General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 07-Oct-17 10:39:19
Print Post

Re: Business Grant to get connected to faster broadband - ad

[re: Lordo] [link to this post]

What does this checker show for your VDSL Downstream Handback Threshold?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 72313/12530Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 07-Oct-17 10:39:53)

Standard User bsdnazz
(learned) Sat 07-Oct-17 10:48:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by Lordo:
Re: FTTP - it is described as "dedicated fibre to the premises line" - But I do not know any more than that at this stage. Some of the funding is being used to reduce the monthly costs.

This does sound like a standard fibre based leased line rather than FTTP Broadband. We have a couple of fibre leased lines at work each giving us 100/100Mb costing closed to £10,000 each year.

Three years grant scheme could well bring down the costs for a while but as you say the price then goes right up. Do you know what the price after 3 years is?
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 07-Oct-17 10:56:39
Print Post

If you want to do it right, get a leased line. Very expensive though. £80 seems crazy low

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Lordo
(newbie) Sat 07-Oct-17 12:22:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:

It shows this
Speeds

BT "Faster Broadband" - 7MB down - 0.4MB up (exhange enabled for fibre, but too far away for Infinity)
Standard User Lordo
(newbie) Sat 07-Oct-17 12:35:13
Print Post

Does anyone happen to have any historical information on leased line prices - eg - how they have fallen over the past 5 or 10 years?

BT "Faster Broadband" - 7MB down - 0.4MB up (exhange enabled for fibre, but too far away for Infinity)
Standard User Lordo
(newbie) Sat 07-Oct-17 12:43:08
Print Post

[re: bsdnazz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bsdnazz:
Re: FTTP - it is described as "dedicated fibre to the premises line" - But I do not know any more than that at this stage. Some of the funding is being used to reduce the monthly costs.

This does sound like a standard fibre based leased line rather than FTTP Broadband. We have a couple of fibre leased lines at work each giving us 100/100Mb costing closed to £10,000 each year.

Three years grant scheme could well bring down the costs for a while but as you say the price then goes right up. Do you know what the price after 3 years is?

On the preview quote, it said it would increase in price to just under £700pm for 30mb connection - but three years at £80 would be ok if I was to gamble on A - prices for leased lines coming down., or B - Openreach/BT getting round to upgrading our network to be able to receive fast fibre broadband..,. I could always look at other solutions after 3 years too -

Also, would this leased line be the same type of leased line that BT offer (BTnet Express @ £225pm)>?

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 07-Oct-17 12:56:22
Print Post

Yes they have how much varies from area to area

But £80 per month sounds amazingly cheap, unless you happen to be in a city with a metro fibre network from CityFibre

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 07-Oct-17 13:00:15
Print Post

It shows this
Speeds

Looking at long term costs, it might be cheaper to order the 'FTTP On Demand' product which would give you at least 330/30 Mbps. Of course it won't have the same SLA and speed guarantees as a leased line service but after 3 years, the costs of FTTPoD fall to 'native' FTTP levels. I believe Ceberus are selling FTTPoD for £165 pm (3 year min term) & of course installation costs which vary from £2k to £10k+ based on how far you are from the nearest agg node. Not sure if you will get a grant towards FTTPoD costs though.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10 running Voxel

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sat 07-Oct-17 13:02:25)

Standard User Lordo
(newbie) Sat 07-Oct-17 13:21:33
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Yes they have how much varies from area to area

But £80 per month sounds amazingly cheap, unless you happen to be in a city with a metro fibre network from CityFibre

The £80pm is being quoted as some of the grant money is going towards reducing the monthly cost as well as the installation - The grant is quite substantial.

Standard User Lordo
(newbie) Sat 07-Oct-17 13:25:55
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:

It shows this
Speeds

Looking at long term costs, it might be cheaper to order the 'FTTP On Demand' product which would give you at least 330/30 Mbps. Of course it won't have the same SLA and speed guarantees as a leased line service but after 3 years, the costs of FTTPoD fall to 'native' FTTP levels. I believe Ceberus are selling FTTPoD for £165 pm (3 year min term) & of course installation costs which vary from £2k to £10k+ based on how far you are from the nearest agg node. Not sure if you will get a grant towards FTTPoD costs though.

Installation costs are not so much of a concern as the grant is quite generous - but the only products I will be able to choose from will be those which are quoted for by companies registered with the scheme who quote through the grant portal - So it is FTTP on Demand which I should be asking these people to quote on right? - When you say after 3 years, the costs fall to native FTTP levels, what would "native" costs be in the region of? - This sounds like the best option if I can get someone to quote on it.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to