General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-Oct-17 03:38:31
Print Post

Plusnet or Origin?

[link to this post]

The Plusnet deal that was due to end on 24/10 appears to have been extended to 31/10, but even with £50 cash back it is still £50 more than the same 12 month contract with Origin.

I've been told Origin just resell Plusnet, so apart from support issues how can the service be 50% slower than Plusnet as reported?

I've been with Plusnet in the past and my feelings are they have just got worse, but they have paid out on claims against them. Can Origin be any worse? According to their website "We're signed up with the Ombudsman Services ADR scheme."

I'd like a service that actually works as advertised, but it would appear that none of the budget ones do any longer. frown

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - Sky via Technicolor TG582N

Previously - EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Plusnet, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet,
X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========

Edited by hk11 (Thu 26-Oct-17 03:51:21)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Oct-17 08:54:40
Print Post

Re: Plusnet or Origin?

[re: hk11] [link to this post]

Speed differences can arise not at the connection speed layer, but at throughput, since providers reselling usually have agreements on the amount of capacity they buy, and the same thing used to happen with Tiscali Wholesale and now TalkTalk Wholesale

i.e. not all resellers buy the same capacity or QoS parameters

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bob12345
(regular) Thu 26-Oct-17 09:38:49
Print Post

[re: hk11] [link to this post]

Origin has just had what they call a "service upgrade" it appears where possible people lines have been moved on to other equipment like TalkTalk LLU , who are now seeing lower throughput speeds as per the post i have seen on MSE forum.

What about Vodafone , even though they show a connection fee on the main site when you go top order it says free, same price as O.B.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-Oct-17 12:15:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ah, right.

Thanks for that clarification.

Previously - EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Plusnet, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet,
===========
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-Oct-17 12:16:17
Print Post

[re: bob12345] [link to this post]

Thanks Bob.

I'll take a look at Vodaphone.

Edit: They only seem to offer an 18 month contract at £6 a month more than Plunet. frown

===========

Edited by hk11 (Thu 26-Oct-17 12:29:37)

Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-Oct-17 13:16:28
Print Post

[re: bob12345] [link to this post]

Had an online chat with Vodafone; they seem very inflexible, offering no deals and only 18 month contracts.

Odly the £19 a month charge seemed to be £25 a month when I next looked at their website, so maybe it's just that time of the year for price rises? wink

===========
  Print Thread

Jump to