General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 02-Jan-18 15:35:02
Print Post

Re: LED streetlights - any experience

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Perhaps every single device we buy and use must go via an EMC chamber before being allowed to be plugged in...

Well designed does not always equate to expensive, i.e. you can do decent designs cheaply.

Am pretty sure of LED street lights were a big RF issue that the radio hams would be shouting, but they already want ADSL/VDSL2 banned.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 02-Jan-18 16:02:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The way I was taught was that everything should be tested to an adequate level for EMC and EMC rejection, safety (electrical, fire, physical/mechanical) and reliability ... You may be able to to the basic circuit design cheaply, but to prove the design and other aspects plus testing - teh whole design cycle, costs money. Unfortunately, manufacturers these days cut down on what they consider non-essential activities and that can have dire consequences - just look at Hotpoint, Indesit, Creda, Swan And Proline Tumble Dryers.

So, yes, maybe devices should be tested for EMC

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 02-Jan-18 16:36:13
Print Post

The lights on this estate were changed from Sodium to LED about 4 months back.

Not noticed any interference with Broadband.

All of the phone wiring is underground - not a pole in sight - but not sure whether that would help or hinder.

------------------

A neighbour and I talked with the Council employee doing an inspection leading up to the change.

He stated that the LED light-levels were poorer, so he was choosing locations to have additional lights erected - one alongside my garage.

Not only were the light heads changed; but the existing posts/standards as well, so the actual change-over took about two weeks on a small estate.

The replacement standards were generally placed about 2 to 3 feet from the existing set.

The new standards are also decidedly taller than the old ones, in part explaining the need for extras.

=======================

Over-all, the lighting at ground level appears poorer from the LEDs compared to the Sodium.

This is also particularly noticeable in the town's High Street, where only the light heads were changed.

Where I park each morning at the newsagents, straight broad road etc, appears "black" now under the LEDs compared to earlier when it was reasonably lit by the Sodium lamps.

Also driving is a bit more hazardous, because of the contrast with the brighter car/vehicle lights against the darker appearance of road surface, buildings etc.

Regarding electricity cost savings, I doubt if these will ever recover the costs of the new and extra standards on our estate, totalling about 26.

----------

Those experiences contrast with our bathroom with a 5-bulb overhead bar light.

One "Golf-ball" CFL failed last week and a second was clearly failing.

I replaced those two with corresponding LEDs.

The bathroom has never been as bright before, starting originally with 40 W Tungsten, gradually replaced by CFL; and now moving in to 3 W LED - apparently equivalent to 35 W Tungsten, on the packaging.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 02-Jan-18 16:42:47
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by eckiedoo:
The lights on this estate were changed from Sodium to LED about 4 months back.

Not noticed any interference with Broadband.

All of the phone wiring is underground - not a pole in sight - but not sure whether that would help or hinder.

Being well away from the LED head reduces any potential RFI or EMC issues, so very unlikely that underground will be affected. As mentioned before, the dropwires here are 20cm or less away so they potential is way higher.

M H C

Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 02-Jan-18 17:04:50
Print Post

I had in mind that both the electricity supplies to the now-LED street lamps; and the phone wiring could be in close proximity underground - but not obvious.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 02-Jan-18 17:07:03
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

They should be a significant way apart and also whereas there may be some noise on the power lines, that is not as likely to be a problem.

M H C

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 02-Jan-18 17:08:13
Print Post

It should be fine, where I am my BT drop cable comes along from roof from the neighbours, then down the house, passes some lights attached to the neighbours house, turns right into my house.

On the roofs we have cables for lights (prob about 5 cables), sky tv cables from sat dishes mounted to the chimneys (looks to be 4 dishes and cables running from that), virgin cables coming alongside the BT wiring (for around 5 houses at least) and one of the business residences runs their cabling for some raindrop effect lights over the roof. I can see it from my loft window, looks messy! There must be bundled 20/25+ cables bundled together over the roof. Weird they have it all on the roof, seems a bit of a cowboy job.

To date, with all that going on, and the wires being bundled we have a solid connection.
Standard User ggremlin
(experienced) Tue 02-Jan-18 18:08:43
Print Post

big clive on you tube has done 'tear downs' on several LED street light heads, including some from china, and they all seem to have good screening. but then also remember they are designed to be out in the worst of weathers, and even for the occasional lightning strike wink
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 02-Jan-18 18:42:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:
Unfortunately, manufacturers these days cut down on what they consider non-essential activities and that can have dire consequences - just look at Hotpoint, Indesit, Creda, Swan And Proline Tumble Dryers.

So, yes, maybe devices should be tested for EMC
That's an impressive list ..... of brands from a single manufacturer. (Whirlpool).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 74145/13476Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User 69bertie
(member) Tue 02-Jan-18 20:05:42
Print Post

Probably much a do about nothing. LED's are not the only things that produce noise. Computers, TV's, fans, indeed most of what you use with electronics produces noise of some sort. You might even find your voltage goes up and down as well. Modern electronic should be well able to handle most of what gets thrown at them. Try borrowing a tester that measure spikes, harmonics etc. You'll have a shock at how 'dirty' your power lines are. You could always buy a 'proper' mains filter with line voltage regulation (cost you about a £100 min. though).

We've had LED lighting for a good 6 months now. One blessing is they turn them off overnight. Does it make any difference to my speeds whether they are on or off. Not one bit. I do know Christmas decorations do though..............

edit.
Oh and btw, they don't always change sodium lamps to LED. Sometimes they turn the lights off altogether. Large areas around these parts that used to be lit are now dark, permanently.

Edited by 69bertie (Tue 02-Jan-18 20:09:29)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to