General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 08-Nov-17 17:52:57
Print Post

Re: REIN

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
As MHC says, a ‘noisy’ pump starting when the full level reaches a certain point. Had one of these doing exactly that in Lower Earley near Reading.... long lines like yours, and a whole estate affected.

It took them a while to get the pump replaced. You could monitor lines, no errors, no nuttin’ then around every 15 mins or so you’d get thousands, dome of the closer properties even dropping sync.

I bet you were flushed with success on finding that ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Nov-17 18:22:15
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

It would be wrong of me to take credit for that one, my chum Steve is to be tanked for that one.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 08-Nov-17 18:33:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:

It would be wrong of me to take credit for that one, my chum Steve is to be tanked for that one.

Just think how many connections were dumped when there was a problem.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Nov-17 18:49:01
Print Post

All joking aside, it was a big issue on that estate. The pumping station was about 70m from their cab.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 08-Nov-17 18:50:52
Print Post

What an outflowing

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 08-Nov-17 18:52:38
Print Post

Yeah saw that after posting

Another possible culprit is central heating pumps which will of course have all recently just switched back on to keep homes warm

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BestofTimes
(newbie) Wed 08-Nov-17 19:15:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Has anyone tried hunting for spurious noise patterns using an AM radio?

The original OR tech who came here did after checking all inside and external wiring and found evidence of noise leading him to think that REIN was a Distinct possibility. We've not wandered too far with that yet ourselves because my old AM portable has turned up it's toes. I will get anothe one though and have a wander

Martin
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Nov-17 19:16:27
Print Post

Don't forget street lamps. When I had ADSL Max I was getting enormous amounts of errors which turned out to be a sodium street lamp with a broken starter going off and on all day and it wasn't even near my property but it was on the phone line path which I tracked down using an AM walkman. I remember getting to the top of the street about half a mile from the lamp but could hear crackling from that distance on the radio, looked down the street and there was the lamp trying to come on and then going off again. Reported it to council they took it out of commission and a few months later the whole estate had new lamps.

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus DSL-N55U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Current Sync: 79505/19661

BQM
(newbie) Wed 08-Nov-17 19:19:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:
In reply to a post by BestofTimes:
The second difficulty is the intransigence of the Northumbrian Estate owner. Most of the farms are tenants not freehold and the ability to grant extra agreements is reserved to the estate owner, not the tenant.

An interesting comment. The owner is very likely to be a member of the Country Landowners Association - and they really are pushing to get High(er) speed connectivity to the remote estates.

As for dishes - they can be hidden and if a council is refusing to allow fast broadband access then they need to be named and shamed. What would happen if you decided to go down te satellite route with a 1.2m dish? I assume they would say no.

He isn't; thinks they are a bunch of w*****s.. We are pushing for a change in the current policy on dishes and yes, at the moment the would refuse consent for a 1.2m dish. I don't want to go Dow the satellite route unless it's an absolute last resort

Martin
(newbie) Wed 08-Nov-17 19:23:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
To add exchange looks to be IPStream Max only, so any flapping in speeds gets crippled further by the IP Profile system which is real pain on the ADSL only services.

Looking at a few random postcodes outside the existing FTTP area, seems lots more are due FTTP, so fingers crossed that roll-out won't be too far away, maybe some begging may see you moved up the list if the issues cannot be quickly resolved.

It would be nice, since we are outside the current BT / BDUK programme. A community provision route is being explored, but no progress as yet. You tend to develop patience out here.

Martin
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to