General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MrBeeline
(committed) Thu 19-Oct-17 21:43:13
Print Post

Re: Advice required... storm damage

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks.

You make some very good points.

I'll check what the house insurance says. Must admit that I had not thought about this.

----
Mike
Standard User partial
(experienced) Thu 19-Oct-17 21:44:51
Print Post

[re: MrBeeline] [link to this post]

Won't have BT carved on it in 1956.

Will have

GPO
Height in feet
wood type/supplier code

I'd sit tight for a month and if nothing happens, report it as damage to Openreach. One would hope that the tech would know how to deal with storm damaged plant. There isn't an option for the techs to raise time related charges for pole renewal.
Standard User MrBeeline
(committed) Thu 19-Oct-17 22:08:36
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

I stand corrected. You are correct of course.

Just wandered down (nearly tripping over the cable) with my handy flashlight to have a look.
And it actually says:

GPO
18L

Not quite sure where I got the 1956 from! Sort of assuming that the 67 refereed to 1967, but maybe not now (from what you say).

Can confirm though, that it's been here since we first moved up here and that was 1977.

Still got the old black backlite phone that was here when we first moved in. In fact we continued to use it for a couple of years after moving in. How times have changed.

PS. Think I'll take your advice and sit on it for a while. Not really a problem till the Spring time, when people will start using the two paths that the cable is currently draped over. Thanks for you advice.

----
Mike

Edited by MrBeeline (Thu 19-Oct-17 22:10:35)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Fri 20-Oct-17 07:32:55
Print Post

67 does mean it’s from1967. 18L is the height and supplier code.

Icaras
Standard User partial
(experienced) Fri 20-Oct-17 17:42:19
Print Post

I wasn't quite there as I somehow forgot the year of preservation stamp! The 18L is 18 feet and Light. That is one small pole!
Standard User DanielCoffey67
(newbie) Fri 20-Oct-17 18:20:37
Print Post

MrBeeline - if you do decide to either remove or trim the tree, it may be worth asking around if there are any wood crafters in your area who would like first dibs.

I have just had some ash, beech and sycamore removed from a plot that I am now on and when one of the oaks was crown-lifted there were three sections about thigh thickness. Two of the local wood turners were desperate for the oak. They explained that even gnarly bits down to arm thickness are still of interest.

Large trunk sections would be precious and possibly have monetary value.

Have a look on Facebook for local green wood groups?
Standard User MrBeeline
(committed) Fri 20-Oct-17 21:59:42
Print Post

[re: DanielCoffey67] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DanielCoffey67:
MrBeeline - if you do decide to either remove or trim the tree, it may be worth asking around if there are any wood crafters in your area who would like first dibs.

I have just had some ash, beech and sycamore removed from a plot that I am now on and when one of the oaks was crown-lifted there were three sections about thigh thickness. Two of the local wood turners were desperate for the oak. They explained that even gnarly bits down to arm thickness are still of interest.

Large trunk sections would be precious and possibly have monetary value.

Have a look on Facebook for local green wood groups?

Thanks for that. But it's sort of a member of the family (so to speak).

No intention of getting it cut down. It would be a VERY difficult and dangerous job, costing many hundreds of pounds (possibly into four figures even!). I would estimate it's girth as in excess of 4m, making a good 200+ years old. This is one mother of a HUGE tree. Even the branch that came down would be considered a decent sized tree on it's own.

I'm currently in the process of cutting the branch up myself (got my basic chainsaw "ticket"). Most will go for firewood. As we have a wood burning boiler that powers the central heating during the worst of the Winter months. Though I do put aside a few choice pieces for a friend of mine in the local village that does a bit of wood turning. The joys of the countryside...

----
Mike

Edited by MrBeeline (Fri 20-Oct-17 22:02:41)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 21-Oct-17 09:54:44
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

18 foot shocked you could carry its replacement down on your shoulder !

Look for a marking ‘CLP1a’

*(that’s a clothes line prop)

Standard User MrBeeline
(committed) Tue 05-Dec-17 10:03:31
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

What a farce this has turned into! Conjurers up thoughts of "Brian Rix" (though I suspect you would need to be of a certain age to get that).

I wonder if BT talks to Openreach or any of the external contractors it employs? Or come to that, does anyone in BT's HELP centre/s talk to each other, or even listen to the customer?

If I've spoken to one, I must have spoken to countless dozens of people at BT regarding this issue (from many different countries by the sound of peoples accents). Same story related each time but that doesn't seem to stop the next person from phoning me to ask the same things... over and over and over. Openreach must also have "popped in" to see if things are OK several times now. Even though the job should clearly show that an adequate temporary service was supplied pretty much 2 months ago now. Can't fault the Openreach guys, they've always been very nice chaps (spent ages talking about cars to one guy + supplying tea and biscuits to another one). They've even dropped in a couple of Sundays running. Bottom line is, everyone seems to be trying to help, but communication has been pretty none existent!

Good point is. That it looks like they have accepted responsibility for the pole needing replacement due to its age. Well there's certainly been no mention of any charge up to now.

They were supposed to turn up this coming Friday to put the new pole up...But guess who turned up at 7:30am this morning. They are currently down there with a jack hammer discovering that the property sits on a bedrock of granite. Good luck to them.

Wonder how many more calls I'll get from Lucy, Sandra, Mohamed etc. at BT about this? Before hopefully it finally gets resolved.

Fingers crossed it actually turns out to be FOC

----
Mike

Edited by MrBeeline (Tue 05-Dec-17 10:06:36)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 05-Dec-17 10:16:37
Print Post

BT Consumer help desk can only talk to Openreach engineering to the same extent that Sky and TalkTalk can, rules of separation.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to