General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 02-Jan-18 17:47:36
Print Post

Backing up to Cloud

[link to this post]

My main PC failed back in late December 2017, so a replacement was purchased.

Fortunately, all my files etc on the failed PC were recovered and loaded on to the new PC.

That new purchase included a Cloud Subscription; and yesterday, I completed the Cloud Subscription; starting the first and major backup of the complete new PC including those files, covering for some, about 32 years work, so "hefty", about 143 GBs.

That first backup started at about 14:00 hrs, yesterday 1st Jan 2018.

At 17:30 today, 2nd Jan, it has transferred about 85.8 GB, about 60%.

As I am on a 40/10 Mbps contract, I am not surprised by the time taken, BUT was surprised at the wide variations of Upload Speed recorded by the Cloud Transfer/Backup program.

About 02:00 to 03:00 this morning, it was running at about 0.5 MBytes per second.

Breakfast time, it was hovering around 1.0 MBytes/second.

Now at 17:30, it is hovering about 3.36 MBytes/second.

And the program is presenting it as "(3.36 MB/s)", so no confusion apparently with "Bits".

------------

The breakfast speed was not unexpected; and I would have anticipated seeing something of that order over most of the Transfer Operation, say 0.8 to 1.2 MB/s.

That it was so slow in the early morning hours; and so fast in the early evening hours, has surprised me.

At various times over the day, I have noted unusually-high speeds ranging from 1.5 to 2.5 MB/s, with that 3.36 MB/s occurring a few times, has surprised me.

The Average over the total Transfer period is working out at 3.12 MB/s

-------------

Anyone else noted such variations etc?

Just done another check, 4.08 MB/s!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 02-Jan-18 17:59:03
Print Post

Re: Backing up to Cloud

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

4 MegaBytes per second is 32 Mbps, and with 10 Mbps upload on your service clearly the figure displayed is the raw files and thus ignoring any compression they are doing when uploading the data.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 02-Jan-18 19:06:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks, Andrew.

"Compression" had crossed my mind - but uncertain.

It would also help explain wide variations in the Forecast Remaining Time for the Backup.

That has jumped around considerably.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 03-Jan-18 17:04:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

To complete the picture, the transfer was 141 GB, taking around 40 hours, over the 10 Mbits/second connection.

Some uncertain as to the exact time, as it completed during the night, and may be in the range 36 to 42 hours.

-----------

Been occupied on other things, so no observations so far on conventional Cloud Backups of the few, daily, updated files, nor explored the actual Cloud Backup contents.
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 11-Jan-18 16:20:24
Print Post

Since doing this large upload to a Cloud, I have found that my Upload Speed has dropped from typically 8 Mbps to 6 Mbps.

The Download Speed dropped for a couple of days, then generally recovered.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 11-Jan-18 20:29:57
Print Post

Strange, there is no magic that lowers your upload / download speed after you use the upload/download. Pure coincidence, has it impacted your actual sync?
Standard User BobBriscoe
(newbie) Fri 12-Jan-18 11:00:28
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Can you say how you measured these recent changes in speed? And who your ISP is?
Even if your ISP automatically classified you as, say, a file-sharing user and put some limit on your profile, one would expect them to limit volume transferred, not the speed of your broadband link.

BTW, I agree with MrSaffron that the transfer speeds that your cloud backup reported will have been end-to-end speed of the file transfers, which it would compress on send and decompress on receive. A backup app would not be designed to tell you the bit rate of your broadband access. The e2e data rate drops to roughly the link rate when it is transferring files that are already in a compressed format, e.g. jpeg, mpeg, zip, etc. At these times when there's no compression, it will even be reported slightly lower than the link rate, because it only measures the data transferred, not including TCP, IP, Ethernet and PPP headers, which add about 5% overhead before it goes over the link.

(fountain of knowledge) Sun 14-Jan-18 13:43:53
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

My apologies - been tied up going through an extensive document - nothing to do with Broadband.

I did check through the settings etc of my EE Brightbox 2 Router; but did not find anything relevant to SYNC; and am not aware of any problems in that area.

The Upload is still relatively low, on BTW, TBB and SpeedOfMe.

The Download has improved slightly on BTW and TBB; but over the same period with SOM, the Download has been very significantly low, around 12 to 15 Mbps, compared to around 36 to 38 Mbps, the latter this morning.

Prir to that extended Cloud Upload, 36 to 40 hours, SOM had tended to always be higher than the other two on both Upload and Download testing, ie when TBB and BTW Downloads were about 37 to 38 Mbps, SOM was showing 40 to 41 Mbps; and similarly with Uploads, TBB and BTW were about 8 to 9 Mbps, whilst SOM would generally be about 9 to 10 Mbps.

--------------

To be honest, the present performance is more than sufficient for my normal requirements; but still wondering if anyone else has observed similar slowings after doing an extended Cloud Upload.
  Print Thread

Jump to