General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Jan-18 08:34:05
Print Post

Re: What's the cheapest way to dispose of an unwanted line?

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

And ... BT managed to cock it up - despite the fact the woman I spoke to on the 6th agreed for the line to be ceased with no charge, today I find out she had listed the line for a migration to a new provider(not a cease as agreed). After a bad tempered exchange with BT it seems the line will now be ceased on the 12th Jan with no early termination charges. We'll see ...

As a side note, my mobile phone has an app that automatically records all calls, in this instance I used my landline so no record on my side - huge, huge, mistake that I won't make again. mad
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Jan-18 09:16:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by Spud2003:
today I find out she had listed the line for a migration to a new provider(not a cease as agreed).

I thought only the gaining (new) provider could request a migration, not your existing provider?

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10
Standard User MatHal
(newbie) Fri 05-Jan-18 09:21:28
Print Post

Never a good idea to deal with utility companies by phone though that's what many insist you do. The reason they insist is so that they can dispute or deny what was said later when they make one of their inevitable 'cock-ups', which always result in the customer being out of pocket in some way.
I have a method of recording from my landline onto my computer and try to do that in cases where I'm forced to deal by phone (which always takes hours and often costs a fortune).
If there is no contract then you should be able to terminate the line at no cost. Any attempt to charge is a simple scam. Likewise if they have notified you of a price increase recently.
If you are still in contract there may be an early termination fee (scam too) which you may have difficulty getting out of.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Jan-18 09:47:25
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
In reply to a post by Spud2003:
today I find out she had listed the line for a migration to a new provider(not a cease as agreed).

I thought only the gaining (new) provider could request a migration, not your existing provider?

Just repeating what I was told, didn't delve into it any deeper - basically just wanted to get off the phone. Initially they even claimed they had no record of me calling in December, they hold all the cards and the experience was pretty sobering.

Currently researching easiest way to record all my landline phones, either with a dedicated box, or maybe even switch to VOIP/Skype/or similar - any suggestions for call recording welcome.
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Jan-18 09:50:17
Print Post

[re: MatHal] [link to this post]

What hardware do you use for call recording MatHal? smile
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Jan-18 11:27:54
Print Post

My voip provider (yay.com) allows me to record all incoming & outgoing calls on my voip line. Recorded calls stay on their online system for up to 30 days and I can also download them.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Jan-18 13:03:48
Print Post

Might well try them out. smile
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 05-Jan-18 15:27:22
Print Post

Transferred a couple of VOIP numbers to Port5060 - they offer full recording facilities. Experience with then, so far, has been excellent in all areas including migration of numbers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to