General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BestofTimes
(newbie) Wed 08-Nov-17 09:26:18
Print Post

REIN

[link to this post]

I'll outline the physical details first.

I live in rural Northumberland at the same address for 27 years
I receive landline service from the Capheaton exchange
Capheaton has been fitted for fibre connections, but onl provides FTTC service to Capheaton village itself. The rest of us are too far away.
It's an EO line as are most provisions here
Straight line distance to the exchange is about 4.6 km
Line length is over 5 km
There is very poor 3G mobile reception outdoors only and no 4G/5G service at all
Within the house there is a normal BT master socket with no extensions. The only connections into it are the landline phone and the router, the latter being on a shelf immediately above the master socket and within 1m

When I first moved here our voice provision was via shared service, subsequently progressing through DACS eventually progressing to the point where ADSL became available about 7 years ago.

Now for obvious reasons given the basic details above, I've never expected to be able to download Netflix et al, but the service has been reasonably consistent for some years at just under or just over 1 Mbps. Sufficient for browsing and email at least without too many difficulties.

On the 10th of October, at 20:00, the connection speed nosedived to it's current level of 0.3 Mbps and has stubbornly remained there ever since. There are 25 Houses in the hamlet and of the people having broadband service, 90% have reported almost identical deterioration starting at or around the same time.

After the usual reboots and wiring checking we have reported faults to our ISP's and Openreach have attended several properties since this started, including my own, I have no complaint about the ISP response or indeed Openreach - well other than the fact that the fault remains unresolved that is.

We have now been told that the problem is one of REIN origin. I've read up on this and understand that the causes are potentially complex and not the easiest things in the world to pin down. We have tried to find out if anyone either in the houses or farms adjacent to the cable route have installed any new electrical equipment or burglar alarms etc but nothing has come to light so far.

The slight sickener in all this is that there are premises within 500m of us served by the Belsay exchange that have full FTTP installations. Unfortunately not in direct line of sight or else I might start thinking about wireless installations. I have no wish to go down the satellite route and in any event there are problems with the planning authorities regarding dish installations here. As noted above there is poor 3G service outdoors only and no 4G/5G service at all. There are therefore no practical alternatives to landline provision of service at the moment

Apologies for expanding on a tale of woe at length, but Openreach are going to undertake a full REIN investigation over the next few days and I was wondering if any forum members have had experiences of this and the level of success achieved from such investigations in the past. I appreciate that there are rarely completely identical circumstances and that each case will be different, but any pointers will be welcome.

Martin
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 08-Nov-17 11:45:21
Print Post

Re: REIN

[re: BestofTimes] [link to this post]

Success is a do they find it and resolve it or not.

On the issue, do router stats from the various homes confirm attenuation has remained stable but connection speeds have dropped while still using the same target noise margin?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 08-Nov-17 13:07:03
Print Post

You may be able to help OR - who will do their best. It sounds as thougt you know the route the cables take, so drive or walk that ALL the way back to the exchange. Look for any road works that have recently taken place - including on verges and footpaths and any traffic lights. Look for any new equipment that a landowner or residents has - generator, Christmas lights &c. Anything new might be a cause.

As for the 500m to an FTTP point - how many hops would it take on masts or buildings to get to you? You may find a route that works - then with your neighbours install a series of links and then a local network.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Nov-17 14:02:44
Print Post

It doesn’t have to be new equipment, old stuff going faulty causes it too.

If it is just causing slow speeds I’d suggest that the source (if it is REIN) is some way off.

Has anyone had a sniff about with a MW radio tuned to 612 ?

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 08-Nov-17 14:51:54
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:

True, but new is easier to spot and something the OP could initiate.

DSL stats may also be of assistance - set to ADSL tones and look for any big notches and are they repeated across each poroperty?

M H C

(newbie) Wed 08-Nov-17 14:57:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

For mine and my immediate neighbour, yes. it will take a little time to collect the others as people come home from work

Downstream attenuation has never varied from 63.5 dB the entire time I've had an ADSL service it's a very long line. Upstream shows 31.5 dB.

The noise margin has certainly remained constant since the episode on the 10th October but I'm afraid I've not got any records prior to that date. Downstream is 14.2 dB, upstream is 10 dB.

Martin
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 08-Nov-17 15:09:09
Print Post

Those attenuation figures are almost certainly the modem's maxed out value and your real levels will be greater than those - some modems do show figures into the 80s for downstream but a lot stop at 63.5/31.5

As your margin is 14.2 then there is a possibility that the source has gone and you may slowly climb back to your original speed and 6dB margin. The BT Tech may not be able to find a REIN problem if is is stable at 14.2

Given you have a long line, what modem/hub are you using? Some are better on longer lines than others and can give just a little more speed..

M H C

(newbie) Wed 08-Nov-17 15:13:30
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
You may be able to help OR - who will do their best. It sounds as thougt you know the route the cables take, so drive or walk that ALL the way back to the exchange. Look for any road works that have recently taken place - including on verges and footpaths and any traffic lights. Look for any new equipment that a landowner or residents has - generator, Christmas lights &c. Anything new might be a cause.

As for the 500m to an FTTP point - how many hops would it take on masts or buildings to get to you? You may find a route that works - then with your neighbours install a series of links and then a local network.

For the roughly 1/3 of the route that is highway accessible there are no roadworks or excavations of any type. The remainder of the route crosses open farmland which is not directly accessible by vehicle and Only with difficulty on foot.since there are no public footpaths. I have asked the 4 landowners concerned for consent and await their reply. The nearest set of traffic lights is 14 miles away so I'm pretty certain they can be eliminated.

No neighbour has reported having any new electrical kit and my bet is that it is something on one or more of the farms. The timings though do not conform to any agricultural usage of which I'm aware.

As to the radio plan, it's open countryside and there are no buildings tall enough to provide clear los. I would thing two tmasts would be needed, the problem being that the planning authority have already given a formal opinion that planning consent would be refused. There is also the little matter of the fee that the estate owner would charge for allowing us to put masts up in the first place.

Martin
(newbie) Wed 08-Nov-17 15:16:38
Print Post

If it is just causing slow speeds I’d suggest that the source (if it is REIN) is some way off.

Has anyone had a sniff about with a MW radio tuned to 612 ?

Yes, that is the reason that the first OR engineer came to the conclusion of REIN being the most likely cause after having checked the internal wiring, drop wire and poling.

Martin
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 08-Nov-17 15:17:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by BestofTimes:
As to the radio plan, it's open countryside and there are no buildings tall enough to provide clear los. I would thing two tmasts would be needed, the problem being that the planning authority have already given a formal opinion that planning consent would be refused. There is also the little matter of the fee that the estate owner would charge for allowing us to put masts up in the first place.

Martin

You don't need a direct line - you could for example run four sides of a hexagon to skirt round a hill. They don't need masts - just the corner of a barn, house, water tower or grain silo. And those owners would get the benefits by tapping off as it went through their land ...

M H C

(newbie) Wed 08-Nov-17 15:26:39
Print Post

Those attenuation figures are almost certainly the modem's maxed out value and your real levels will be greater than those - some modems do show figures into the 80s for downstream but a lot stop at 63.5/31.5

As your margin is 14.2 then there is a possibility that the source has gone and you may slowly climb back to your original speed and 6dB margin. The BT Tech may not be able to find a REIN problem if is is stable at 14.2

Given you have a long line, what modem/hub are you using? Some are better on longer lines than others and can give just a little more speed..

Having had a call from OR this morning, they think that the source is recurring at approximately daily intervals albeit at inconsistent times. Given that they now have over 20 fault reports having the same characteristics from the 25 houses here they are running a full investigation. Possibilities include the farms between us and the exchange; a small sewage treatment plant about 200 m away albeit in the opposite direction to the line route or other Unknown.

Martin
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 08-Nov-17 15:41:46
Print Post

Anything that you can do to assist the BT Tech will go down well - make sure to offer him/her a tea/coffee too.

The sewage treatment plant may well have monitoring equipment and a line, that could then go back through a cabinet in your hamlet and if the noise is very high, then pick up on your lines at than point is quite possible. If, as you say, random times, it may tie in with something of that sort - pumps run only when a tank is full and thus random.

M H C

(newbie) Wed 08-Nov-17 15:42:31
Print Post

You don't need a direct line - you could for example run four sides of a hexagon to skirt round a hill. They don't need masts - just the corner of a barn, house, water tower or grain silo. And those owners would get the benefits by tapping off as it went through their land ...

Agreed in terms of physical layout, but the difficulty is compunded by the presence of forestry plantations which would probably require long work rounds. Having spent the majority of my career as a surveyor I need to dig out some of my old kit perhaps.

The 2 principal difficulties are planning. The area is subject to what in Planning terms is called an Article 4 Direction which removes permitted development rights including dishes so each installation would require individual planning consent. Which would be refused as being contrary to the published planning policies.for the are. ("Intrusion to visual amenity")

The second difficulty is the intransigence of the Northumbrian Estate owner. Most of the farms are tenants not freehold and the ability to grant extra agreements is reserved to the estate owner, not the tenant. One of the reasons for the very poor mobile coverage here is that the largest estate owner doesn't like masts, dishes and towers. He therefore refuses to consider installations on his land. Either from the mobile comms companies or individuals.

Martin
(newbie) Wed 08-Nov-17 15:47:41
Print Post

Anything that you can do to assist the BT Tech will go down well - make sure to offer him/her a tea/coffee too.

The sewage treatment plant may well have monitoring equipment and a line, that could then go back through a cabinet in your hamlet and if the noise is very high, then pick up on your lines at than point is quite possible. If, as you say, random times, it may tie in with something of that sort - pumps run only when a tank is full and thus random.

Team and coffee plus the odd biscuit on tap.....

There are no cabinets of any sort here, all lines are EO back to Capheaton exchange, apart from the people at Capheaton, who have been provided with an FTTC service from the shiny new cabinet outside the exchange. The last time I looked, there were only 127 premises served by the exchange anyway.

Martin
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 08-Nov-17 16:06:39
Print Post

The second difficulty is the intransigence of the Northumbrian Estate owner. Most of the farms are tenants not freehold and the ability to grant extra agreements is reserved to the estate owner, not the tenant.

An interesting comment. The owner is very likely to be a member of the Country Landowners Association - and they really are pushing to get High(er) speed connectivity to the remote estates.

As for dishes - they can be hidden and if a council is refusing to allow fast broadband access then they need to be named and shamed. What would happen if you decided to go down te satellite route with a 1.2m dish? I assume they would say no.

M H C

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 08-Nov-17 16:08:05
Print Post

Cabinet may be the wrong word - perhaps a joint box potentially underground where small bundles of lines are aggregated into a larger 50 or 100 pair cable.

M H C

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 08-Nov-17 17:02:23
Print Post

Has anyone tried hunting for spurious noise patterns using an AM radio?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 08-Nov-17 17:06:46
Print Post

To add exchange looks to be IPStream Max only, so any flapping in speeds gets crippled further by the IP Profile system which is real pain on the ADSL only services.

Looking at a few random postcodes outside the existing FTTP area, seems lots more are due FTTP, so fingers crossed that roll-out won't be too far away, maybe some begging may see you moved up the list if the issues cannot be quickly resolved.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 08-Nov-17 17:11:11
Print Post

Zarjaz has suggested it too ...

M H C

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Nov-17 17:35:43
Print Post

As MHC says, a ‘noisy’ pump starting when the full level reaches a certain point. Had one of these doing exactly that in Lower Earley near Reading.... long lines like yours, and a whole estate affected.

It took them a while to get the pump replaced. You could monitor lines, no errors, no nuttin’ then around every 15 mins or so you’d get thousands, dome of the closer properties even dropping sync.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 08-Nov-17 17:52:57
Print Post

As MHC says, a ‘noisy’ pump starting when the full level reaches a certain point. Had one of these doing exactly that in Lower Earley near Reading.... long lines like yours, and a whole estate affected.

It took them a while to get the pump replaced. You could monitor lines, no errors, no nuttin’ then around every 15 mins or so you’d get thousands, dome of the closer properties even dropping sync.

I bet you were flushed with success on finding that ...

M H C

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Nov-17 18:22:15
Print Post

It would be wrong of me to take credit for that one, my chum Steve is to be tanked for that one.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 08-Nov-17 18:33:51
Print Post

It would be wrong of me to take credit for that one, my chum Steve is to be tanked for that one.

Just think how many connections were dumped when there was a problem.

M H C

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Nov-17 18:49:01
Print Post

All joking aside, it was a big issue on that estate. The pumping station was about 70m from their cab.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 08-Nov-17 18:50:52
Print Post

What an outflowing

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 08-Nov-17 18:52:38
Print Post

Yeah saw that after posting

Another possible culprit is central heating pumps which will of course have all recently just switched back on to keep homes warm

(newbie) Wed 08-Nov-17 19:15:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Has anyone tried hunting for spurious noise patterns using an AM radio?

The original OR tech who came here did after checking all inside and external wiring and found evidence of noise leading him to think that REIN was a Distinct possibility. We've not wandered too far with that yet ourselves because my old AM portable has turned up it's toes. I will get anothe one though and have a wander

Martin
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Nov-17 19:16:27
Print Post

Don't forget street lamps. When I had ADSL Max I was getting enormous amounts of errors which turned out to be a sodium street lamp with a broken starter going off and on all day and it wasn't even near my property but it was on the phone line path which I tracked down using an AM walkman. I remember getting to the top of the street about half a mile from the lamp but could hear crackling from that distance on the radio, looked down the street and there was the lamp trying to come on and then going off again. Reported it to council they took it out of commission and a few months later the whole estate had new lamps.

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus DSL-N55U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Current Sync: 79505/19661

BQM
(newbie) Wed 08-Nov-17 19:19:16
Print Post

The second difficulty is the intransigence of the Northumbrian Estate owner. Most of the farms are tenants not freehold and the ability to grant extra agreements is reserved to the estate owner, not the tenant.

An interesting comment. The owner is very likely to be a member of the Country Landowners Association - and they really are pushing to get High(er) speed connectivity to the remote estates.

As for dishes - they can be hidden and if a council is refusing to allow fast broadband access then they need to be named and shamed. What would happen if you decided to go down te satellite route with a 1.2m dish? I assume they would say no.

He isn't; thinks they are a bunch of w*****s.. We are pushing for a change in the current policy on dishes and yes, at the moment the would refuse consent for a 1.2m dish. I don't want to go Dow the satellite route unless it's an absolute last resort

Martin
(newbie) Wed 08-Nov-17 19:23:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
To add exchange looks to be IPStream Max only, so any flapping in speeds gets crippled further by the IP Profile system which is real pain on the ADSL only services.

Looking at a few random postcodes outside the existing FTTP area, seems lots more are due FTTP, so fingers crossed that roll-out won't be too far away, maybe some begging may see you moved up the list if the issues cannot be quickly resolved.

It would be nice, since we are outside the current BT / BDUK programme. A community provision route is being explored, but no progress as yet. You tend to develop patience out here.

Martin
(newbie) Wed 08-Nov-17 19:25:27
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Banger:
Don't forget street lamps. When I had ADSL Max I was getting enormous amounts of errors which turned out to be a sodium street lamp with a broken starter going off and on all day and it wasn't even near my property but it was on the phone line path which I tracked down using an AM walkman. I remember getting to the top of the street about half a mile from the lamp but could hear crackling from that distance on the radio, looked down the street and there was the lamp trying to come on and then going off again. Reported it to council they took it out of commission and a few months later the whole estate had new lamps.

A grand total of 3 street lights, but another thing worth pursuing. Thank you

Martin
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Nov-17 21:20:52
Print Post

Point I was trying to make is REIN can be anywhere along the cable route. I followed my underground cable back to the cab then started walking back along the route with radio, the lamp wasn't doing it on my first pass.

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus DSL-N55U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Current Sync: 79505/19661

BQM
(newbie) Thu 09-Nov-17 07:11:00
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Banger:
Point I was trying to make is REIN can be anywhere along the cable route. I followed my underground cable back to the cab then started walking back along the route with radio, the lamp wasn't doing it on my first pass.

Noted, and I will do do for that part of the route that is currently accessible on foot.

Martin
Standard User Thumper
(newbie) Thu 09-Nov-17 11:12:14
Print Post

There are some link planning software packages out there that are free to use, and include terrain profiles, but not trees.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Nov-17 22:22:45
Print Post

Any electric fences in the vicinity?

This American site has a couple of cases, though from an amateur radio perspective.
http://www.arrl.org/electric-fence
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Nov-17 22:28:13
Print Post

[re: Thumper] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Thumper:
There are some link planning software packages out there that are free to use, and include terrain profiles, but not trees.

One useful one from Ubiquiti:
https://airlink.ubnt.com/
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 10-Nov-17 06:08:07
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Electric fences can have a more pronounced affect if they are being earthed somewhere along their run, tall wet grass brushing against the fence wire maybe.

Standard User Thumper
(newbie) Fri 10-Nov-17 08:30:15
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
In reply to a post by Thumper:

One useful one from Ubiquiti:
https://airlink.ubnt.com/

And
https://www.cambiumnetworks.com/products/management/...
(newbie) Wed 15-Nov-17 19:13:53
Print Post

UPDATE: BT Openreach reported that they had resolved my fault on the morning of the 14th which was confirmed by my ISP, Zen, later the same day. I ran various speed tests on returning home after work and am pleased to be able to report that the download speed is now hovering around the 1.3 Mbps mark with upload at about 0.3 Mbps.

These figures compare with about 1.0/0.3 before the fault and 0.3/0.3 during. My neighbours have reported similar improvements. This may not sound like much, but it is the difference between usable and useless.

Credit where it's due, at some points during this problem I have seen more BT OR vans whizzing around since the last time I wandered round a TEC. Whils I've not been advised of the source of the problem, I have a distinct suspicion that it related to work recently carried out by another utility about 700m away to the west. This had not involved any excavations but was significant in the light of the nature of the problem.

Many thanks to the hive mind of the forums for some mind expanding commentary and suggestions and to BT Oprnreach and Zen.for diligently following up on things.

Martin
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 16-Nov-17 08:33:13
Print Post

Credit where it's due, at some points during this problem I have seen more BT OR vans whizzing around since the last time I wandered round a TEC. Whils I've not been advised of the source of the problem, I have a distinct suspicion that it related to work recently carried out by another utility about 700m away to the west. This had not involved any excavations but was significant in the light of the nature of the problem.

So, what was going on ?

M H C

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-Nov-17 08:54:01
Print Post

Openreach are not allowed to divulge details of causes, apart from to the presumed cause. So there’s a chance the OP will never know.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 16-Nov-17 09:02:16
Print Post

I know that, it was that the OP alluded to another utility do some work close-by and wondered what that was.

M H C

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-Nov-17 09:33:27
Print Post

Yes, sorry, rereading it all makes sense now.

(newbie) Fri 17-Nov-17 18:46:50
Print Post

Yes, sorry, rereading it all makes sense now.

Sorry to have sounded a little mysterious about it but I was waiting for something to occur today as a check.

3 days before the fault developed, Northern Electric were carrying out some line replacement and pole transformer replacement works several hundred metres away to the west. I knew that works were going on that necessitated our power being off for 5 hours but since the works were in the opposite direction to my normal travel route I hadn't observed them directly. There were no road excavations or similar operations.

I did have a look when tracing the line route and could not see any particular signs other than the fact that the "new" transformer looked rather ancient and battered. A the end of last week we received another notice advising us of two further service interruptions this week.

First time the tatty transformer was replaced and today there have clearly been excavation works running up to it. I appreciate that this may still be 2+2 = 5, but it's the only reasonably time coincident activity nvolving power systems tbat I've been able to track down within a 1000m radius. I had not considered it at first because it was so far away from the line route, but there are no currently better candidates.

Martin.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to