General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User _cookie_
(newbie) Tue 03-Oct-17 14:20:05
Print Post

Broadband for BT customers only

[link to this post]

Hi,

Hope this question makes sense - I'm not very up on how some of this stuff works, or the terminology for it.

So we moved house recently, and our broadband speed (we're with EE) is very slow - about 5mbps, I think.

We had an electrician round for some wiring work, and he told us that there are two broadband wires running into our house: an old one, which is what we're plugged into, and a new one ('a twisty one' he called it) that goes into the loft, and then stops there. However, he tried to connect us to the new wire and found it didn't work. He called BT, who told him this line was for BT broadband customers only. (The wire I think comes from the green phone exchange box thing on the corner of the street.)

Have BT got this right? Can a wire be reserved for use only by customers of a particular broadband provider? It doesn't seem likely to me that everyone on the street is on BT. If we did move to BT to take advantage of the fast wire, would we have to stay with them or could we then move to a different provider again? If we went straight from EE to a non-BT provider, would that provider have to run yet another wire into the house?

I hope this makes some sort of sense. Thank you in advance for any help!
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Oct-17 14:26:29
Print Post

Re: Broadband for BT customers only

[re: _cookie_] [link to this post]

No. It sounds like a second line that isn't connected to anything at the other end. However, it is for "BT Openreach" customers only which would cover all of the ISPs that resell the BT Openreach product.
Standard User _cookie_
(newbie) Tue 03-Oct-17 15:55:48
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Excellent, thank you!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User robertcrowther
(member) Tue 03-Oct-17 17:21:05
Print Post

I think in this case the electrician has got his wires crossed in a big way. It's more likely when he phoned BT they told him that the number he called was for BT broadband customers only.

As he was just an electrician he would not have the authority to contact BT on the householders behalf as it's against the data protection act.
Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Tue 03-Oct-17 17:26:04
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Or just “Openreach”, as it is and has always been called.

Icaras
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 03-Oct-17 17:32:33
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Icaras:
Funny, that to order broadband from most ISPs, including a couple owned by BT, one needs to have or purchase a "BT line". tongue wink

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 72313/12530Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Wed 04-Oct-17 16:17:23
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In reply to a post by Icaras:
Funny, that to order broadband from most ISPs, including a couple owned by BT, one needs to have or purchase a "BT line". tongue wink

Says who though? Openreach wouldn’t use that terminology. CPs need to stop calling it BT or BT Openreach. They’re doing marketing for BT Group!

Icaras
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 04-Oct-17 19:08:57
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

It was a "BT Line" before Openreach was formed. Some people, even occasional newbies to these forums still refer to having GPO lines.

Things don't change that easily, particularly in the case of Openreach which still belongs hook, line and sinker to BT.

In any case, prior to Openreach existing, what "BT Line" meant was a BT Wholesale line. However, nobody but pedants like me ever referred to it like that. Most of the time, that is still the appropriate description when explaining the foibles of broadband ordering from different retailers.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 72313/12530Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Gadget
(committed) Mon 16-Oct-17 23:44:41
Print Post

Just thinking, doesn't the dropwire have two pair in it as a matter of course?

Also the position in the loft can sometimes be the location of a monitored alarm system, which might have used a second line for it own use
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 17-Oct-17 06:10:18
Print Post

[re: Gadget] [link to this post]

Just thinking, doesn't the dropwire have two pair in it as a matter of course?

Not any more, the ‘standard’ dropwire, DW11 in use is single pair, and has been for a few years now.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to