General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Feb-18 17:49:29
Print Post

Switching a SKY phone line back to a BT based one?

[link to this post]

Can anyone give advice switching a phone line from SKY to 'BT based' during a house move?

The line is currently with SKY but I'm planning to put the new owner on a Freeola broadband connection so will need to move things back to 'BT'. I'm assuming it's on SKY LLU as BT checks don't recognise the number.

My searches so far have only shown this to be "hard work" frown
Thanks.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 08-Feb-18 17:52:59
Print Post

Re: Switching a SKY phone line back to a BT based one?

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

You don't put a new home owner onto anything - that is up to them surely.

As for you, to take the number with you when you move staying with same provider is the usual way, otherwise its switch service to the wanted provider in the old property ahead of the move.

Another option is maybe a voip service that supports porting numbers into them and out of them, If you do move a fair bit leaving the number with a VoIP service might be better in the long run.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 08-Feb-18 23:18:20
Print Post

It's hard work because you can't do anything about the current Sky line at the new premises. (That's what I read your post to be asking about). It is in contract with the current occupants until they either cancel it or move it to their new address.

In either case you can then order from your chosen supplier using the address, or as MrSaffron suggested get (the person you are talking about) onto Freeola ASAP then do a house move with them using the address. Depending on their T & Cs about house moves and charges.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 75808/13984Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Feb-18 09:09:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by b4dger:
Can anyone give advice switching a phone line from SKY to 'BT based' during a house move?

The line is currently with SKY but I'm planning to put the new owner on a Freeola broadband connection so will need to move things back to 'BT'. I'm assuming it's on SKY LLU as BT checks don't recognise the number.

My searches so far have only shown this to be "hard work" frown
Thanks.
I donít get why you are setting anything up for the new owners. Leave it to them.
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Feb-18 09:44:32
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Sorry, I should have been clearer!

I'm helping a relative who's buying a house.
The current home owners have everything with SKY.
This means the current phone number isn't recognised by any 'BT based' checkers etc.

Once the house sale completes I would like to move the existing phone number to Zen (line rental + calls) and Freeola for BB. This is the same setup I use which I'm happy with.

If I put the existing number into Zen's phone signup page I get:
"sadly we are unable to process your order online."

Obviously when the time comes I'll contact them directly, but I thought I would ask to see what the process is and if there were any pitfalls to avoid when making a move like this.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Feb-18 09:46:42
Print Post

It will be easier and less time consuming to pick one ISP who handles everything, in that case you call the ISP, provide the address (not the phone number), they give you an install date for phone and broadband (usually all done same day). Job done. If there's an install fee they inform you.

You can also do it online with the major providers.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 09-Feb-18 10:01:18
Print Post

The existing number on the line at the news property, or the phone number your relative currently has?

As far as I know the first is impossible. The second depends on the location and may be impossible, particularly if your relative is not already on Freeola, without switching to Freeola now, as suggested previously.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 75808/13984Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Feb-18 10:11:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I don't think I'm getting my query across here...

No numbers are being retained from another address.

People are moving into a house which currently use SKY for their phone services.
As the number isn't recognised by 'BT based' service checkers I'm assuming the line has been moved to SKY equipment? I just wondered what the smoothest way to move to BT based supplies would be.

Standard User robertcrowther
(committed) Fri 09-Feb-18 10:13:29
Print Post

Usually if it's a house move, then all you have to do is provide the new address rather than just a phone number. This is because normally the previous owner will have course let their current provider know they are moving and the line will cease anyway.
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Feb-18 10:13:41
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
It will be easier and less time consuming to pick one ISP who handles everything, in that case you call the ISP, provide the address (not the phone number), they give you an install date for phone and broadband (usually all done same day). Job done. If there's an install fee they inform you.

You can also do it online with the major providers.

Thanks - I agree it probably would be easier. But 'we' want the Zen/Freeola setup.
I'll contact Zen to take on the phone once we have a completion date. Freeola are friendly to talk to so I'll also ask for their advice.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to