General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Woolwich
(member) Tue 28-Nov-17 10:36:59
Print Post

Do I need a filter for FTTC?

[link to this post]

I had FTTC at another location which was installed by BT/OR. The 'master' socket had landline and broadband ports and I didn't use a filter.

I'm getting a connection at a new location where I'm plugging in myself. The 'master' socket here is a type "5C" which has only one phone port.

Where do I plug my modem/router in?! Do I need a filter? Like the ones I used to use back in the ADSL days? Like one of the half dozen I threw away?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 28-Nov-17 10:38:32
Print Post

Re: Do I need a filter for FTTC?

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

Yes you would need a microfilter

If the ones you threw away where years old possibly a good thing, as over a long time some filters do start to perform less well

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 28-Nov-17 10:49:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

There must be a way to upgrade the master socket. Is it just a new faceplate with two outputs?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Woolwich
(member) Tue 28-Nov-17 10:53:41
Print Post

You know, I think some were 'brand new', just never used...

Is a filter, a filter , a filter? Or should I look further than the cheapest from PC Wurld?
Standard User Woolwich
(member) Tue 28-Nov-17 10:56:27
Print Post

TBH, I'm not going to be here long enough to worry about it. Not my flat so best not fiddle too much. A filter will suffice. OTOH, I'd be interested to hear if you can buy a new faceplate with a filter built in - just for future reference. That was pretty much what I used to have.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 28-Nov-17 11:03:10
Print Post

Ignoring the ageing effects on some filters.

Older filters were good for ADSL but their high frequency characteristics were not optimised for VDSL although they would still work. Users may often see lower than expected results.

There are a variety of filters out there - some cheap and some expensive and some a real rip off! If you are not too worried about getting the best possible speeds than a cheap filter off ebay will suffice, however if you want the best possible performance, hopefully another member here will be able to suggest the best options.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 28-Nov-17 11:11:40
Print Post

Filtered versions of the 5C faceplate are available, though not on Amazon as older ones used to be, but maybe ebay.

Suspect that not all sources were genuine and some may have been stock going missing from Openreach stores

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 28-Nov-17 11:16:02
Print Post

I see mymatevince.com has closed his mrtelephone shop on ebay until January 2018
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Nov-17 11:33:09
Print Post

It is phones rather than broadband modems (router modems) that need filtering.

Ideally there should be a filtered faceplate and any phones connected via the filter that this contains.

If there are no phone extensions then using a filter at the master socket is mostly a convenient way of connecting the RJ11 cable that comes from the modem.

The property may be star wired, i.e. there may be an extension that is not connected via the master socket but to an earlier star point. If that is the case the extension wiring may cause problems even if nothing is attached to the end and just puting a filter at the end will.not eliminate the problem.

Michael Chare
Standard User Woolwich
(member) Tue 28-Nov-17 11:48:16
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Actually, I don't plan on using the landline at all, not even connecting a handset. So I don't really need a filter.

But now I need an RJ11 to phone socket connector. Like one of the dozens I threw out from the days of dial-up modems...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to