General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User vj531
(newbie) Fri 23-Feb-18 12:15:53
Print Post

Broadband - changing providers.

[link to this post]

Thinking of going from Virgin to BT for fibre broadband and phone. Sticking with Sky for TV.
Not sure of comparative speeds.
Thoughts?

On the off chance I'm in TW13 postcode.

Many thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 23-Feb-18 12:55:04
Print Post

Re: Broadband - changing providers.

[re: vj531] [link to this post]

TW13 is a broad area so some will get slow FTTC speeds and some will get fast

What does https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s... when you use the Address Checker say for your A and B line ranges.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 23-Feb-18 12:56:57
Print Post

Why not go to Sky and get a bundle including the TV?

Given that both VM and BT (Wholesale, with hundreds of retailers with BT Retail being just one), Sky, and TalkTalk have many different-speed products, it would help if you say which VM product you are on.

The other piece of information we need is a screenshot of the output from the Address Option of this checker uploaded somewhere fro us to see. Don't use the pure Postcode checker, it isn't reliable. Scrub out your address on the screenshot above the table of course, but leave the exchange and cabinet number that are on that line.

Why are you thinking of changing? Poor peak time speeds, or bad latency? Is gaming performance important, or film streaming, or what smile?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 75808/13984Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User vj531
(newbie) Fri 23-Feb-18 13:48:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Not sure what this tell you

[img]https://s14.postimg.org/689qqx129/adsl.jpg[/img]

Many thanks
Standard User vj531
(newbie) Fri 23-Feb-18 13:53:40
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I hope this is OK

[img]https://s14.postimg.org/689qqx129/adsl.jpg[/img]

Not so bothered about speed, currently using 50mbs and that's fine for my use.
Looking to 'rationalise' wink my outlay. As a BT sport user I could save. But I'm not sure of the BT mix of fibre and copper on their network. Being told a few horror/scare stories.

thanks

Stephen

Many thanks

Edited by vj531 (Fri 23-Feb-18 13:55:17)

Standard User Toonshorty
(member) Fri 23-Feb-18 14:03:48
Print Post

Unless there's a section for WBC FTTC above those ADSL results, then Openreach fibre isn't available to you.

You could leave Virgin, but your speeds would drop from 50Mbps to around 5Mbps looking at those results.

I'd recommend phoning Virgin and enquiring if they would be able to offer you a better deal.
Standard User vj531
(newbie) Fri 23-Feb-18 14:13:09
Print Post

[re: Toonshorty] [link to this post]

I was told by BT infinity was available ?

I'm on a Virgin tel number so I had you the postcode lookup?

Many thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 23-Feb-18 14:16:17
Print Post

As suggested DO NOT use postcode lookup but the Address Lookup, which when you enter your address will let you pick you actual house number from a list.

Andrew

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User vj531
(newbie) Fri 23-Feb-18 14:25:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

https://imgur.com/a/ZOP9R

Try this

Many thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 23-Feb-18 14:32:07
Print Post

So looks like on top of the cabinet almost and thus opting for a up to 76 Mbps product will likely give you speeds in the 60 to 76 Mbps region.

If you pick the cheaper up to 38 Mbps or up to 52 Mbps products then your speeds would be limited to those figures.

Print Thread

Jump to