General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User derby13
(learned) Wed 06-Dec-17 17:43:48
Print Post

All PCPs being re-shelled

[link to this post]

Hi. Can anyone possibly shed some light on something that's been puzzling me? I've noticed that in my town (Belper, Derbyshire, DE56), all of the PCP cabinets are being re-shelled. Everything from the old GPO ones to the modern ones that have only been there a few years to begin with. We've been FTTC enabled for a couple of years so the old ones must have all have the space inside for the relevant connections already. At first the new ones seemed to look exactly the same externally as the modern ones that they were replacing. However I've now noticed that the new ones seem to have extra panels, presumably removable (or doors?) on both sides. About 20ish have been done so far and the remainder are showing on roadworks.org as getting the same treatment. Does anyone know what the purpose of these new cabinets might be please? Thanks in advance.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Dec-17 17:45:32
Print Post

Re: All PCPs being re-shelled

[re: derby13] [link to this post]

Prep work for a Gfast pod roll-out, which connect to the side of the PCP

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Dec-17 19:22:30
Print Post

Our local PCP was re-shelled about 3 months back, September 2017.

The old shell was probably a 1980's, with rounded edges and corners.

When it was removed, the wiring frame inside was leaning forward for some time, at an angle of about 20 degrees.

Almost immediately, my line deteriorated particularly on the "speedofme" tests, losing about 1 to 1,5 Mbs on a 40 Mbps contract; but the line normally could handle up to 80 Mbps, 300 Metres, if I upgraded my contract.

The Up-Load was scarcely affected.

About 3 weeks later for about a week, the Down-Load losses became very "downward spikey", on one occasion dropping to about 25 Mbps, and also affecting the Up-Load, which dropped about 1 Mbps, from 9 down to 8..

Since then, things have improved; but still not as good and stable as prior to the re-shelling.

-------------

Are the PCP internal wiring frames designed to lean forward at such an angle?

BT-OR have visited the PCP relatively frequently over the first few weeks after the re-shelling; and I suspect that these may have been repair visits rather than VDSL upgrades, which generally have been very infrequent.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Nightglow
(member) Thu 07-Dec-17 12:27:07
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Spotted a few cabinets here in Bath being reshelled last few weeks, still a grotty old iron cabinet other end of my village waiting to be reshelled,& another small one hidden in a hedge up on main road.

Edited by Nightglow (Thu 07-Dec-17 12:31:32)

Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 07-Dec-17 16:23:11
Print Post

Ours was moved a few months back. I created a thread about it here. Originally I thought it was as second FTTC cabinet.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Thu 07-Dec-17 16:23:47)

Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 07-Dec-17 17:04:02
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Agreed they look very similar.

The PCP version locally lacks vents and Mains Voltage Hazard signs; and if I have estimated properly, distinct lower than the Huawei 288 FTTC Cabinet.
Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Thu 07-Dec-17 19:27:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by eckiedoo:
Agreed they look very similar.

The PCP version locally lacks vents and Mains Voltage Hazard signs; and if I have estimated properly, distinct lower than the Huawei 288 FTTC Cabinet.

A copper PCP wouldnt have a mains voltage hazard sign on though, as it has no mains voltage.

The newer ones are still vented, but you canít see the vents as the PCP is double shelled. So basically the top has a lip that lets the air in and you can see the vents on the inner layer when you open the cabinet up, you can also see the daylight coming in through the vents inside. But like I say, from outside you donít see vents.

Re-shells are almost always to add additional tie pairs. This could be more pairs for VDSL2, or G.fast.

Icaras

Edited by Icaras (Thu 07-Dec-17 22:31:33)

Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 07-Dec-17 19:40:28
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

Thanks, Icaras, for those details.

I must wander across the next time this new shell is open.

Wonder why the "hidden" vents? Suggests either existing dampness or possible mains equipment later. If the latter, it would be a some-what different environment, to work on in the future.
Standard User Nightglow
(member) Thu 07-Dec-17 20:47:18
Print Post

Well, here a few months ago, local oiks torched a cabinet, had it hidden vents, I reckon it wouldn't have happened.
Standard User witchunt
(committed) Thu 07-Dec-17 20:58:21
Print Post

They are just cabinet shells and can be used to house powered equipment e.g. CCTV , instead of use as a PCP.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to