General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BestofTimes
(newbie) Wed 08-Nov-17 19:25:27
Print Post

Re: REIN

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Banger:
Don't forget street lamps. When I had ADSL Max I was getting enormous amounts of errors which turned out to be a sodium street lamp with a broken starter going off and on all day and it wasn't even near my property but it was on the phone line path which I tracked down using an AM walkman. I remember getting to the top of the street about half a mile from the lamp but could hear crackling from that distance on the radio, looked down the street and there was the lamp trying to come on and then going off again. Reported it to council they took it out of commission and a few months later the whole estate had new lamps.

A grand total of 3 street lights, but another thing worth pursuing. Thank you

Martin
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Nov-17 21:20:52
Print Post

[re: BestofTimes] [link to this post]

Point I was trying to make is REIN can be anywhere along the cable route. I followed my underground cable back to the cab then started walking back along the route with radio, the lamp wasn't doing it on my first pass.

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus DSL-N55U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Current Sync: 79505/19661

BQM
(newbie) Thu 09-Nov-17 07:11:00
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Banger:
Point I was trying to make is REIN can be anywhere along the cable route. I followed my underground cable back to the cab then started walking back along the route with radio, the lamp wasn't doing it on my first pass.

Noted, and I will do do for that part of the route that is currently accessible on foot.

Martin

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Thumper
(newbie) Thu 09-Nov-17 11:12:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by BestofTimes:
As to the radio plan, it's open countryside and there are no buildings tall enough to provide clear los. I would thing two tmasts would be needed, the problem being that the planning authority have already given a formal opinion that planning consent would be refused. There is also the little matter of the fee that the estate owner would charge for allowing us to put masts up in the first place.

There are some link planning software packages out there that are free to use, and include terrain profiles, but not trees.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Nov-17 22:22:45
Print Post

Any electric fences in the vicinity?

This American site has a couple of cases, though from an amateur radio perspective.
http://www.arrl.org/electric-fence
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Nov-17 22:28:13
Print Post

[re: Thumper] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Thumper:
There are some link planning software packages out there that are free to use, and include terrain profiles, but not trees.

One useful one from Ubiquiti:
https://airlink.ubnt.com/
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 10-Nov-17 06:08:07
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Electric fences can have a more pronounced affect if they are being earthed somewhere along their run, tall wet grass brushing against the fence wire maybe.

Standard User Thumper
(newbie) Fri 10-Nov-17 08:30:15
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
In reply to a post by Thumper:

One useful one from Ubiquiti:
https://airlink.ubnt.com/

And
https://www.cambiumnetworks.com/products/management/...
(newbie) Wed 15-Nov-17 19:13:53
Print Post

UPDATE: BT Openreach reported that they had resolved my fault on the morning of the 14th which was confirmed by my ISP, Zen, later the same day. I ran various speed tests on returning home after work and am pleased to be able to report that the download speed is now hovering around the 1.3 Mbps mark with upload at about 0.3 Mbps.

These figures compare with about 1.0/0.3 before the fault and 0.3/0.3 during. My neighbours have reported similar improvements. This may not sound like much, but it is the difference between usable and useless.

Credit where it's due, at some points during this problem I have seen more BT OR vans whizzing around since the last time I wandered round a TEC. Whils I've not been advised of the source of the problem, I have a distinct suspicion that it related to work recently carried out by another utility about 700m away to the west. This had not involved any excavations but was significant in the light of the nature of the problem.

Many thanks to the hive mind of the forums for some mind expanding commentary and suggestions and to BT Oprnreach and Zen.for diligently following up on things.

Martin
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 16-Nov-17 08:33:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by BestofTimes:
Credit where it's due, at some points during this problem I have seen more BT OR vans whizzing around since the last time I wandered round a TEC. Whils I've not been advised of the source of the problem, I have a distinct suspicion that it related to work recently carried out by another utility about 700m away to the west. This had not involved any excavations but was significant in the light of the nature of the problem.

So, what was going on ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to