General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Be3G
(newbie) Fri 13-Oct-17 19:19:31
Print Post

Slightly slow ADSL2+ speeds – possible PSTN issue?

[link to this post]

Hi all,

First-time poster here although hello to any long-time Plusnet customers who might remember me from their forums.

I left Plusnet last year when moving home, and am now with Andrews & Arnold. When doing up this new place before moving in, a modern phone line and NTE5 had to be installed for us because all the house had was an old GPO junction box – the new line was wired in to that for us by the Openreach guy.

The thing is though, the line's never performed quite as well as I was expecting. I'm on cabinet 1 and only half a mile from the exchange by road (shorter as the crow flies) so was expecting 20+ Mb/s sync speeds. Instead however my line gets between 16–18, with throughput lower than that obviously. Occasionally the ADSL drops too, perhaps for a few minutes, perhaps for an hour, which isn't ideal. Annoyingly my modem is showing 0dB for both up and down attenuation, but it is kind enough to tell me that my down SNR is 3dB whilst I'm currently connected at 18Mb/s, so I'm guessing when I get 16Mb/s the SNR has been upped to 6dB. It also reports 58 UAS errors in six minutes' connection time.

If I do a quiet line test with a cordless phone (via the base station directly plugged in to the test socket), I hear occasional quiet bursts of rustling static over the general hum of the handset, and I'm fairly sure these aren't cordless interference because if I pull the line out of the socket the rustling seems to disappear. If I then test with an old corded phone I hear music!!

Last time my line dropped for a significant period of time I reported it to A&A as a PSTN fault; an Openreach engineer came round but couldn't find anything wrong (though acknowledged the existence of music through the corded phone) so nothing changed. A&A's suggestion was that it was the corded phone picking up interference somehow, but otherwise they've been relatively unhelpful, not really advising whether they think there is a problem that needs further investigation or not.

So I put my quandary to you, the esteemed TBB community: in your opinion is there something iffy going on with my line, and if so how might I further test/prove it?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 13-Oct-17 20:15:37
Print Post

Re: Slightly slow ADSL2+ speeds – possible PSTN issue?

[re: Be3G] [link to this post]

Need a modem that is known to report line stats correctly for a start.

If the phone is a corded and un powered one, then unplug and turn off all the ADSL kit and connect phone to master socket, is the line quiet, if not e.g. the music present then report as a voice fault to who you pay voice line rental, as a second step also remove the lower part of the faceplate and test at the test socket.

Borrowing another corded phone that is known good will help too.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Be3G
(newbie) Sat 14-Oct-17 11:18:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply.

As mentioned above I've already done the testing through the test socket etc., and indeed reported it to A&A as a PSTN fault as I have my phone line through them too.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone else with a corded phone. I could buy a cheap one I guess, but I'm still not sure it'd help much: if I can't hear music then that probably suggests I don't have a PSTN fault, but if I do hear music it still doesn't prove the existence of a fault because presumably A&A could just say that new phone is picking up intereference too.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 14-Oct-17 11:32:26
Print Post

Two different phones picking up noise that is audible music would be so rare that it points more towards an issue with the phone line/wiring rather than the actual handset.

http://www.argos.co.uk/search/corded-phone/ start at £5.49 and while not stellar you don't need anything fancy to indicate the noise is not the phone hardware itself

I'd also suggest if you can hear the music enough to try and match it to a radio station playing same thing at the same time.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 14-Oct-17 12:46:49
Print Post

I wonder if the OP’s line has a reasonable length of aerial cable on its route from exchange to property ?

I have known this scenario pick up radio transmission, maybe also with a minor earth contact in the mix too.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 14-Oct-17 13:03:53
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Possible

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 15-Oct-17 02:26:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by Be3G:
Thanks for your reply.

As mentioned above I've already done the testing through the test socket etc., and indeed reported it to A&A as a PSTN fault as I have my phone line through them too.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone else with a corded phone. I could buy a cheap one I guess, but I'm still not sure it'd help much: if I can't hear music then that probably suggests I don't have a PSTN fault, but if I do hear music it still doesn't prove the existence of a fault because presumably A&A could just say that new phone is picking up intereference too.
But AA don't provide a phone service, so their support and the Openreach engineer may be confused. Looking for what they may be calling a phone fault when there can't be.

Yes it's the Public Service Telephone Network, but no telephone service. PSTN may be the acronym in parts of the world for Public Service Telecommunications Network, but I don't think it is here.

As for hearing music when the broadband equipment is disconnected at your end, very odd indeed. Almost as though it is parked on a "dummy" service to keep it alive when the broadband is not. That could explain the engineer finding no technical fault.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 72313/12530Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 15-Oct-17 02:29:48
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I didn't see your post before writing mine Zarjaz. That could explain the music, but shouldn't a fault have been detected?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 72313/12530Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 15-Oct-17 09:50:07
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

They don't provide a voice as a in make phone calls, but a bare bones WLR is still available.

Standard User Be3G
(newbie) Sun 15-Oct-17 14:28:44
Print Post

Yes, for the avoidance of any doubt that is what I have, albeit with an added incoming calls facility that A&A were offering as a free but optional extra when I signed up with them.

RobertoS, if you're interested: http://aa.net.uk/broadband-phoneline.html

I went with this specifically because of the ease of getting faults fixed when both ADSL and PSTN are via the same supplier. (Well, that and their much lower-than-average monthly charge for a phone line compared with the inflated costs most others charge.)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to