General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 23-Oct-17 23:01:22
Print Post

Re: Slightly slow ADSL2+ speeds – possible PSTN issue?

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
A colleague removed the active components from an RF3 connected wires to crimp on to then encased it all in a blob of Dexbond ..... these he called ‘REIN-drops’ too convenient a name to pass up I suspect. If having no joy in gaining access to a property thought to be the source he could put them across the pair on an OH DP or at the 66, or in the UG radial ..... it helped.

Don't put them on over heads though ... they might fall on your head!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Be3G
(newbie) Mon 23-Oct-17 23:06:46
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I'm about 3km from the transmitter, so not right on top of it though not a huge distance either. The fact that my line seems to be picking up a fair bit of interference from other radio stations too means I'd be keen to have it looked at, though I take your point that there may not actually be much that can be done to improve it. frown
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 24-Oct-17 08:34:14
Print Post

[re: Be3G] [link to this post]

I am probably over 30km away from the closest main MW transmitters - I have dips in my bits/tone graph that coincide with frequencies used for transmissions - 909kHz which takes out 6 tones, 972kHz (about 8 km away) taking out 5 tones, 1089, 1152, 1215, 1413, ... and more, all causing a loss of 10 bits/tone over 2, 3 or 4 tones and in all cases degraded tones on either side.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Tue 24-Oct-17 08:56:00
Print Post

Well I am by no means claiming to be ‘high up’ but yes, there has been RFI filters built into SSFP’s since the mk3 version.

For me though, I’d still rather see it fitted where the line enters the property, seemed to reduce the errors more that way.

A colleague removed the active components from an RF3 connected wires to crimp on to then encased it all in a blob of Dexbond ..... these he called ‘REIN-drops’ too convenient a name to pass up I suspect. If having no joy in gaining access to a property thought to be the source he could put them across the pair on an OH DP or at the 66, or in the UG radial ..... it helped.

Yes, more flexibility. Like you say they often were fitted where the cable enters the house. In the Hall maybe, whereas the NTE5 could be somewhere else. I like your coleague’s idea and have contemplated similar!

Icaras
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Tue 24-Oct-17 23:43:00
Print Post

Are you saying that one method of transmission from source property to victim property is that the interference is induced onto the source's phone line, and then onward onto the victim's phone line?

And that an RF3 on the source's line helped improve the victim's line?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 25-Oct-17 06:02:01
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Yes, especially useful when the commonest cause was faulty equipment which was connected to the line in the ‘source property’ thus giving it a readymade aerial to transmit RFI.

Standard User Be3G
(newbie) Fri 27-Oct-17 13:55:43
Print Post

Right!

I typed up a long e-mail to Andrews & Arnold yesterday detailing my concerns/findings, and they've replied this morning to say that some tests they've carried out indicate I have an unbalanced cable, and they reckon this means there's a corroded join somewhere. As such it's being raised as a PSTN fault rather than ADSL, with a resolution date of Tuesday.

So… good news, I think. The one thing that's bothering me though is why this wasn't picked up by A&A when they raised a fault earlier this year for the same reasons, albeit without me having given them such a detailed analysis. One of the reasons I signed up with A&A for the line at this property was for their elite diagnosis and BT-badgering skills, as I forecast problems even before moving in judging from the age of some of the wiring. frown
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Oct-17 18:43:10
Print Post

[re: Be3G] [link to this post]

As such it's being raised as a PSTN fault rather than ADSL, with a resolution date of Tuesday.

Tsk, tsk, tsk ........

Unless they have a clear diagnosis of CIDT fail, and have raised a CIDT fault, then what you'll get is some new boy come, PQ test at the NTE, and then wander off whilst you get a bill for right when tested.

An SFI is what they need to raise.

Standard User Be3G
(newbie) Fri 27-Oct-17 18:51:33
Print Post

To be fair, A&A's response did say the fault is one Openreach will be fixing without needing an appointment to enter the premises, so it sounds like they're on the right track in that respect.
Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Sat 28-Oct-17 17:01:20
Print Post

I’ve seen a video A&A published a while back, I think on YouTube. I get the impression that they seriously dislike the SFI product!

Icaras
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to