General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BoyGroucho
(newbie) Sun 11-Feb-18 14:21:01
Print Post

House not on BT fibre checker

[link to this post]

Our estate was built in 1986.
Every house including ours has a BT line.
We were originally with BT with a landline but have been with Virgin for 15 years or more.
Our BT line still reaches the house but isn't connected to anything.
The BT Fibre checker shows Fibre is available to every address in our postcode except my address doesn't appear.
So my question is:
Can I get BT/Openreach to check if I can get BT Fibre to my house without having to enter a contract or pay a large amount of installation costs?
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 11-Feb-18 19:37:32
Print Post

Re: House not on BT fibre checker

[re: BoyGroucho] [link to this post]

Try your address here:

BT Openreach Where and when Checker

First Enter your postcode and click search, wait a few seconds and another section to the right will pop up, this is where you look for your actual address and then click on the go button.

Does it show your address there?

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 303.03 Mbps (down), 31.71 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User BoyGroucho
(newbie) Sun 11-Feb-18 23:35:37
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Sadly no.
There are 21 houses on our street (postcode) and every address shows except ours.
The BT line was working when we moved in in 1987.
We switched to NTL cable sometime around 2002/3.
Somehow along the way our house has fallen off the BT grid.
Our postcode can get Fibre, but not having our address on the checker seems to complicate things.

Edited by BoyGroucho (Sun 11-Feb-18 23:41:13)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 11-Feb-18 23:45:06
Print Post

The address option of this checker should pick it up, (not the pure postcode one). It is highly probable that if it does, the estimates are low compared to the adjacent premises. Due to it not having up to date data.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 75808/13984Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User BoyGroucho
(newbie) Mon 12-Feb-18 09:41:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks.
I got my UPRN from my local council (surprising easy, the switchboard lady gave it to me).
and this is the result from the dslchecker.bt.com site after entering only that number.

Link to screenshot of results:
https://s25.postimg.org/xxxsrzztr/btfibre.jpg

From this can I assume that BT fibre will be available to me?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 12-Feb-18 10:16:00
Print Post

Should be. I would double check using the address itself. Iíve never heard of UPRN before, including many years on these forums, so had to look it up.

I doubt if many ISP staff will know what it is either. That database is basically the one the ISP online ordering systems use, so it would be nice to see the address entry works as well. It almost certainly will.

If so you will be good to go smile.

The UPRN idea could come in useful for future queries here as well!

PS: Which field did you put the UPRN in please? The phone number?

Edit 2! Díoh. I see it is a field on the phone number page. I wonder how long that has been there frown.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 75808/13984Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 12-Feb-18 10:19:17)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 12-Feb-18 10:22:24
Print Post

Been there for ages...

For the original poster, if providers are stonewalling then email me Andrew@thinkbroadband.com and will put in an update request for the checker, need the address and the UPRN might help them decipher things too.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 12-Feb-18 10:23:45
Print Post

There is a UPRN field on the BT Checker

Think it is new as don't remember it being there before. UPRN has been around for many years and OS address sets have had a UPRN for a long time. Used a lot when dealing with addresses as it easily allows easy/definitive matching between databases as addresses can be entered differently whereas the UPRN is a single code for each address.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 12-Feb-18 10:29:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Looking at the Wayback Machine the UPRN option wasn't there in the December 2017 capture (or any of the others in 2017) so it appears to be a recent addition.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 12-Feb-18 10:39:03
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Maybe 2 months feels like 2 years for me

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to