General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MrPete
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 05-Nov-17 15:13:44
Print Post

Moving House.. help!

[link to this post]

Hi
I'm moving house.
I've currently got a BT phone line with Plusnet business fibre.

The new house is on the same exchange and has a working phone line.
What's the easiest and quickest way to move my number and fibre to the new house ?

As I work from home I'd like a little downtime as possible..

Any ideas thanks
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 05-Nov-17 16:10:34
Print Post

Re: Moving House.. help!

[re: MrPete] [link to this post]

I assume you have checked the new house can get fibre, at a useful speed?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 73724/12601Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User MrPete
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 05-Nov-17 17:28:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I have and the speeds are showing fine.
Just need to work out the best way forward.

Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 05-Nov-17 17:51:27
Print Post

Ring your provider, let them know your move in date. They will advise on the date at which your new service will go live. In my experience (and I have done plenty of moves now) it can be a while, I've waited the least 10 days, the most 1 month. The trick is giving as much advance notice as possible.
Standard User MrPete
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 05-Nov-17 21:30:48
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

When you say the existing provider do you mean BT, Plusnet or Both ?

Thanks
Standard User Roksan
(newbie) Sun 05-Nov-17 22:28:11
Print Post

Contact PlusNet, let them know you are a customer & moving house & you wish to stay with them as a customer at your new premises. Give them plenty of time (2 weeks minimum), more if you can & keep a check on how things are progressing & you should be fine, they will contact BT for you.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 05-Nov-17 23:25:47
Print Post

[re: Roksan] [link to this post]

Plusnet have no control over the BT line the OP has. Plusnet cannot do anything at all about the move of that account and number to the new address.

Furthermore, Plusnet obviously cannot move the broadband to the physical line at the new property until the OP has control of that physical line, other than Plusnet taking over that physical line and setting up both phone and broadband accounts on it, with a completely new phone number for the OP.

Which is not desired.

Plusnet cannot ask BT Consumer, which is the company the OP has his line and number contract with, to do anything.

This is why the OP is asking what to do.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 73724/12601Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 05-Nov-17 23:27:10)

Standard User MrPete
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 07-Nov-17 08:28:04
Print Post

So what are my options.

Do I need BT to move the line & number ? How long will that take ?
Then get Plusnet to move the fibre ? again any ideas on how long that will take ?

Thanks smile
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 07-Nov-17 09:09:02
Print Post

Sorry, I really don't know.

At a simple level, getting BT to move the number first won't work because that will cease your Plusnet broadband. You would not be able to do a Plusnet house move for that reason.

At a complex level, perhaps it is possible for BT to place the order for a SIM (Simultaneous Provide) order for the phone line/number and a fresh provide of BT Infinity there, with you then literally cancellng the existing service completely. That is fraught with high risk, and depending on whether or not you are in a minimum term with Plusnet could be expensive. (Maybe not expensive in the overall context of a house move).

At a practical level, bite the bullet and migrate the fibre here and now to BT then get them to do the house and number move. I would think that is the safest if it is vital to keep the phone number.

Or put up with losing the number. Get a line and fibre put in by Plusnet on a house move and ditch the BT line.

In some of the above, split the fibre and line at the end of the new minimum term you would be on, if you feel it preferable.

There may be flaws in all the above, particularly given Plusnet's ability to mess up anything and seeming inability to do SIM provides within their computer system, needing manual control. But others may be able to suggest variations on one or more of those possibilities and end up with a viable plan.

Are you able to be in control of the line and broadband at both premises for a month or so?

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 07-Nov-17 11:22:06
Print Post

Most bases covered, but to add make sure you plan for things going wrong, i.e. have mobile data that you can tether with, even if this means buying a non-contract 4G dongle/router.

My feeling is that the BT line move (which MUST be done via BT Consumer) will work, but there will be a gap of a couple weeks on the broadband.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to