General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Wed 16-May-18 09:24:40
Print Post

Filtered Master Socket

[link to this post]

On my new line Openreach have fitted a "Master Socket 5C". I have to hang an ADSL filter on this to use both broadband (ADSL) and phone line.

At my old house I had FTTC and OR came and fitted a new Master Socket when I upgraded from ADSL. Although it was a bit bulkier it had two sockets, on for the broadband and another filtered for the phone line.

Can you still get these? Or can I swop the removable front plate on the 5C for one with broadband and filtered phone connections?

Another thing which would be nice was if the extension connections on the master socket was filtered so more filter dongles wouldn't be needed.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-May-18 10:35:06
Print Post

Re: Filtered Master Socket

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

This'll do the trick, dead easy to fit and will do all you require.

Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Wed 16-May-18 13:18:31
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thanks for that Zarjaz, looks perfect.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 16-May-18 13:43:16
Print Post

I'm surprised the installer of your new line didn't install, or at least offer, that faceplate. Especially if you ordered both line and broadband from the same supplier.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 66321/13379Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 16-May-18 13:44:26)

Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Wed 16-May-18 13:53:51
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I'm surprised the installer of your new line didn't install, or at least offer, that faceplate. Especially if you ordered both line and broadband from the same supplier.

Yes, both services from Zen. I was too interested in getting the Kelly engineer to fit the Master where I wanted it using my internal wiring to notice the faceplate! Which he did. And he even connected the extension socket with another 5C....
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 16-May-18 14:48:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by Woolwich:
Which he did. And he even connected the extension socket with another 5C....
I think Zen should be demanding Openreach correct both problems free of charge.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 66321/13379Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Wed 16-May-18 15:57:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I think Zen should be demanding Openreach correct both problems free of charge.

Well I had a spare extension socket so I've changed the 5C on the extension and that problem is solved. I think it will be easier to get one of Zarjaz's sockets from eBay than asking Zen to ask Openreach to ask Kelly.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-May-18 16:29:55
Print Post

Why Bob ?

The service provider paid for a line and line box, and doubtless a ‘cab only’ FTTC
install - doesn’t cover the cost of a managed install ...

... in fact there has been a big push on Openreach not to hand them out freely as people quite often were. One or two is OK, but the costs for hundreds a day would soon mount up.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 16-May-18 17:10:30
Print Post

Given the popularity of broadband, it would make more sense if the customer was asked if they intend to connect a modem or router to the master socket. The additional cost of a filtered faceplate to BT Openreach won't be much. That way they can provide a good service to the customer, an approach which in the long term might lead to an improvement in their share price.

Michael Chare
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 16-May-18 17:24:20
Print Post

I would expect Zen to have used the SIM order process, when the preference for a filtered master socket would be high. Even without that is there no discretion for the NTE5C installer?

In any case there needs to be an option for CP line orders to stipulate it at minimal extra cost, independent of any broadband order.

The fitting of an NTE5C as an extension socket is clearly questionable.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to