General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 11-Oct-17 18:58:59
Print Post

Re: Sync & Throughput

[re: Tertius] [link to this post]

That would suggest that your distance estimate of 1500m is conservative

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Tertius
(newbie) Thu 12-Oct-17 09:00:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

A fair point. However, it's not my estimate, it came from the Openreach engineer's data.
Standard User Tertius
(newbie) Tue 14-Nov-17 08:05:30
Print Post

To close this thread:
TalkTalk wouldn’t offer me a FTTC service, so I went with Plusnet.
The new service was connected yesterday and is giving over 5mbs up, and about 1Mbps down. Not brilliant, but as expected, and double the ADSL speed.
For simplicity I am currently connected via the Plusnet router, but will re-instate my Draytek modem and Apple router later today.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 16-Nov-17 09:36:59
Print Post

Have you got those speeds the right way round?

What are they like with the Draytek? Possibly lower.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 73724/12601Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 16-Nov-17 09:39:07)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 16-Nov-17 10:12:23
Print Post

Having taken a line through a similar process - 9km from exchange and round 3km from cabinet to move from around 1Mbps to near 3Mbps on FTTC, I have seen how critical everything inside the house can be.

Get the modem or hub as close as possible to the master socket with a very short lead. If your router cannot go close by run a single Ethernet connection. If you can, just have a single phone connected, or if possible move to DECT with the base a little way away. Keep other electrical and electronic equipment such as TVs, fridges, &c away from the modem. And don't drape Christmas lights along the front of your house

By doing this, and locating the modem under a bed - we managed to squeeze another 200-300 kbps from the connection.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Tertius
(newbie) Fri 17-Nov-17 04:37:23
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Oops, yes I did put the numbers the wrong way round. 5 down, 1 up. Still with the Plusnet router at the moment due to work commitments. The download is gradually drifting up to nearer 6Mbps. Might let it settle for a week or so before changing back to my old modem/router set up.
As part of the recent troubleshooting on my previous ADSL connection I ensured that everything my side of the master socket is immaculate, including a brand new master socket.
I remain frustrated at being a broadband poor relation, but to be fair to TalkTalk, Openreach, and now Plusnet, 2.5Mbs ADSL and 6Mbps FTTC is technically quite good given my distance from the exchange and the cabinet.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to