General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 13-Nov-17 23:29:57
Print Post

Re: Trying to order FTTC.....

[re: wolvesmad] [link to this post]

If activating the phone line they'll do just that, managed installs of VDSL2 cost more

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 13-Nov-17 23:47:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The location of the current NTE is in an unsuitable place, thereís no mains and itís in the middle of the building, probably why the builders cut the wires thinking itís never been used.

The cable internally has been cut twice from what I can see so I was hoping BT could run the drop wire to where I want the modem, which is in close proximity to where the drop wire is secured to the building from the pole across the road.

-

TalkTalk FTTC

Edited by wolvesmad (Mon 13-Nov-17 23:50:51)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Nov-17 07:05:17
Print Post

If a short run from OH feed to where you want the NTE, and thatís easier than providing it to the original location, then yep I expect itíll get done .... IF you get visited for the install.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 14-Nov-17 11:18:53
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I've been given an Openreach engineer time slot. If they don't turn up i'll be absolutely furious because I've booked time off work and it'll mean we'll be unserviceable, as the cable has been cut short and left in the loft.

The whole reason for going with PlusNet was because they gave us an option of an engineer visit, which I've paid for, unlike BT and Sky who wanted to re-enable the existing line.

No use when it's been butchered.

-

TalkTalk FTTC
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Nov-17 14:10:39
Print Post

Most likely they'll cut at the eaves and run a new lead in from there ..... so you'll get the NTE where you want it I expect.

If it's a contractor, don't take any BS and make sure they do a decent job.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Nov-17 14:15:21
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

And if they do need to then I would guess it will not be just a single guy as I can't believe they could run cable over a main road

There is a highly convoluted, but but essentially safe technique which involves leaving a rope laying across the road running to two pulleys on either end, you then (when clear haul this up, drag over the dropwire which you have connected to one end).
It is difficult to explain, but it does work .... and you still need a second safety bod.

In reality, mob handed or with a hoist is how most get done.

Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 21-Nov-17 10:25:21
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Well, the line is now in. BT engineer had a few issues getting a dial tone yesterday, think all 8 lines come into the building in the same place, so he just ran a wire into where I wanted it from the existing dead line.

He's shown me the line stats and it's connecting at 40/2 on his handheld tester, the line is 500m long with a max attainable of 52/12.

There is a but though.....

The PlusNet hub won't connect and I've just had a text off PlusNet saying there has been a problem with my install.

Will the BT engineer closing his job start the wheels in motion or do I need to ring PlusNet and say the line is in?

-

TalkTalk FTTC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 21-Nov-17 10:58:38
Print Post

PlusNet provisioning will only activate account once they've had the yes from providers i.e. close job, and then its down to TR-069 which can take 15 minutes for it to remotely configure the Hub One.

So usually its plug it all and go away for a long tea break.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 21-Nov-17 11:24:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Just had a text off PlusNet saying my new phone service has been activated.

Nothing about the internet yet.

-

TalkTalk FTTC 60|20Mb
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to