General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Nick_Russell
(experienced) Thu 23-Nov-17 14:29:13
Print Post

Silly FTTC question?

[link to this post]

Hi, After waiting many years, our local cabinet has finally been upgraded to fibre. All the surrounding cabinets had been changed some time ago and I was happy to see my cabinet change.

Now my question is, since a fibre line now runs to my local cabinet, why doesn't my speed increase? I realise I have not signed up for a high speed fibre contract, but I was expecting some increase - sadly not!

Does my ADSL connection still go to the exchange over the original copper wires? Do I only get to use fibre optic lines if I switch? It seems odd that BT still want to maintain copper lines.

Nick

Plusnet Unlimited Broadband Netgear D6300 router
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-Nov-17 14:35:08
Print Post

Re: Silly FTTC question?

[re: Nick_Russell] [link to this post]

Nothing has changed on your ADSL connection - it is identical to what it was before. You have to sign up to FTTC to be able to get the benefit. At present the voice path still uses the old copper line to the exchange so couldn't be removed for anyone that also wants phone.
Standard User Nick_Russell
(experienced) Thu 23-Nov-17 14:42:26
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Does this mean that even if I sign up for a fibre contract my voice will still go over copper?

Nick

Plusnet Unlimited Broadband Netgear D6300 router
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 23-Nov-17 14:43:41
Print Post

Yes the actual phone line does not change at all.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-Nov-17 15:00:41
Print Post

Yes, al thatís happened is a fibre fed DSLAM capable of higher speeds is now available for you to order service via IF you do wish. If you donít order, you wonít get ...

Standard User 69bertie
(member) Thu 23-Nov-17 19:58:13
Print Post

We had fibre come into our village a few years back. If I'd stayed on ADSL even now I'd still be on about 1mb/s. Fibre is a totally different can of worms. If you're sat on top of the cabinet (or near to it) you can expect about 70mb/s plus.

But you do need to sign up for it.

Yes, fibre all the way would still be my preferred option (that copper wire is a pain for getting the max) but at the current pricing. Maybe in a decade or so.

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Fri 24-Nov-17 08:19:45
Print Post

BT are forced to keep the copper lines. Sky and TalkTalk need to make money from their ADSL equipment in the exchange.

Even if you are happy to swap to fibre, some future resident of your property may prefer a cheap-as-chips ADSL service, and Ofcom wants them to have the choice.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 24-Nov-17 13:52:35
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
BT are forced to keep the copper lines. Sky and TalkTalk need to make money from their ADSL equipment in the exchange.

Even if you are happy to swap to fibre, some future resident of your property may prefer a cheap-as-chips ADSL service, and Ofcom wants them to have the choice.

While I agree with you, there is absolutely no reason why BTOR couldn't drop / remove the copper from the cab to the exchange.

For the phone they could modify the cabs to include FVA and use the copper from the cab to the home.
And for ADSL They could drop that and provide a similar speed via FTTC at the same price.

So the only cables from the exchange to the cabs that would need to be maintained would be fibre.

So it is possible, but doesn't mean it will happen though.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 312.47 Mbps (down), 29.78 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User witchunt
(committed) Fri 24-Nov-17 14:09:40
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

They did trial ADSL2+ from the cabinet but didn't proceed with it , probably because it was to compromised and to the detriment of other advances e.g. vectoring and LR-ADSL.
Instead of trying to preserve legacy xDSL OFCOM should be trying to promote their retirement.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 24-Nov-17 14:18:26
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by witchunt:
They did trial ADSL2+ from the cabinet but didn't proceed with it , probably because it was to compromised and to the detriment of other advances e.g. vectoring and LR-ADSL.
Instead of trying to preserve legacy xDSL OFCOM should be trying to promote their retirement.

I wasn't referring to the actual tech, I was just referring to the actual speed.

Say the customer was able to get the full Infinity 2 speeds, but they didn't require that speed or the speed of Infinity 1, but the speed of ADSL2+ (i.e. 21 to 24 Mbits) was fine.

It would still be using the VDSL2 Tech, but just capped at 21 to 24 Mbits.

That's was I was referring to.

As for getting rid of xDSL that would be an issue for loads of people that are just that too far from their cabinet to either get FTTC or their FTTC speeds are slower than their ADSLx speeds.
So dropping xDSL would be a bad thing to do at the moment, But I do agree at some point it should be dropped.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 312.47 Mbps (down), 29.78 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to