General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User hassy123
(newbie) Thu 19-Apr-18 13:07:09
Print Post

what router would you reccomend for a 350mbps Vm Connection

[link to this post]

Hey guys, i have virgin media 350mbps connection for almost a year now however the wifi is terrible as expected. There are 5 of us who use the broadband and it seems like the router struggles to manage the bandwidth. When i game on my pc/console i use a ethernet cable directly from the router which has no problems.

I have a budget of around £100-200, any reccomendation would be great before i make my purchase.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 19-Apr-18 14:13:17
Print Post

Re: what router would you reccomend for a 350mbps Vm Connect

[re: hassy123] [link to this post]

It may be better to add a Wireless Access Point, or even a couple.

Ignore (for now) the big sponsored adds at the start there and read the links about what a WAP is first.

Another option once you have read up on WAPs, if you or one of the others have an unused router lying around that has good wireless, it is usually easy to disable its DSL connection if it has one and also its DHCP function and use that as a WAP.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 74565/13753Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 19-Apr-18 16:51:58
Print Post

Go for the Netgear R7800, currently the best standalone router -as recommended by nearly everyone on SNB forums.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bsdnazz
(regular) Thu 19-Apr-18 17:18:12
Print Post

If it's the WiFi speed that's a problem you could do worse than turn off the router WiFi and use one or more BT Whole WiFi disks for WiFi access. They're mesh access points and replace your routers WiFi but not the router.

I use these on my 80Mb FTTC and get 76Mb/s access on my Sansung Galaxy S6.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 19-Apr-18 17:26:32
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

https://amzn.to/2HeFoi2 £152 so Amazon so not the cheapest, but people do seem to like it.

The mesh mentioned by others is probably the way to go if you have areas of the home now that have no wireless access.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to