General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Tylexon
(newbie) Thu 05-Oct-17 21:59:29
Print Post

Moving need to get out of contract.

[link to this post]

I have a plus net contract which I have been happy with, but problem is I'm moving house (forced to, no option) and at the new property the landlord won't let me install it, even though I am willing to pay for it!
Plus net won't let me just continue paying for it monthly which I'm more than happy to do so, they claim it's because they would not be giving me service.

The other problem is it's over 300pound to cancel it... (moving house is expensive)

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this, the only way I was thinking of doing it was to get them to agree to a house change and cancel the new contract within the 14day cooling off period. But I don't know if that would just revert me back to the old contract and address.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 05-Oct-17 22:13:20
Print Post

Re: Moving need to get out of contract.

[re: Tylexon] [link to this post]

House change I don't think would come with a new cooling off period.

How many months do you have left on your contract and what is usual monthly cost?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Tylexon
(newbie) Thu 05-Oct-17 23:13:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I believe it's 18 months left on a 24 month contract.

Monthly it is £30.99 which I would be fine loosing each month for no service... but they just don't want to know. and that's phone and internet combined, but i never use it for calls as i get free calls on my mobile.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 06-Oct-17 02:20:48
Print Post

Have you caculated the buy-out from their early termination prices for your products, or just assumed it would be full price?

I can't easily check the prices at the moment, and they have been ramping up early termination charges recently, but they used to be much lower than the ongoing monthly cost.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 72313/12530Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Tylexon
(newbie) Fri 06-Oct-17 05:46:47
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It's what they told me when I rung them and explained the situation.

So I can only assume that the figure they gave was how much I would have to pay for to leave them. I have no problem with the amount of money that they want but I have no chance of being able to pay that in one go and they don't allow me to pay that in a monthly plan.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 06-Oct-17 08:03:34
Print Post

I think you need to get past first line support. If they are any good as a company then they should take your circumstances into account and agree a payment plan with you. If you still don't get anywhere then try talking to your CAB and see if they can help advise on approach. What you need to do is get them to stop treating it as paying a service your not getting to being a payment plan for a debt that you can't pay all in one go.
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 06-Oct-17 09:06:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by Tylexon:
I believe it's 18 months left on a 24 month contract.

Monthly it is £30.99 which I would be fine loosing each month for no service... but they just don't want to know. and that's phone and internet combined, but i never use it for calls as i get free calls on my mobile.
In your first post you say 'over 300 pound' to cancel. If you have 18 months left at £31 a month that would be over £500 so cancelling is saving you money.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 06-Oct-17 09:14:05
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

so cancelling is saving you money.

Which is great if the OP has £300 to be able to spend. Unfortunately it sounds like they don't and so paying a larger amount over a longer period may be the only option - and is potentially cheaper than credit cards (if they have access to one) or pay day loans. Many people aren't in a position to pay these sorts of amounts out.
Standard User Tylexon
(newbie) Fri 06-Oct-17 09:27:42
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Yes it seems I have not taken into account the phone line, the broadband is 19.99 which is where they get the 300 from, so yes it is more than I expected then.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 06-Oct-17 09:36:28
Print Post

PlusNet list their early termination charges on their website. See the last section on that page. That should allow you to work out exactly what the charges would be to confirm whatever PlusNet have told you. It is cheaper to pay cancellation than to continue paying the contract but that doesn't necessarily help you if you don't have the money up front to cover it.

As I said earlier try and agree a repayment plan with PlusNet and if necessary talk to CAB for advice. Essentially you are looking to pay a debt rather than pay for service.
  Print Thread

Jump to