General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 30-Mar-18 00:50:01
Print Post

BT & Post Office non-broadband rental cuts

[link to this post]

From 1 April for BT line only customers, (no broadband with anyone, even VM), line rental cut to £11.99pm from £18.99. Applied automatically unless they have paperless billing.

Post Office similarly, from 1 May, dropping from £16.99 to £11.50. Not automatic. Customers will receive a letter asking them to confirm they have no broadband.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 71357/13895Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 30-Mar-18 11:07:24)

Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 30-Mar-18 09:32:05
Print Post

Re: BT & Post Office non-broadband rental cuts

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Do you mean £1.99 for Post Office, or is it a typo?

Tony
Happily running Windows 10 Pro on both desktop and laptop
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 30-Mar-18 09:40:48
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

Ouch!

Thanks Tony smile. Fixed.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 71357/13895Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 30-Mar-18 10:18:47
Print Post

How will BT Residential actually know? I have residential line and Business BB - both with BT. If I call up, and speak with Residential they cannot see my Business account in any form - OFCOM enforced separation of information. Business know I have a residential line but will not pass any details to Residential.

OR are not permitted to tell Residential who has a broadband service and who with - again OFCOM competition rules so how will they actually know?

And also, my Residential line is under my name and BB under my company name. I personally do NOT have broadband service from anyone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Edited by MHC (Fri 30-Mar-18 10:20:34)

Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 30-Mar-18 10:25:58
Print Post

Just seen the Money Saving Expert article, it refers to PO changing to £11.50 a month. Haven't - yet - found anything on PO's website about it.

Tony
Happily running Windows 10 Pro on both desktop and laptop
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User pipcoo
(newbie) Fri 30-Mar-18 10:29:51
Print Post

I had a letter from the PO saying they were adding BB to my line at no extra cost and although my line is too long to get much of a service I thought,well ,why not it`s free. On seeing your post I read the letter again and now realise my line rental will reduce if I don`t take up BB. You have to ring up and opt out but it is not made clear in the letter that you will be saving money by doing this. Bit sneaky really and it also triggers another 12 month contract period.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 30-Mar-18 11:12:45
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

Well they wonít, will they smile. New sales would zeroise for a month. On the other hand, if they think that then they could lose a lot to BT in that month. If someone puts in a migration away they wonít be able to tell them about the impending drop, unless asked by the customer.

(Iíve fixed the other typo as well, drat it wink).

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 30-Mar-18 11:21:05
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
How will BT Residential actually know? I have residential line and Business BB - both with BT. If I call up, and speak with Residential they cannot see my Business account in any form - OFCOM enforced separation of information. Business know I have a residential line but will not pass any details to Residential.

OR are not permitted to tell Residential who has a broadband service and who with - again OFCOM competition rules so how will they actually know?

And also, my Residential line is under my name and BB under my company name. I personally do NOT have broadband service from anyone.
Youíll find out on your next phone bill.

I hope you are telling HMRC about your private use of broadband tongue. And not claiming back full Vat on the line rental.

Re how will BT Consumer know, I was wondering that too, the same with the Post Office. The latter are sending a letter, so perhaps relying on trust and honesty. The same applies to anyone on VM cable as well, with a BT or Post Office line.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 30-Mar-18 11:27:29
Print Post

[re: pipcoo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pipcoo:
I had a letter from the PO saying they were adding BB to my line at no extra cost and although my line is too long to get much of a service I thought,well ,why not it`s free. On seeing your post I read the letter again and now realise my line rental will reduce if I don`t take up BB. You have to ring up and opt out but it is not made clear in the letter that you will be saving money by doing this. Bit sneaky really and it also triggers another 12 month contract period.
Looks like an offer you can refuse smile.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 30-Mar-18 11:40:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I hope you are telling HMRC about your private use of broadband tongue. And not claiming back full Vat on the line rental.

It is not a declarable benefit ... so no worry there. As for VAT on the residential line, I claim back exactly NOTHING and it is never used for business calls in or out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
  Print Thread

Jump to