General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User oldskool
(member) Mon 13-Nov-17 11:23:19
Print Post

Moving to virgin - maybe

[link to this post]

BT Fibre due for renewal today. Considering virgin!

I am on an ECI cab, speeds not too great and doesn't look like they will move past 50Mbps anytime soon.

Virgin business offering 350Mbps.

Anything to consider or be concerned about here? Its a 24 month contract and i need stability. Outside of business use i game too so i need stable pings.

An awful long time to be hooked in if i have issues.

Plus, its only just gone live in my area but, why would they only allow me to have up to 200Mbps? That bit concerns me, if its a new area activation why wouldn't they go with 350Mbps hardware?

thank you
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 13-Nov-17 11:31:21
Print Post

Re: Moving to virgin - maybe

[re: oldskool] [link to this post]

If it was me and I was spending serious gaming time, I'd keep the FTTC for low and stable latency and the Virgin for when I wanted that 100GB game downloaded ASAP

Its less about the hardware and the capacity of the network overall to handle the higher speed users, i.e. the general thing is people buying the fastest are also those that use it the most

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 13-Nov-17 11:32:17
Print Post

Which are they offering then, 350Mbps or 200Mbps? First you say 350, then strongly imply you can only have 200.

From what I see on here, congestion can vary from never seen in some places to quite bad in others, but latency seen on BQMs seems to be generally very poor and variable compared to most FTTC ISPs.

Gaming doesn't need more than your 50Mbps except for a few seconds saving when updating or downloading a new game. Latency is king, and particularly stable latency. Whereas if you are mainly streaming or downloading/uploading loads of data stable latency is much less important.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 73724/12601Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Nov-17 11:36:43
Print Post

Gaming is worlds better on what you already have from my experience.
Standard User oldskool
(member) Mon 13-Nov-17 11:48:37
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

sorry yes confusing; they advertise up to 350Mbps, when i called, they said the max i could get is 200Mbps in my area. They couldn't answer why, apart from saying the equipment was old. When i said it was only installed a few months ago they said they didn't know.

Sadly they told me 7Mbps upload was not suitable for video chat / Skype / etc. They tried to push me to the 15Mbps upload package.

The first sniff of the virgin media BS wagon.

Hmmm ok, you guys have convinced me i should seriously consider staying with BT (if i can get a decent deal). Despite only getting 52Mbps, its a much more stable line.

I have to say, it is, i always achieve 50Mbps no matter what and the ping is solid.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 13-Nov-17 12:43:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by oldskool:
Sadly they told me 7Mbps upload was not suitable for video chat / Skype / etc. They tried to push me to the 15Mbps upload package.

The first sniff of the virgin media BS wagon.

Yep, they are offloading their BS onto you!

Skype video chat can take as little as 128 kbps, yes 128 kilo bits. If you use High Quality, that goes up to about 400 kbps and with te full HD option 1.2 Mbps.

If this is the quality of support you are seeing now, does it give you any confidence for the day a real problem occurs?

As you said, serious reconsider staying with BT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 13-Nov-17 15:21:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Isn't the Virgin latency issue more related to the SuperHub 3 than the actual network itself?

Friends have managed to get a SuperHub 2 from Virgin and their connection seemed to improve massively.

Virgin is area dependant though and the only real way of finding out how good / bad it is, is by either asking neighbours on cable or taking the gamble and ordering it.

FTTC is generally more stable latency wise as long as the line is clean. If you order 100 or 200Mb on Virgin the modem will connect at that speed unlike FTTC which is rate adaptive so if you order 76, you may end up with 48 or 57.

-

TalkTalk FTTC
Standard User gmangt4
(learned) Mon 13-Nov-17 17:18:53
Print Post

I had both, my FTTC 38Mb connection always felt smoother and faster than my 200Mb VM one, at peak times gaming was very unstable on my VM connection while on my FTTC connection it was always the same ping and bandwidth no matter what time of day.....it might also depend what you play, I play FPS like Battlefield, COD, Titanfall, Destiny, the rubber banding and teleporting drove me mad on the VM connection at peak times, although speedtest showed 220Mb it was very difficult to stream a YouTube HD video on my VM at peak....I no longer have the VM connection and never once except for longer game updates, have I thought my FTTC connection is not quick enough, as said, ping is king and the jitter is too much for me on VM for VOIP and FPS gaming.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 13-Nov-17 18:03:38
Print Post

[re: wolvesmad] [link to this post]

Its a mixture of things the hub, how DOCSIS works, local congestion and core network links to bits of the Internet congested.

Classic PR lines like 'Problems last night were due to a 1% drop in capacity', show how close to the wire things are run in the core, if chunks of the Internet (in that case anything via LINX) can become almost invisible.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User oldskool
(member) Mon 13-Nov-17 19:54:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

thanks all, invaluable, as always.

I've just renewed with BT. They agreed to £28.99 for Infinity 1+Line for 12 months.

My other options

Virgin Business £36 (inc vat) - Up to 200Mbps/7Mbps. 24 months
Plusnet Up £29.99 - Up to 76Mbps. 12 months.

Plusnet obviously decent but my line stats suggest i'm already at my max sync. E.g

6. Data rate: 9995 / 54995
7. Maximum data rate: 15799 / 54855
8. Noise margin: 9.9 / 5.9
9. Line attenuation: 27.7 / 19.8
10. Signal attenuation: 27.5 / 19.7

So i dont think it can go faster anyway?

Plus i run the risk of receiving a router that doesn't sync as well with ECI.

My BT Hub is a Type A (BT Hub 5A) - which i understand is just right for ECI equipment. So i may end up worse with a plusnet router.

So on balance, didn't think it was worth the gamble due to my sync stats.

Hopefully i made the right decision.

And hopefully g.fast will come soon to ECI and my area.

I dont think BT have upgraded me to infinity 2 for free like some people have.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to