General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User arriva
(newbie) Mon 02-Oct-17 05:53:07
Print Post

adls to fibre

[link to this post]

I need a little bit of help.my internet is with sky I'm a ex be customer and it's on my name.the land line is with bt which is on my wife's name,sky are doing offers for members to upgrade to Max fibre for £30 a month.unfortunately I can't have that offer because the land line is not with them,I talked to someone on sky and she advised best thing to do is cancel the internet and then let the wife sign-on as a new customer with sky or any other isp.is this the best way to go about it.

Edited by arriva (Mon 02-Oct-17 11:13:36)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 02-Oct-17 09:50:00
Print Post

Re: adls to fibre

[re: arriva] [link to this post]

If Sky was to place an order for MPF LLU (so phone moved to them) and the GEA-FTTC provide then things would work I believe, the confusion is around how Sky handle this internally I suspect, making the you cancel ADSL2+ (and risk being without internet for a few weeks) and ordering under wifes name.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 02-Oct-17 10:53:50
Print Post

Agreed I am pretty sure Sky can just place the order, your wife will be notified sky are taking over and will be given 10 days to dispute this, then the order will progress (to my knowledge).

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 02-Oct-17 10:54:02)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User arriva
(newbie) Mon 02-Oct-17 16:57:12
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Thanks for the advice,I will also post this on sky forum see anyone from sky answers it.if my only option is to cancel it I want go to sky there new customer price is £43.99.also if I cancel it do they tell you when it will cease.for example let's say it ceases on the 29 of this month,can I put in a order 2 week's before that with a another isp to try to keep number of days to minimum without a internet,sorry this is my first time experience dealing with kind of thing.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 03-Oct-17 00:25:17
Print Post

If there is a cease order on a line then no other order can be placed until it has completed. It is also highly probable the number will then be lost.

What happens if there is an outstanding order on a line and someone tries to place a cease order I don't know, but my logic says the cease order should override it. But that's a guess/opinion from me.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 72313/12530Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 03-Oct-17 00:25:59)

Standard User arriva
(newbie) Tue 03-Oct-17 04:59:23
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Roberto why would I lose the number,I'm cancelling the internet which is with sky.the phone is with bt.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Oct-17 08:47:22
Print Post

If just cancelling the broadband part then that is fine and you would keep the number (at least until any migration of phone happens when it should be kept but occasionally can go wrong) - but Sky advising that method seems really odd as they are essentially telling you to cancel the part where you are their customer so that you can sign up as their customer. If you do go down this route then check for cease fees as most ISPs will charge for ceasing broadband.

If you want both phone and broadband with Sky then Sky should be able to do that. They should be able to migrate you on to their own packages (they can certainly do it when people have split products with other companies - ie phone with BT and broadband with someone else).

It is also likely that any other ISP could provide you both phone and broadband without you having to cancel. It sounds like Sky have got their systems in a muddle because what you are trying to do isn't a "normal" migration due to them having you on a legacy product that they no longer provide.

As an alternative have you considered signing up for broadband with BT? In many ways this is the simpler route and with cashback they can have some pretty good deals. At the end of the minimum period you could then move to another ISP.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 03-Oct-17 09:24:09
Print Post

Sorry, I got a bit mixed up with what was possibly being ceased. The rest, that no new broadband order can be placed until the cease has been completed is correct. (It can be a couple of days after the actual cease, while the various databases get updated).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 72313/12530Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User arriva
(newbie) Tue 03-Oct-17 11:23:19
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

That's another option just migrate to another isp.on Monday I was looking at what isp I could get at my exchange can get all the big and small isp,out of the lot ee calls me I know they shouldn't asking me that I was looking at their packages anyway I explain the situation that my broadband is with sky on my name and the phone line is with bt on the wife's name,she say they can migrate both no problem all they need is the wife's consent or permission something like that.so it can be done,now if take the migration route who should apply for the new isp me or the wife.the reason why I was thinking going down the cancellation route is it would make it easier just cancel the internet then let the wife sign-on to another isp.that's another problem who to go with.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 03-Oct-17 12:32:07
Print Post

Just a minor point, though I hope you have already checked it, have you got FTTC speed estimates for the line?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to