General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User derby13
(learned) Sat 21-Apr-18 16:31:45
Print Post

G.fast over greater distances?

[link to this post]

Hi folks

G.fast pods have been installed on the PCPs in my town (Belper, DE56). Though they are yet to go live, the DSL checker site has started to show estimated speeds. Through checking various addresses, it looks like anything connected to a DP (pole) under 150m from the cab is set to get the full 330Mbps. This then seems to drop as expected the further away you go, until after about 400m where it shows as unavailable due to expected speeds being less than the VDSL speeds that are already available.

Unfortunately I'm just past that cut off point, so it's no good to me at the moment. And despite all 35 PCPs being fitted with G.fast pods, there are still hundreds of premises that have a line length which also rules out G.fast availability at the moment.

But what is the plan for the future of G.fast? I've heard rumours of boosters of some description going in footways to extend the range. Plus also new hardware being in development to increase the initial speeds, therefore increasing the distances that can get a minimum speed. Details seem very sketchy however, and there seems to be very little info available, particularly relating to the UK at least.

Can anyone clarify if there are any future plans to increase the availability to those with longer line lengths?

Thanks
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Sun 22-Apr-18 02:25:51
Print Post

Re: G.fast over greater distances?

[re: derby13] [link to this post]

G.fast is still on a learning/development curve, but any increase in range is likely to be small.
Openreach çould install G.fast hardware closer to end users currently out of range but this gets expensive very quickly, and with FTTP now being the flavour of the month it seems more likely that is the future rather than additional copper base based infrastructure.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 22-Apr-18 14:05:14
Print Post

[re: derby13] [link to this post]

Future all hinges on how well the full fibre roll-out goes and how popular it is...if not popular than g.fast pods/nodes closer to premises might appear rather than more full fibre.

In short no plans are set yet

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Tue 01-May-18 10:41:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Future all hinges on how well the full fibre roll-out goes and how popular it is...if not popular than g.fast pods/nodes closer to premises might appear rather than more full fibre.

In short no plans are set yet

However OR have said it’s very cheap to roll out. I think they imply a lot that it will just be cabinet based, due to cost. My feeling is that they don’t now have any plans to put pods closer to customers.

Icaras
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-May-18 21:21:55
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

Wasn’t there an announcement today about TalkTalk offering an Openreach G.Fast product ?

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 01-May-18 23:28:28
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

April 25.

I wasn't aware of it either frown.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 70512/13708Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
  Print Thread

Jump to