General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User diputs36
(learned) Sun 06-May-18 18:13:29
Print Post

Items in GEA test

[link to this post]

I have tests for both ADSL and VDSL. In the former two estimated line lengths are given'to DP and to DN. I'm not certain what the DN refers to. Is it my house (street outside), or somewhere else?

The VDSL test gives an estimate, assumed from the PCP, but no indication where to. Is it to either DP or DN as mentioned above, or somewhere else? Please!
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 06-May-18 20:43:19
Print Post

Re: Items in GEA test

[re: diputs36] [link to this post]

DN isnít an abbreviation I have come across ? Distribution Node ? But that would be the same as the DP ....

The VDSL stats will be from the modem at the property end,

Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Sun 06-May-18 21:28:31
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

DN typically means Directory Number = phone number

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 06-May-18 21:51:00
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Yep, but doesnít make sense in terms of a question about FTTC

Standard User Gadget
(committed) Mon 07-May-18 10:03:24
Print Post

Could the OP be talking about the various options for checking available speed, postcode, DN or premises identification? Of course these give speeds not line lengths unless they are accessing an non-ISP checker which estimates length by postcode centroid (I'm thinking of somewhere like codelook)
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 07-May-18 11:00:41
Print Post

[re: Gadget] [link to this post]

I suspect the OP is an Openreach new boy sitting some form of exam.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 07-May-18 11:08:42
Print Post

[re: Gadget] [link to this post]

I find the OP's question almost impossible to understand.

In particular, the VDSL estimate. Assuming VDSL2 is meant, how can it be anything but the connections speeds between the FTTC cabinet (not the associated PCP) and the premises the user modem is in?

As for the ADSL estimate, there is no such thing in GEA.

So what is the test the OP is using? Could it even be the BT Wholesale one? But that doesn't mention DP or DN.

Or are they looking at something like the GEA test results that are occasionally passed to users by an ISP? But surely those don't have ADSLx figures.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 67717/13670Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 07-May-18 11:11:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
I suspect the OP is an Openreach new boy sitting some form of exam.
Ah! Now that looks like a possibility. In which case they certainly have a problem with basic nomenclature.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 67717/13670Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User diputs36
(regular) Sun 27-May-18 16:15:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Sorry for confusion, but I like bit about a new boy sitting a test. Countdown from 100 and you could be right.
The test was from ISP while thinking about fibre, and referred to copper line length.
I wanted to know what the difference of the two lengths represented in hope it'd guide in distance from PCP to premises.
Copper Line:
DP Line Length Estimate: 2725 Metres
DN Line Length Estimate: 2818 Metres

2818-2725 = 93 cannot be to anywhere near me, as later test on fibre indicates PCP to premises is ~1000m.
From what I am informed is my DP is according to Google Maps about 120m.

All is now likely irrelevant, so if you want to ignore, please do so! smile
Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Thu 31-May-18 08:42:37
Print Post

[re: diputs36] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by diputs36:
Sorry for confusion, but I like bit about a new boy sitting a test. Countdown from 100 and you could be right.
The test was from ISP while thinking about fibre, and referred to copper line length.
I wanted to know what the difference of the two lengths represented in hope it'd guide in distance from PCP to premises.
Copper Line:
DP Line Length Estimate: 2725 Metres
DN Line Length Estimate: 2818 Metres

2818-2725 = 93 cannot be to anywhere near me, as later test on fibre indicates PCP to premises is ~1000m.
From what I am informed is my DP is according to Google Maps about 120m.

All is now likely irrelevant, so if you want to ignore, please do so! smile

DN isnít being used here in a way we would recognise, as Zarjaz has said. However based on your above post I wonder if itís the line length from PCP to NTE5? As itís a bit longer than the length estimate from the PCP to the DP.

Usually when Openreach give a speed estimate it is to the DP only. Fortunately for most people the DP is right in front of their house.

Icaras
  Print Thread

Jump to