General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 02-Jan-18 10:43:40
Print Post

LED streetlights - any experience

[link to this post]

Does anyone have any experience of LED streetlights and interference with ADSL/VDSL?

My local authority are on an upgrade programme to change out most of the sodium discharge lamps replacing the heads with LEDS modules - good for carbon emissions, decent light quality, reduced costs for the authority and ultimately the local tax payers. They have bee doing some close to me, and fairly soon I foresee the two closest ones being upgraded.

However, my dropwire almost rests on the head and thus very close to the electronics module with a potential for interference/noise and knowing what small, admittedly cheap, Christmas lights can do, the prospect is a little worrying.

Any comments welcomed. And I have stats and speedtests done on a regular basis so that if there is an issue I will be able to prove the lights are causing interference and hopefully then get them to resolve it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Jan-18 10:51:16
Print Post

Re: LED streetlights - any experience

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Happy New Year MHC.

No, not come across them causing any issues in my travels.

Standard User bsdnazz
(regular) Tue 02-Jan-18 11:14:03
Print Post

We have a newish LED street light outside our house and about 20ft from our overhead phone wire. I don't think the LED street light is causing us any issues.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 02-Jan-18 11:22:58
Print Post

[re: bsdnazz] [link to this post]

20ft is probably plenty of separation though. In my case it is nearer 20cm or probably a lot less.

M H C

Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Tue 02-Jan-18 12:36:10
Print Post

MHC

We have had all ours changed out with no noticeable difference to our broadband speeds.

It was a very quick interesting process. Contractors came along one night with a cherry picker turned the light off at the base then took each old fitting down put the new LED one up and turned it back on, then moved onto the next light. We noticed the light outside change from orange to dark then to white and looked out to watch the process. Took about 7 min a light. By the next day they had all been changed in several streets around.

The light is much whiter and brighter at street level but much darker above the light height.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 02-Jan-18 12:45:57
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

How close are the drop wires in your case?

M H C

Standard User 961a
(committed) Tue 02-Jan-18 12:52:27
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Made no difference here when LED was installed. BT speeds have actually increased since
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 02-Jan-18 13:28:31
Print Post

The LED itself should be zero issue, the driving electronics might be, but if well designed circuitry then should be no issues at all. Installing cheap ebay level kit is not something a council will be doing, since the pay off for the cost of the upgrade is that lights should last longer and thus less maintenance plus lower power consumption.

Christmas lights was more about your older flashing sets that relied on a metallic strip to flash them and cheap imports with electrically noisy switched mode power supplies.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Tue 02-Jan-18 13:58:02
Print Post

MHC

Drop wires are 15-20 foot. from a long span of drop wire.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 02-Jan-18 14:04:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

That is in the nice perfect world!

Councils are looking to keep costs down - and may well be sourcing cheaper products (not from ebay - although I do sometimes wonder!) that may not be as well designed or screened. I have come across high end, expensive electronic devices where the noise floor has been very high.

M H C

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to