General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MrPete
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 14-Nov-17 08:39:01
Print Post

BTW vs LLU - Pros & Cons ?

[link to this post]

Hi

What are the pros or cons to using an LLU service over BTW ?
The exchange I'm on offer TTB & SKY LLU, any benefit using either of them over a BTW based product ?

Thanks
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Nov-17 08:56:33
Print Post

Re: BTW vs LLU - Pros & Cons ?

[re: MrPete] [link to this post]

ADSL, FTTC or FTTP? The "benefits" depend on which type of technology.
Standard User MrPete
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 14-Nov-17 09:29:52
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Sorry I should have said !

FTTC

Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Nov-17 09:48:11
Print Post

OK, Sky and Talktalk LLU aren't available at every exchange so you need to check that first.

LLU on FTTC is not as deep in the network as it was on ADSL so the suppliers have less control over things. However, they do have control over the backhaul from the exchange. For the most part you aren't going to see that much difference on FTTC between LLU and non-LLU - they may have slightly different rules on contention but otherwise I don't think you will notice much.

There are reports that moving to/from LLU can be a little more complex and sometimes ISPs try to charge for "cease" when in fact it should just be a migration.
Standard User MrPete
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 14-Nov-17 09:54:12
Print Post

Thanks
Sky & TalkTalk are available on the exchange. I'm moving house and trying to find out what the best options are.

I've never considered LLU in the past.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Nov-17 10:36:24
Print Post

If going TalkTalk you might want to consider a business product - their consumer product has had bad press in the past, although don't see so much about them these days.

Sky is generally fine (or as good as any). You might also find good deals around - especially if you can do your shopping on black friday next week as BT especially can do good deals then.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 14-Nov-17 10:40:14
Print Post

I assume you aren't hoping to transfer your phone number to the new premises. In which case having a line installed by Sky or TalkTalk probably means you will be given a number from their pool.

AIUI that can cause some (not all) CPs a problem if you later wish to migrate to a BT Wholesale based service.

Other than that, as Ian says.

(As an aside, technically there is no such thing as LLU on FTTC, but we know what you mean. LLU refers to the CP completely controlling your line settings at the exchange and your line entering the exchange connecting directly to their DSLAM/MSAN. On FTTC the DSLAM is Openreach's and is in the cabinet, with Openreach offering the ISP a few stability options and such).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 73724/12601Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 14-Nov-17 11:23:35
Print Post

Nothing wrong with TalkTalk retail, I can't rate them highly enough. I get max throughput 24/7 on my FTTC line. The migration from BT to TT went smoothly, we're saving nearly £40 a month having TT fiber and Sky Sports via TT TV.

A quick glance at their sub forum on here also backs that up, it's quiet considering they've got 4.5million customers.

I am using my own kit though, which was solid on BT.

Their spine is impressive, they've been building an impressive core network for years.

-

TalkTalk FTTC

Edited by wolvesmad (Tue 14-Nov-17 11:24:43)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Nov-17 11:56:53
Print Post

[re: wolvesmad] [link to this post]

They had serious performance and support issues some time back but as I said we don't seem to hear from them these days so assume things are improved. Your confirmation suggests they could be a decent option again now.
Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 14-Nov-17 12:36:10
Print Post

I was incredibly sceptical as they were offering 76Mb for a far cheaper price than BT could get anywhere near but they have been superb.

Not noticed any slow downs at all, latency has been very stable. I am on a small exchange though.

They did invest heavily in their core network a few years back and have continued to do so judging by their NOC site.

-

TalkTalk FTTC
Standard User tthom
(committed) Tue 14-Nov-17 12:52:23
Print Post

Talktalk varies massively by exchange my exchange is massively congested but a friend of mine who never has an issue with them but on a different exchange in the city

Broadband Providers Aoll/O2/Virgin Media(Cable)/BE/BT infinity/Talktalk/BT Infinity 60/11 Sync
[img]http://www.speedtest.net/result/3798886040.png[/img]
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Nov-17 15:02:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by wolvesmad:
Nothing wrong with TalkTalk retail,

Except their massive & frequent historical data breeches....

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
To Infinity
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to