General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Blueman2
(newbie) Wed 14-Mar-18 20:43:42
Print Post

No cabinet

[link to this post]

Hi all apologies in advance for the long post but please bare with me.

When I moved to my current house 20 years ago there were only 60 houses and it was deemed to be ‘rural’, and in any event it was dial up or nothing. Apparently because there was only a few houses the gave some or all of the 60 or so houses long lines direct to the exchange. 2 miles ish from my house.

Fast forward a couple of years an we got ADSL at work in the W-s-M town centre, so I started looking for information about my local exchange at Worle. The story was that BT/Openreach wanted at least 400 people to sign up before they would look at equipping the Worle exchange. I duly signed up.

During this time various house developers built over the farmland between us and the outskirts of Worle with several hundred new houses all of which got shiny new green cabinets. So we are not really ‘rural’ any more.

Skip forward a year or so an ADSL went live, and that is basically that is the situation we are in now. Although the Internet performance was great to start with, as more people signed up the performance went down hill.

Although Openreach have been gradually wandering around adding shiny new fibre cabinets next to the copper ones they can not do that for me. So the situation has arisen that houses with a number of 1 to 7 can not get fiber but houses numbered 9 and above can.

On a good day I get 4 to 4.5 on a bad day and/or if the other in the house are online then this goes down to between 2 and 2.5 resulting in a 45 minute program taking anything up to 900 minutes to stream.

I keep on to my ISP that the performance is rubbish for real world use but they just say the speed is actually 6 it is within the acceptable range totally ignoring the fact that nowadays there will be 3 phones, 2 PCs, 1 or 2 NAS devices, a firestick the TV, and a set top box, and a tablet all connected at the same time.

So at last to the questions

Does anyone else have the same problem?
if so have the been offered a solution?
Does the solution work? In the real word.
How much did it cost to implement.?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 14-Mar-18 21:02:21
Print Post

Re: No cabinet

[re: Blueman2] [link to this post]

No cabinet suggests Exchange Only line.

Solutions exist, but when and how depends on how much people like local council are willing to spend, so naming your local council and what exchange you are on might allow some clues to be garnered as to what is happening

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User thomaswarne01
(member) Thu 15-Mar-18 11:17:51
Print Post

Hi, Please can you post the results from these two checkers take out tour phone number for privacy when you post back on here.
BT WBC CHECKER

Openreach Checker

BT FTTP, 74Mbps down, 20Mbps up

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Blueman2
(newbie) Fri 16-Mar-18 19:03:35
Print Post

[re: thomaswarne01] [link to this post]

Hi

below in a link to the output from the checkers, if I got the link right.

Thanks for the responce

Link to checkers
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Fri 16-Mar-18 20:14:27
Print Post

Looks like there are no plans from Openreach to provide anything fibre based at present, which doesn't mean there won't be next week/month/year.
Options if you want an Openreach network upgrade are to look at the community fibre partnership if it's applicable or privately funding an upgrade. Alternatively look at mobile based solutions like the one recently announced by EE.
Standard User Blueman2
(newbie) Sat 17-Mar-18 20:51:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Sorry missed this bit off.

The exchange is Worle (SSWOR) and the local council is North Somerset.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 18-Mar-18 10:28:36
Print Post

https://www.connectingdevonandsomerset.co.uk/beyond-...

Outside their phase 2 project I believe, but they have a goal of 100% superfast in 2020, so reliant on more gainshare money or you chasing a voucher scheme or setting up a community project.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to