General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Nitro93
(newbie) Tue 03-Oct-17 11:52:30
Print Post

Three phone lines going into my house?

[link to this post]

Hello!

New here so apologies if this is the wrong section. I'm due to move to my new house in a few months, it's rural but by the DSL checker it still pulls about 50mbps maximum which is fine given its location. However when viewing I noticed that there was what looked like three phone lines going into the house compared to the neighbours single one?

Is this even possible? I've attached some screenshots (apologies for the quality, straight outta street view!) to show what I mean of the corner of the house and telegraph pole it's linked to, also - does my line look bridge tapped or am I just being stupid?

Screenshots here:
Telegraph pole: https://ibb.co/b7pFvb
Corner of house: https://ibb.co/drOsab

Any help would be very much appreciated, slightly confused!

Cheers
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Oct-17 12:11:21
Print Post

Re: Three phone lines going into my house?

[re: Nitro93] [link to this post]

Yes, it is possible. They may well have been running a business from the property. However, you can just order one service and they will use one of the lines to deliver. I don't think from the photos it would be possible to make any comment about bridge taps.
Standard User Nitro93
(newbie) Tue 03-Oct-17 12:16:00
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

What kind of effect would three lines have on the broadband speed of one line out of curiosity? Obviously its hard to say but would it render it potentially VDSL Range B (Impacted) as per the DSL checker or could it still have a clean line regardless?

Apologies for the newbie questions!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ixel
(member) Tue 03-Oct-17 12:25:33
Print Post

While I've had no experience in running multiple lines, at least not until the 13th when A&A will be installing my second line (first is currently with Zen which I will most likely cancel at the end of the contract term next year and perhaps move that to A&A and bond it), I've read that having two lines won't quite give double the speed. It's also possible for one line to perform differently to the other too, apparently. So, I imagine what might happen if I'm lucky is that as my first line syncs (uncapped) at 56/13 I might see both lines syncing around 45-50/9-12 perhaps (due to added crosstalk). From that I'd like to hope I could at least get 90Mbps downstream and 20Mbps upstream by bonding both lines. I've also read that having more than two lines will offer less and less of an effective speed boost, plus if you're bonding FTTC connections then there's also a limit on maximum throughput due to current hardware capability.
Standard User Nitro93
(newbie) Tue 03-Oct-17 12:32:42
Print Post

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ixel:
While I've had no experience in running multiple lines, at least not until the 13th when A&A will be installing my second line (first is currently with Zen which I will most likely cancel at the end of the contract term next year and perhaps move that to A&A and bond it), I've read that having two lines won't quite give double the speed. It's also possible for one line to perform differently to the other too, apparently. So, I imagine what might happen if I'm lucky is that as my first line syncs (uncapped) at 56/13 I might see both lines syncing around 45-50/9-12 perhaps (due to added crosstalk). From that I'd like to hope I could at least get 90Mbps downstream and 20Mbps upstream by bonding both lines. I've also read that having more than two lines will offer less and less of an effective speed boost, plus if you're bonding FTTC connections then there's also a limit on maximum throughput due to current hardware capability.

I was actually considering this if the additional two lines were active, perhaps this is what's happened here in the past with the current owners? I was more wondering however whether because there's three lines connected to the property whether or not it would impact the speeds of just using one line, would the other two lines cause any interference etc with the one service or could I expect this to run at the VDSL Range A (Clean) category?

Cheers for the responses so far!
Standard User Ixel
(member) Tue 03-Oct-17 12:35:54
Print Post

If those additional lines were ceased then I don't imagine interference. Additionally if for some reason they still had an FTTC signal (doubtful) they would still need a modem connected in order to cause more crosstalk. Basically I don't feel they should cause problems.

It's possible the previous owner may have had multiple DSL connections, but can't be sure.

Edited by Ixel (Tue 03-Oct-17 12:37:03)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 03-Oct-17 15:34:13
Print Post

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

If you order service over one line then the presence of the others is immaterial

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Oct-17 16:04:40
Print Post

Very possible. I have 8 lines (four cables). When I ordered Home Highway the engineer got a shock when he went to move my master socket. He unwired the original socket then went outside and undid the cover - and a load of cables sprang out. He then spent ten minutes trying to work out which ones were live followed by five minutes trying to stuff them all back in the duct again smile

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 03-Oct-17 16:44:25
Print Post

I would find out the phone number of each line and then put the number into the BT line checker to see what the estinated speed and cabinet details are.

Michael Chare
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 03-Oct-17 18:12:29
Print Post

The heavier lines at the top of the pole appear to be "3 Phase + Neutral" Mains electricity supply.

And two of the connecting lines are parallel, as one would expect for a Single Phase and Neutral to a house.

In the second photo, there are two lines, similarly parallel, terminating in a typical Mains Electricity mode.

The Insulators do not look like any that I have seen on phone lines.

So I suspect there is some confusion here.

The lines from lower down the pole appear to be the phone lines.

Is this a case of Pole Sharing from an earlier era?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to