General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mr_mojo
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Oct-17 22:21:42
Print Post

Chromecast & BT Home Hub 5

[link to this post]

I have hyperoptic but the router is really bad (2.4GHz only). I have a Home Hub 5 which I've used before and works great as a 802.11AC AP.

For some weird reason though, as soon as I stream from the chromecast to my TV via the HomeHub5 (Chromecast is on the hyperoptic router) the wifi drops after about 1-2 mins (as in totally drops, loses authentication).

Any ideas about this? The HH5 is rock solid apart from that. It's only when I use it to stream media from my laptop to chromecast that it breaks. Really frustrating as 802.11n 2.4GHz WiFi is not fast enough to stream 1080p without a lot of buffering in high motion scenes.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Oct-17 08:57:13
Print Post

Re: Chromecast & BT Home Hub 5

[re: mr_mojo] [link to this post]

Try splitting the 2.4 and 5ghz ranges into separate ssids. That has been known to help with some issues.
ISP Representative Hyperoptic_CS
(isp) Tue 10-Oct-17 15:22:40
Print Post

Sorry to hear that. We're grateful for your feedback. Please give our tech support team a call since they'll be able to troubleshoot and help you with this. They're available 24/7 on 0333 332 1111 and keen to assist you.

Customer Support
www.hyperoptic.com

Prefer to talk to the team? Call Customer Support on 0333 332 1111 or by email to support@hyperoptic.com
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 11-Oct-17 10:10:14
Print Post

Agree with Ian, splitting the bands does help, I had to do it on a few BT home hubs other routers.
I had to do it on a a BT home hub for someone as their Iphone and Wi-fi calling would not work.

5Ghz is not all it is cracked up to be to be honest, i do not understand how 2.4ghz is not fast enough, until recently I only had 2,4Ghz and I was streaming Netflix anf Now Tv with no problems.

I wish we could get hyperoptic or at least Virgin, could get rid of BT hybrid system.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 10 pro, reluctantly, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
  Print Thread

Jump to