General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Tertius
(newbie) Wed 11-Oct-17 10:55:07
Print Post

Sync & Throughput

[link to this post]

My ADSL line gradually slowed down to less than 1Mbps. Following an escalation of the complaint from TalkTalk to Openreach, the engineer found no faults as such, but was able to change my line over to a better cable at one of the cabinets (there is a sub cabinet between me and the main cabinet).
As a result of his work, the sync speed at the modem (Draytek Vigor 130) is now over 3Mbps. However, all the speeds tests I perform show 2.4Mbps after the router (Apple airport).
2.4 is as good as Iíve ever achieved on the line. Nevertheless, is the drop of 0.6 from sync to throughput a usual figure?. I am using a brand new 0.5m cat6 cable from the modem to the router, and a brand new 1m cat6 cable from the router to my Mac. The tests were also identical with older and longer Cat5 cables, and are also similar over WiFi.
I intend to try a move to FTTC, but am keen to optimise the ADSL as Iím 1500m from the cabinet, so VDSL may be no better.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 11-Oct-17 11:27:12
Print Post

Re: Sync & Throughput

[re: Tertius] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Tertius:
I intend to try a move to FTTC, but am keen to optimise the ADSL as Iím 1500m from the cabinet, so VDSL may be no better.
What does http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.addres... estimate for your address?
Standard User Toonshorty
(member) Wed 11-Oct-17 11:35:49
Print Post

Depending on the quality of the copper, you may get a respectable VDSL connection at 1500m.

Before we got moved onto an infill cabinet, we were around 1.5-1.6km from the cabinet and originally synced at 18/4. Crosstalk reduced this over time and it eventually settled at around 13/1.5, but even that is a big improvement over 2Mbps on ADSL.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 11-Oct-17 11:41:21
Print Post

On ADSL generally allow a 10% overhead between sync speed and throughput as measured by tests/downloads etc

So the drop to 3 Mbps to 2.4 Mbps is not bad.

If the 1500m is an accurate distance then based on what others are getting a lot of the time would expect VDSL2 to exceed your ADSL performance. The results from the checkers are a good indicator normally.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Tertius
(newbie) Wed 11-Oct-17 14:20:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the input. It'll take another week or so to complete the complaint process with TalkTalk before moving on to fibre.
Until then I'll live with the ADSL, although the drop is over 20% rather than 10%.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 11-Oct-17 14:40:06
Print Post

Don't forget the loss quoted is for wired connection to your router. A wireless connection is almost always considerably lower still, as the connection speed between the device and router fluctuates quite considerably even when neither is moving.

It is also amazing the difference between those wireless speeds that results from a move of a couple of centimetres, or a rotation to alter the antennae direction.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 72313/12530Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Tertius
(newbie) Wed 11-Oct-17 15:39:16
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Again, thanks for the input. The speeds quoted are for a wired connection from modem to router to the computer, with a 20% loss.
Standard User Tertius
(newbie) Wed 11-Oct-17 15:59:59
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

To answer BatBoyís question, the DSL checker gives:
High Low High Low
VDSL Range A (Clean) 5.4 3
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 5.4 2.2
Until a couple of weeks ago it quoted a max of over 8. No idea why itís gone down.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 11-Oct-17 16:06:04
Print Post

Until a couple of weeks ago it quoted a max of over 8. No idea why itís gone down.
Perhaps you were moved to a longer line:
was able to change my line over to a better cable at one of the cabinets (there is a sub cabinet between me and the main cabinet).
Standard User Tertius
(newbie) Wed 11-Oct-17 16:41:21
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

That wonít be it. When the fibre estimate went down from max 8 to max 5 my ADSL had already been at 0.7 for quite a while. The line change and ADSL improvement has had no subsequent effect on the published fibre estimates.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 11-Oct-17 18:58:59
Print Post

That would suggest that your distance estimate of 1500m is conservative

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Tertius
(newbie) Thu 12-Oct-17 09:00:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

A fair point. However, it's not my estimate, it came from the Openreach engineer's data.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to