General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gordon_k
(regular) Fri 17-Nov-17 22:53:09
Print Post

Harder to switch Fibre provider than ADSL?

[link to this post]

I've been on ADSL for years - I tend to watch films on Blu-Ray / DVD, don't do online gaming, and I'm quite close to a decent exchange & get pretty good speeds.

So I don't really need fibre, but prices seem to be edging closer each year, and I'm now considering it. Faster file uploads would be nice, for example.

Wondering if it's more difficult to switch Fibre providers than ADSL.

I tend to switch often, every year or two. I've massaged my renewal date to shortly after Black Friday and there's often something crazy on offer (year to date was 12 months unlimited ADSL, including line rental & caller ID - with a double dip of cashback factored in - £55 smile)

Will I still be able to bounce back and forth between PlusNet, Sky and whoever with relative ease once I'm on fibre?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 17-Nov-17 23:08:36
Print Post

Re: Harder to switch Fibre provider than ADSL?

[re: gordon_k] [link to this post]

Yes.

Standard User gordon_k
(regular) Fri 17-Nov-17 23:39:22
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Apologies, I'm realising I've asked the same question in two opposite ways there.

Yes, I'll still be able to bounce back and forward?

Or Yes it's harder to switch fibre?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Davey_H
(regular) Sat 18-Nov-17 04:12:32
Print Post

Yes its just as easy as it is with ADSL

In the last two years i've moved from Plusnet > Sky > BT and now I'm just awaiting my price increase notification so I can move again, probably to Now TV (Sky)

Edited by Davey_H (Sat 18-Nov-17 04:16:08)

Standard User gordon_k
(member) Sat 18-Nov-17 14:00:21
Print Post

[re: Davey_H] [link to this post]

Thanks Davey - that's reassuring.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 19-Nov-17 00:47:15
Print Post

You place an order with the gaining provider, ensuring to include your phone number.

Job done. No need to speak with the old provider, once you migrate over, the old provider will close down your account automatically and issue a final bill.
Standard User Mml
(regular) Sun 19-Nov-17 15:06:28
Print Post

I've seen messages on this forum more than once from people complaining they're being asked to pay fibre activation charge again when they're switching ISP. As if it was the old fibre package being switched off, then the package from the new company activated for a fee - and it doesn't sound like migrating to me.
Bottom line, you'll need to look out for fibre activation cost in the new deal every time you're about to switch providers.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 19-Nov-17 16:13:47
Print Post

[re: Mml] [link to this post]

Up until 30/7/14 Openreach charged the provider £50 to transfer the connection to them. From 31/7/14 it has been £11.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 74145/13476Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 19-Nov-17 17:23:58
Print Post

[re: Mml] [link to this post]

Bottom line, you'll need to look out for fibre activation cost in the new deal every time you're about to switch providers.
I have migrated between Sky, BT, Virginmedia, Talktalk, various times without a single charge. I have only ever seen these charges on a few plusnet posts and smaller ISPs.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 19-Nov-17 17:57:43
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

The setup fees i.e. as per adverts and our listings apply to both ADSL to VDSL2, and VDSL2 to VDSL2 migrations usually.

Some providers used to distinguish but with the single fee rule a year ago, they generally stopped that, so that things are simple.

That said its not hard to spot plenty of offers with no setup fee or a lot cheaper than usual

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to