset modem are you using

I'm using a zyxel VMG8924-B10A in modem only mode, and, as QOS is important on my ADSL (6 Mbps down 0.4 Mbps up) connection, I use an Asus RT-N66U with TomatoUSB installed.

The last time I looked and tested pfsense QOS does not work very well on a slow (<2 Mbps) upload.

As for blacklists subscriptions, I have not looked into that at all but I am sure pfsense has many add-ons for URL filtering, as for Ubnt security gateways try downloading the manual.

BT business smart hub

May be okay as your modem if you do not require in-depth stats, but probably not powerful enough for URL filtering.
Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Sun 17-Sep-17 21:46:39
Print Post

Most good modern separate modems should run on ADSL now with the capability to handle infinity should you chose to upgrade.

Line One:- Zen Fibre 1 - DrayTek Vigor 2860ac
Line Two:- Andrews and Arnold - DrayTek Vigor 130 Modem
  Print Thread

Jump to