General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Tue 27-Mar-18 11:08:58
Print Post

Re: Fibre has just been laid near my home.

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

As you can probably tell, i do that with reading smile
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Tue 27-Mar-18 13:48:58
Print Post

[re: woodmass14] [link to this post]

Finished product just in case anyone was interested.

https://i.imgur.com/GGjgTDZ.jpg

Whether we can tap into whatever is happening under that cover, we will see. Let's hope so. Have a feeling its a simple access port where workers can access the cable if it gets damaged. Oh well..

Thanks
Michael.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 27-Mar-18 14:33:20
Print Post

If you are someone who hopes for winning the lottery but never actually plays than continue your hope

Otherwise I'd say no hope and this is just a couple of fibres to serve a VDSL2 cabinet

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Tue 27-Mar-18 14:39:09
Print Post

I'm a pessimist at heart. No clue why i use the word hope. As you continue reading you can see my pessimism growing. It'll be a manhole for exactly what i think it's for.

More waiting then it looks.

Regards
Michael.
Standard User robnicholson
(regular) Wed 04-Apr-18 09:57:25
Print Post

Isn't it annoying how it's so hard to find out, as a customer, exactly what the plans are. I had to resort to trying to catch the OpenReach engineers yesterday at Bakestonedale to see if I could get some contract details but I missed them.
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Apr-18 12:15:43
Print Post

[re: robnicholson] [link to this post]

Shouldn't that be "potential" customer since we are talking here about a possible new service? I'm not saying that Openreach shouldn't perhaps make their plans more visible but the same can be said of many other companies and organisations, both state owned and private.
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Wed 04-Apr-18 12:16:21
Print Post

It is. Transparency is always nice but to be honest with you, i don't even think openreach know what they're doing yet. I'll be patient and wait till 2020, what's 2 years with 10+ years of slow broadband.

Regards
Michael.
(regular) Wed 04-Apr-18 14:47:48
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Ohh most definitely a potential customer - in fact, not just one but there are eight hours in that area plus a small business park. I normally only get involved when there's an RJ45 connector inside but increasingly I'm getting asked about improving broadband in rural areas. We know that fibre has been installed up the road (clue "Fibre cables overhead" on telegraph poles) but ascertaining whether any of the premises en-route are planned for native FTTP (or whatever) is frustrating hard.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-Apr-18 16:25:31
Print Post

I thought we had got to the bottom of your scenario, i.e. its fibre feeding a cabinet and anything more is hopeless hope from just you.

Its like me having the hope when I walk past a security van that they'll just hand me a large ingot of gold, i.e. passing near is very different to getting access.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(regular) Wed 04-Apr-18 19:20:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
I thought we had got to the bottom of your scenario, i.e. its fibre feeding a cabinet and anything more is hopeless hope from just you.

Its like me having the hope when I walk past a security van that they'll just hand me a large ingot of gold, i.e. passing near is very different to getting access.

No, it's definately not fibre to a cabinet (to then supply VDSL?). There are no new FTTC builds. It's full FTTP-on-demand funded by a group of farmers in the local area. They've paid over £60k for the privilege with possible government assistance. What's unknown is how it's been split to feed the various properties at the top of the valley and whether OpenReach have planned to use the same work (i.e. lots of new telegraph poles) to feed other premises half way up the valley.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to