General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User xtal
(newbie) Tue 16-Jan-18 22:12:29
Print Post

Speed

[link to this post]

Hi

Can any one advise me on the following on checking on several sites my ASDL speed for the NR5 8QH area appears to be 1.5 mbs yet a service provider guarantees a minimum of 2.2 mbs up to 7 for one package and at an enhanced price up to 17 mbs. If the line from the exchange to the dp and to my home is only capable of 1.5 mbs why do the make claims of 2.2 up to 17 mbs and up to 35 mbs on fiber. which is also misleading as it is not fiber optic the fiber is dielectric around the conductor

Why when my line can only support speeds of 1.5mbs do service providers in their sales claim to be able to provide speeds which appear to me to be unachievable..

Thanks for any help

Edited by xtal (Tue 16-Jan-18 22:23:24)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 16-Jan-18 22:18:51
Print Post

Re: Speed

[re: xtal] [link to this post]

The fibre is referring to Fibre to the cabinet, so still copper from the cabinet to the home, but with the active electronics in the cabinet which is fairly close to you much better speeds than were possible over ADSL are available to you.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User xtal
(newbie) Tue 16-Jan-18 22:52:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks

The link will be useful. I am on fiber at the moment. 100 mbs using speed checkers and downloading a certified 20m packet and timing it, my speed varies between 3 and 10 mbs. when the engineer attends without touching the router he speaks to some one on the telephone and my speed goes up to 80 mbs but within a week it has dropped down. I assume I am being throttled. I do not need these speeds as a domestic user I can do what I want with a 56k modem. It was my service provider, kept up grading free but in two years they have doubled the price I object to paying £48 for a 100m service and end up with a 3m download speed.

I am looking to move to the house behind where there is no fiber only ASDL and if I can get 1.5 to 7mbs that will suit my needs and save me some £30 quid a month. I rely on email and although my current service provider has used several email clients, there platform has never been stable. I use POP3 which makes their platform useable

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 17-Jan-18 08:09:01
Print Post

You are confusing me, and I suspect others reading the post...

80mbs do you mean Eighty Mega bits per second as that is the absolute maximum connection speed for a VDSL2 service and thus not possible on ADSL2+ at all.

Who is selling you the 100 Mbps service? Only large provider who does that speed is Virgin Media.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 17-Jan-18 09:09:14
Print Post

That postcode, when used with a house number actually gives FTTC capabilitiy and depending on which house a full 80Mbps down to 40+Mbps

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User burble
(member) Wed 17-Jan-18 10:22:49
Print Post

It puzzled me at first, but I think it's about two properties, present and future.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 17-Jan-18 11:19:21
Print Post

As has been said, you seem to be on Virgin Media Cable at the moment, at 100Mbps. That doesn’t arrive at your premises by fibre optic. It arrives over coax cable. Virgin Media broadband is a completely different system to any other ISP and they don’t let any other supplier use it.

Regarding the speeds being quoted on the checker for (a new?) address, use the address option of this checker, not the postcode option.

FTTP is is full Fibre Optic cabling and usually affordable. FTTP on Demand is probably not something you would want to pay for as it costs a fortune. VDSL (which is actually VDSL2) is Fibre Optic to the Cabinet then ordinary copper to you.

WBC ADSL2+ is the “up to 17Mbps” you are being quoted. The ADSL Max is up to 8Mbps.

The Fixed Rate lines are exactly that and useless for most people. Similarly you won’t find many ISPs offering true ADSL Max, as the equipment for it is being phased out, being replaced by WBC ADSL2+.

Does that help?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 75265/13783Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 17-Jan-18 11:24:05)

Standard User xtal
(newbie) Wed 17-Jan-18 20:34:58
Print Post

I am billed by Virgin, for hundred mega bits per second service the maximum speed I have ever had when a check is done is eighty mega bits per second, this is now marketed as Virgin fiber?. I am 10.2 yards from the cabinet, both telephone and broadband are cabled in a Siamese copper conductor cable. The average speed is four mega bits per second between engineer visits after the visit with only a phone call from the engineer it reverts back to eighty mega bits per second for a week or so.

The house I am moving to is in a Virgin area but being on the end of the line and the dp point being U/S Virgin would not cable across the road to provide me with a service, although the bungalow next door is on Virgin.My new property is serviced with a BT line. I have not had many dealings with ADSL or its variants. AsI have been on 56k modem or when Virgin took over from cable & wireless some 15 years ago Virgins coax as it has never been up graded so it might not be fiber although that is what I am billed for.

I have been led to believe that the only way to get broadband at NR65EB is over a telephone line

I have found all service providers less than straight forward they tell you what they may be able to provide, but want you to sign the contract on the internet without seeing the terms and conditions, a change in the rules for cooling off is now14 days but starts from the time you hit the return key instead of 7 days from the date you received the contact by post, the providers I have contacted give a connection date of 14 days therefore the cooling off period has elapsed, as there is little or no information of what you are buying you may be stuck for up to two years with a unserviceable product.

All I want to know is who can provide me around a 2 mbs plus connection at a reasonable cost along with a telephone
Standard User xtal
(newbie) Wed 17-Jan-18 20:43:24
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Hi

Where can I find the stats? as I do not want to become a victim of your footer.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 17-Jan-18 20:49:58
Print Post

See the checker link I gave you.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 75265/13783Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to