General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User robnicholson
(regular) Mon 23-Apr-18 09:59:29
Print Post

Countdown to high speed broadband for all begins

[link to this post]

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/countdown-to-high...

Is there a list of designated providers?

Edited by robnicholson (Mon 23-Apr-18 15:04:37)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 23-Apr-18 10:14:19
Print Post

Re: Countdown to high speed broadband for all begins

[re: robnicholson] [link to this post]

Are you referring to the Universal Service Obligation, then you are early since it is not 2020 yet.

In short design and implementation in the hands of Ofcom

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(regular) Mon 23-Apr-18 13:19:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ofcom now has up to 2 years to implement the scheme, meaning that by 2020, everyone in the UK will have a legal right to an affordable connection of at least 10 Mbps, from a designated provider, no matter where they live or work, up to a reasonable cost threshold.

It says "by 2020" which is only two years away so I assume the list of designated providers is decided?

I ask because a client is just signing up with notspot for a EE 4G service and wondered whether that is classed as a designated provider? Or whether Openreach has to put in something so they can get min 10Mbps?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 23-Apr-18 13:31:48
Print Post

No, the plans haven't got that far yet and the beauty parade may not be signed off until very close to the launch of the USO.

EDIT : Just to add, Ofcom haven't even gone out to providers yet and haven't defined the terms the providers would have to operate under. Don't hold your breath. They also haven't defined what will be considered a minimum but I don't think 4G would be an approved technology so something else may be provided under USO.

EDIT 2 : To add again... If 4G was considered to be adequate then no matter whether they have signed up for a service or not wouldn't be of relevance - the fact it is available would be enough to rule it out. But, as I said in edit 1 it is unlikely or the number of USO intervention sites would be much much lower than currently expected.

Edited by ian72 (Mon 23-Apr-18 13:40:43)

(regular) Mon 23-Apr-18 14:10:10
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Not for the first time with all of this, I've gone "eh?" smile

So by 2020, one has a legal right to 10Mbps via some route yet undefined as long as it doesn't exceed £3,400 per premises (aggregated). What happens if Ofcom haven't got their act together? How to I exercise my legal right? Can I sue them?
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Mon 23-Apr-18 14:30:19
Print Post

robnicholson

You misunderstand.

By 2020 OFCOM have to have a scheme running that will deliver the USO to anyone requesting a BB service that is over 10Mb where it is not possible to buy a 10Mb+ service at the time.

Not that before 2020 anyone will be able to order a USO service. This may happen but only if OFCOM deliver early.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 23-Apr-18 14:42:41
Print Post

Essentially they have at least 19 months to set up the process (assuming it was by the start of 2020 rather than "by 2020" which could mean December 2020).

If Ofcom haven't got it sorted by then you would contact your MP presumably as it is the government that have mandated this on Ofcom (who will define and manage the process).

I guess you could try to sue Ofcom or the government, you might need deep pockets though and of course Parliament are free to change those laws whenever they wish if enough MPs vote for the change.
(regular) Mon 23-Apr-18 15:04:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Now I understand why you were asking what I was referring to smile I'd pasted the link in but hadn't put anything in the text box so the link was hidden. Link now revealed.
(regular) Mon 23-Apr-18 15:07:58
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

Sorry, yes understand this doesn't kick in until 2020 but on that date one can "demand" they do the work to achieve at least 10Mbps assuming it's below the cost threshold or above if one agrees to pay the difference?
(regular) Mon 23-Apr-18 15:19:21
Print Post

And to give a real life example that one has shared before:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/00o672yrfomggy9/Bakestoned...

This is the site where I've shared photos of the fibre going in on telegraph poles all the way up the valley but uncertainty over availability in the area shown.

There are four houses at Moorside Farm - all served from a single pole. They get <3Mbps at the moment.

So am I right in thinking that sometime in 2020, they will have a legal right to min 10Mbps from one of these yet-to-be-announced designated providers as long as the installation cost is <£13,600 (£3,400 x 4) or more if they are willing to share the additional cost?

Edited by robnicholson (Mon 23-Apr-18 15:24:35)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to