General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bowdon
(committed) Fri 16-Feb-18 14:42:21
Print Post

What is the best way to get an exchange updated?

[link to this post]

I am on the Shaw telephone exchange in the Oldham district. I was looking at the recent accepting orders pdf document

On the list under the Oldham District (B);

MRFAI - Failsworth - FTTC/P & FOD
MROLD - Oldham - FTTC/P & FOD
MRSAD - Saddleworth - FTTC/P & FOD
LCSHW - Shaw - FTTC

Rochdale District (B) which is next door, all those exchanges have FTTC/P & FOD too.

According to the SamKnows site, Shaw is 3rd biggest in terms of properties served out of the 4 exchanges.

I'm wanting to be able to order full fibre at some point, whether that is FTTP or FOD. So which place would be a good place to start sending communications to? BT/OR, Council, Or the local MP ?

Who is actually making or influencing the decision to select which exchanges get these services?

Demon => Freeserve => Pipex => Be => Sky => BT Infinity 2
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 16-Feb-18 16:20:59
Print Post

Re: What is the best way to get an exchange updated?

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

Commercial so money talks...

Public money is only being used to get people to superfast speeds, those wanting to upgrade from FTTC to FTTP need to pester the providers, and Openreach is one of just a number embarking on FTTP expansion plans.

So who decides which exchanges get Fibre on Demand is Openreach accountants.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 16-Feb-18 18:05:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by bowdon:
Who is actually making or influencing the decision to select which exchanges get these services?

If you are deadly serious about ordering FoD and your cabinet is already FTTC enabled, then I suggest you get in touch with Fluidone who may be able to persuade Openreach to enable your area for FoD. My exchange (Inverness Culloden) was FTTC only but after asking Fluidone for a quote , they managed to persuade Openreach to open up my exchange for FoD orders and I managed to get the service installed in the end. Apparently Fluidone are one of Openreach’s biggest business customers.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bowdon
(committed) Fri 16-Feb-18 22:06:12
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

I will definately check them out.

I noticed on the contact form on Fluidone it asks for Company.. what did you put in there?

I had been following the thread about getting Fluidone and Cerberus to install fttp and fod. It is very encouraging when us customers can get the big companies to take notice.

I will start making enquiries asap.

Standard User bowdon
(committed) Sat 17-Feb-18 18:40:07
Print Post

So after posting in the other thread it seems that Fluidone and Cerberus are out as I'm not a business customer.

So the 2 paths left open are trying to contact OR, or go down the political path and try to raise the matter at council level at least.

I wonder how much money these companies are missing out. Because no doubt there are a lot of people in a similar position to me. FOD, especially with the new prices doesn't seem that unreasonable. I suspect the average middle class person could afford it, especially when they are buying big OLED TV's that can retail for around £2500. The best PC builds these days are around the £3000 to £5000 bracket, maybe even more.

Someone on another thread, I think Andy, mentioned BT/OR potentially bringing out another Infinity package that would deal with FOD. But is this only going to be open to businesses too?

Print Thread

Jump to