General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Bracken2
(newbie) Wed 22-Nov-17 16:38:25
Print Post

Worth of BT Speedcheck

[link to this post]

When I test using my BT it is always above 70Mbs. When I test with Think Broadband and others it is usually 27 to 30 Mbs. The BT test is exchange to Hub. I conclude that my realistic speed is 30 thereabouts which is not a problem.
Clearly whilst BT are meeting their contract it seems to be rather a con,
Views please?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 22-Nov-17 17:02:25
Print Post

Re: Worth of BT Speedcheck

[re: Bracken2] [link to this post]

The HomeHub will show the actual VDSL2 connection speed information, which is the best guide to the speeds.

If you are actually connected at 70 Mbps, and get speed test results in the 27 to 30 Mbps that is poor, unless of course the speed tests are across Wi-Fi in which case all bets are off.

The graphs from our test also give some clues as to whether you are nailing the speeds or there are some issues, e.g. if quality score is not A or B then something is amiss if you are connected via Ethernet

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 22-Nov-17 17:13:55
Print Post

The best approach is to provide the following
- line stats reported by the hub
- links to speedtest graphs
- your IP profile
- results of www.dslchecker.bt.com for your premise.

If you are speed testing over wifi, there are ways to improve your speeds from the hub.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Bracken2
(newbie) Wed 22-Nov-17 17:22:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

To clarify Al my testing is on my iPad linked wirelessly to my router in an upstairs bedroom. Therefore they should be comparable. I suspect the slowing down is what happens between the BT exchange and where the measuring tales place?

Occasionally all tests give approx 70 but not very often..
So what is happening?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 22-Nov-17 17:52:09
Print Post

So you are testing across Wi-Fi and this is likely to be the big slow down.

If the tests are sometimes giving good speeds it could be the Wi-Fi is behaving better, e.g. now on 5GHz band rather than slower 2.4 Ghz band

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 23-Nov-17 00:04:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by Bracken2:
When I test using my BT it is always above 70Mbs. When I test with Think Broadband and others it is usually 27 to 30 Mbs. The BT test is exchange to Hub. I conclude that my realistic speed is 30 thereabouts which is not a problem.
Clearly whilst BT are meeting their contract it seems to be rather a con,
Views please?
If you reboot the homehub, do the speeds go back up? There was a bug discussed where 5ghz would appear crippled around 30Mbps after a few days uptime (HH5A). Worth doing a test standing next to the homehub, if it comes out around 30, reboot the hub, retest once back online - improved?

It could also be 5ghz vs 2.4ghz in the mix.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Thu 23-Nov-17 00:05:05)

Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 23-Nov-17 07:32:51
Print Post

Taking the 2.4 GHz WiFi, it has a WaveLength of about 12 cms (about 5 inches).

Because of Standing Waves and Reflections etc, moving your iPad around a Quarter WL, ie 3 cms - just over 1 inch, can move it to a radically different Field Strength etc, apart from a slightly different route through the intervening ceiling.

Even the orientation of the iPad in three dimensions at "the same location/spot" can cause different signal levels.

And that is without taking in to account other WiFi and interfering sources close to your location.

You should really carry out such tests using a device preferably connected by Ethernet Cable directly to the Router; or, not as good, with the iPad in very close proximity to the Router.

This is due to the physics of radio transmission and reception, particularly at the Frequencies therefore Wavelengths implied by them.

You may have noted similar with mobile/cell phones, where you may have had to move a more distinct distance to get a usable signal, due to the lower Frequency thus longer WaveLength involved.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-Nov-17 10:12:32
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

That is all true but I can see where the user is coming from - if the BT speedtest can get full speeds then it suggests the WiFi is performing ok - if a speedtest to somewhere else just before or after the test is much slower then it is unlikely to be the WiFi that is the bottleneck.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 23-Nov-17 10:17:44
Print Post

How caan it be a con?

It demonstrates that Openreach, on behalf of your chosen supplier, has provided a connection from the exchange to cabinet and then from cabinet to your house that carries data at speeds in excess of 70Mbps.

There can be a myriad of reasons why traffic is being throttled/slowed/delayed at some point on the connection.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 23-Nov-17 10:28:41
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

IMPORTANT

The BT speed test in the home is NOT using the Wi-Fi connection even if you are looking at the page on a Wi-Fi device. The test is taking place to JUST the hub and no further

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to